Aerges' DCS: Mirage F1

My millanial ass likes CCIP bombing best. Put the thing on the thing and pickle some love.

6 Likes

I love it too. Probably my fav thing to do in the game.

Real world this style has its problems; everyone with sticks, stones…spears…and of course shoulder-mounted weapons, etc has a crack at you.

Sort of related: there’s a video (documentary) of an AH-64 gaggle going into Iraq (pretty sure it was Irag, might have been Afghanistan) at night. Got the snot shot of them and if I recall it was all, or mostly all, small arms fire (blindly shooting at the noise I guess). Wish I could recall the name of this video. Was well produced. Had a female officer in the featured cockpit with the archetype burly, warrant behind her.

You are thinking of this documentary. I have this one myself in my personal library. I watch it from time to time because it is very, very good. Usually, after I watch it I get the urge to fly some DCS Apache. :slight_smile:

Here is the trailer.

3 Likes

YES! That’s it. My takeaway was - they need an A-10 for this.

I’m still trying to wrap my head around attack chopper ops and why they are better than a fast[er] moving (and higher flying) fixed-wing platform. Guess it boils down to time/immediacy? They basically travel with the grunts? Still researching.

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: Attack helicopter employment in the COIN fight

I have way more than my $0.02 to say about that… but I have already derailed this topic enough.

1 Like

I think I may have started that. My bad

3 Likes

Yeah, but I contributed and potentially got it even further off track…

But I guess, welcome to Mudspike. Where a Topic will be about the title for at least one post but if you scroll to the bottom without reading all the intermediate posts, scratch your head and say to yourself - ‘how the eff did we end up here’ :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

To keep this thread semi on topic, I created a new topic:

Attack helicopter employment in the COIN fight

2 Likes
4 Likes

That was good. I noticed something in that video. In this particular video the MIrage F1 has the old RWR on the upper-left side of the cockpit, where the new RWR sits in the new Mirage F1. How is this so?

In the Mission Editor you can select whether you want the old or the new RWR. It is my understanding that the Spanish ALR-300 was a 1990s retrofit to the F1EE. But it is probably also a good stand in for the Iraqi F1EQ-6 which got a modern digital RWR in the late 80s.

4 Likes

It’s finally out!

https://chucksguides.com/aircraft/dcs/mirage-f1/

28 Likes

Great work, thank you @Chuck_Owl !
An easy to digest but very thorough guide, as always.
This is just the motivation I needed to redo my keybinds after they were wiped with the recent update.

4 Likes

I always enjoy reading your guides, though in this case I’ve spent far more time in the Mirage F1 than other jets… I’m looking forward to finding out all the things I didn’t know despite considering myself “competent” in the bird :joy:

My sincere thanks for all your work on these guides, and your willingness to share them with us. To me, they are one of the high points of the DCS experience.

5 Likes

This is your quarterly reminder (since Chuck won’t advertise it himself) that you can express your gratitude financially through patreon.com/chucksguides, starting from just 1$/£/€ per month

8 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Aerges' DCS: Mirage F1:

I am a Patreon of Chucks and I would certainly encourage others to sign up. Chucks certainly a go to site if you are into Flight Simulaltors. With CHUCK I say:

**Actions are worth Dollars
And words are worth pennies

So please send Chuck a $ or pounds or whatever you use.

DCS gives a buggy modules and we must pay prior to receipt whilst Chuck gives you KNOWLEDGE immediately without asking for anythingstrong text. CHUCK gives you more, he had to translate the Mirage manual.

SO PLEASE CONTRIBUTE FOR THE BENEFIT OF US ALL.

SAIL ROMANICHEL**
strong text

5 Likes

I support Chuck via Patreon as well, his guides are invaluable for whenever I start-up DCS for some virtual flying. Without them I can clearly see me getting frustrated googling and looking at the official manuals for whatever function I’m interested in.

Not sure the Eagle Dynamics folk understand how important his guides are, and I bet I’m not the only one thinking so.

On the Mirage F1, while I did spend 0 time with the module, it was nice to see the previews of the guide trickling through the Patreon email system.

Cheers,
TeTeT

4 Likes

Im a Chuck Owl supporter. He is so worth your support. Lets keep him in the black.

8 Likes

The Mirage F1 is available in the free trial program now!

TL:DW;

• basic interceptor variant CE
  • multirole variant EE which adds INS, AAR and optional improved RWR
  • 2-seat BE, basically a 2-seat version of the CE
  • much improved flight model in the most recent update
4 Likes