I thought I’d try a test cast using the TC-814 aluminum plastic, in the mould I just made…
I didn’t think things through…
The TC-814 compund is a lot heavier than the black plastic I used to cast the master.
This means that the pressure at the bottom of the mould became too much for the silicone mould and uncured TC-814 started to leave the mould at the bottom and lower sides…!
After a few minutes, it started to cure and the rest remained inside the mould.
When I demoulded the cast this morning, it turned out not so bad, after all!
The alu-plastic had stuck to the inner walls of the mould, but poured out in the middle, leaving a hollow cast at the top. Rather cool, actually!
The over all shape of the cast was great👍🏻
A bit more bubbles than the black plastic cast.
But the part is really strong and heavy! Almost matching the original in weight.
And it gets that beautiful alu shine, when it’s worn.
So, this is very much a case of learning by doing. I have some ideas on how I should construct the moulds for the mass production.
And I’m even more convinced that the TC-814 compound is the way to go here. This will save me a lot of time and work, in the production phase. Which means a lower cost without reducing product quality.