A wee weekend project

Remember my fire extinguisher project for my SimBox?

Well, I found a new toy. The Firemill.
It’s basically a fancy tube with a regular CO2 bottle.
And I thought, why not use something that will put out electrical fires without leaving a ton of powder behind, to clean up. I mean, an extinguisher I’d might actually use…

So, I bought one. The cheaper plastic ones come in black or white.

Now, who has ever seen a white fire extinguisher in a cockpit?
No, there are regulations to adhere to. Right, @Hangar200? (Yes, I’m fishing for a sea story). And, my daughter has a friend sleeping over in the guestroom, so the SimBox had to be stowed and I needed something else to occupy myself with…

Here’s where I’m at. The Firemill tube got a rub down with some wet&dry sanding and a few coats of red paint.

I also made some cut out decals with my cutting plotter…

Good fun!

14 Likes

Let me see…NATOPS regs apply here…I recall something about no smoking 12 hours prior to flight and no drinking alcoholic beverages within 50 feet of the aircraft…or do I have that backwards? :thinking:

3 Likes

Nope, sounds about right. Who cares anyway, you are going to launch them left, right and center all day. Where day end up, who knows! NOBODY!

3 Likes

The new extinguisher needs a new mount…

Decals applied.
Too much? Sure! I’ll have you banned in no time…

11 Likes

Very cool…

…I think @BeachAV8R might want to borrow it. :open_mouth:

6 Likes

Finished!

Now I just need to make the mount to fit it in the SimBox…

9 Likes

Looks good. :+1:

Wheels

1 Like

You should sell that casing and bracket design back to them.

1 Like

I know you’re all dying to see it in action…

Maybe Firemills ad is preferable…? :wink:

6 Likes

The Firemill holder.

Had to split it in three sections because of the available printing space in my 3D printer.

The idea is that the lid is held in place by a pin. Pull the pin upwards and the lid falls off and you can use the Firemill. I thought a lid was a good idea since it secures the Firemill sideways and also covers the opening, preventing dust to enter the diffusor.
The lid, pin and firemill is held in place by gravity. So no negative G maneuvers from now on… :wink:

1 Like

PMS!

OK, next is the preventative maintenance schedule or PMS (I’m not kidding, that’s what it is called). So you need to hang a tag on it that has a little grid with columns marked Wt. and Int. Then you need to have a seaman or petty officer come through every month and weigh the extinguisher. Each time he or she does, they will write the weight and initial it in the appropriate column…although it is customary to have both illegible. When they finish a card (both sides) stick it in a file somewhere and keep it for two years…or until you forget where the file is located. :laughing:

8 Likes

Bottom part, printed.

6 Likes

I wanted to put a snarky remark like “You take things too seriously, yadda yadda” but to be honest? That’s freaking awesome. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Phew. For a second I was concerned that the bypassing of the Lead Designer would have bad consequences for Troll.

3 Likes

I said this was a weekend project.
I never said it was a one weekend project…

The Firemill holder, printed, sanded, painted and lined with soft foam, attached to a SimBox compatible aluminium bracket.

7 Likes

It looks so nice that I wouldn’t want to use it. :fire: :open_mouth:

4 Likes

I hope I never have to find out how I feel about that… :wink:

3 Likes

This project needs some explosive squibs.

3 Likes

Did you miss the video above, where I put out the raging fire…?

5 Likes

There!
Just need a flag on the pull pin…

12 Likes