Announcing the 'Styrspak FPL 37 Viggen'

Awesome!
You’re a CAD wizard! :mage:

1 Like

Looks neat! Could you tell me a bit about the grounding symbol on that CAD drawing? Is it some sort of electrical design sub system in the CAD program?

Nothing electrical. The grounding symbol just says that the part/component is fixed in space (“grounded”). Practical to let “one part rule them all” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oww haha, I was seeing more then there was too it. Would you mind talking a bit about your design choices? I have no idea how one would go about and it looks fascinating!

1 Like

@Troll is the man behind the ideas so I will let him describe the design.
I was just drawing a few lines in the CAD-software and printing. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@martan and I throw these ideas around… I have an idea, he tells me if it’s a good one. We change it some, throws it back and forth and the boundary for who’s idea it really is, becomes blurry. :slight_smile:

And while I can do CAD, he does it with much less effort.

Anyway, the idea is that I need to make the safety and trigger mechanism that works, but much less complicated than the original SAAB design. Don’t get me wrong. The original design is pure genius! It’s just that it’s designed to work while fighting WWIII, going MACH2, with your hair on fire.
I just need it to be easy to replicate, but still work in a flightsim.

So, I’m trying to use magnets to hold the safety in the locked and unlocked position.
The trigger will have a bearing that rest against the safety latch. When the safety is moved to unsafe, the cam rotates to allow for the trigger bearing to be pushed in.

The safety latch also has to be able to activate the button beneath it, by pressing it down.

Here’s the concept.
Will it work?

8 Likes

Back in my day of CAD and injection molds this ^^^ is the kind of stuff I was dreaming of.

1 Like

I get it (I think) The middle position is the hot trigger position? I see hat happens there if you then pull the trigger.

My question is the Safe position. You can still pull the trigger but nothing happens? I don’t see a trigger lock preventing the trigger from being pulled.

What is the reason for deriding the safety lever?

The fact that you all are making me think so much is a tribute to this design! :smiley:

2 Likes

Correct. It’s depicted with a pulled trigger.

No, the small wheel at the end of the trigger arm rests against the cam of the safety latch.
When the safety latch is opened, it rotates and creates a void so the trigger can be pulled.

Deriding?

1 Like

OK - got it. I thought its initial movement would be forward…but there is an up component that the cam stops

Should read “the reason for depressing the safety lever?”

…so…do you tell it that its pet goldfish died, or something equally depressing? :wink:

1 Like

Exactly. The trigger rotates around the forward circle (of the trigger) in the drawing.

Aaaah! I even googled ”deriding”.

verb (used with object), de·rid·ed, de·rid·ing.

to laugh at in scorn or contempt; scoff or jeer at; mock.

:smile:

Depr… Pressing on the safety lever activates the button beneath it. In the AJ37 it originally put the NWS into HI, so to speak. That led to some landing mishaps and the NWS steering system and rudder pedals were redesigned and the button lost its function. In the JA37, which uses the same stick grip, the button was used to uncage the sight.

1 Like

The 3D printed parts that @martan made for me, arrived today!
I added the magnets and the little bearing…
Does it work?
You be the judge…

YOU’RE GOSH DARNED RIGHT IT DOES!!!*

*Yes, I wanted to use stronger words…

8 Likes

Looks and sounds very nice! How does it ‘lock’? I see that when the top right cover is down, it locks the left switch?

2 Likes

Looks better than real! My modifications are all rubber bands and paper clips…did you know that the paper clip was invented in Norway? I think there is a museum in Oslo. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Here’s how.

The safety latch is held in place by magnets.

4 Likes

That’s a common misconception perpetuated by many Norwegians…
The clip was patented elswehere in the world, and first in the U.S. Long before the Norwegian Johan Vaaler patented his clip, which btw was pretty useless.

But the paper clip, or binder as it is called in Norway, Is important for a totally different reason as it was used as a sign of defiance and support for the Norwegian resistance movement and was worn in a button hole of a garment.

1 Like

I just got the first controllers from Virpil VPC.
As some of you know, VPC announced on their old website that they would start selling hardware for DIY controller production. This product group disappeared from their new webshop but I contacted them, and they were happy to help me out.
This saves me a lot of time, and opens up the possibility that we can make the ”knife” shaker to activate… No promises though.

The four controllers are still on a single board, that’s scoured for easy separation.
There’s also a small LED board on the end of each controller board.

10 Likes

Nice ! Was wondering all that time if their DIY stuf will ever return to their eshop.

2 Likes

Making moulds to copy the trigger, safety and a lid, of sorts… It’s important that these parts have the exact shape. The rest of the mechanism will be rebuilt.

Used a little color in the silicone this time…

11 Likes

Casting…

3 Likes