Arma 3 Creator DLC: S.O.G. Prairie Fire is coming soon (Vietnam)

Maybe they’ll have an Agent Orange module you can place over an area to defoliate it.

I wish ARMA had similar fire/physics mechanics as Far Cry 2. Remember that one? It was a terrible game (gameplay was awful and repetitive) but it had such potential. It felt like they rushed it to release and never fixed it. But imagine dropping naplam that started a fire that continued to propagate during the mission. A man can dream…

2 Likes

The 200 meter headshot AI capability is in Arma 3, not much a dlc can do about it. But some AI settings like targeting to < 0.15 and high skill > 0.8 help a lot with more interesting gun fights in the jungle.

Right, AI settings can be adjusted easily enough with the 3den Enhanced editor mod. I typically run with high skill settings and reaction times, except for accuracy, which I turn down to .3-.4, perhaps less if I want to simulate untrained conscripts. You can have a pretty realistic firefight with those settings, and with AI mods like TCL, the AI squads move and work together in frighteningly realistic manners.

It’s too bad that BI didn’t give us those tools (and adjust the AI a little in the default missions/campaign) when it first released, but Arma 3’s matured into a pretty great shooter.

1 Like

Nice detail on the models/uniforms/equipment.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/kDW9V2

3 Likes

Man, look at the detail on this radar. Looking forward to blowing it up.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/WKovkJ

1 Like

Alert! Alert! the Prarie Fire cDLC is being released May 6th!

Source: ARMA 3 facebook page and Steam

Finally, been quite a while when development started.

5 Likes

Well, boys…and girls. Time to free up some hard drive space. This DLC just got released. Approximately 24GB download.

Embargo got lifted on preview videos, so check Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=arma+3+sog+prairie+fire&sp=EgIIAg%253D%253D

5 Likes

Recommend to watch the trailer:

And a video with some more air footage:

5 Likes

Wow!

Those videos are sweet. I wish I could make my missions that good. lol

I looked around the map for around 10 mins. What I’ve seen looks good so far. Unfortunately I had to start work and couldn’t really dive into the map and units/assets.

1 Like

So far, I’m very impressed. Extremely impressed.

Downloading as we speak, will have to wait until I get home from this trip to check it out, but am very excited!

Something I’m hopeful for is more SP/Coop missions than GM had. GM has incredible, amazing assets (far more so than BIS assets), and the absolute best animation talents I’ve ever seen in a video game (check out the AT launcher reloads, for example). The SP campaign was great, had a very well done feel and sense of atmosphere, but beyond that and a handful of single missions/coop stuff, there wasn’t a lot of SP content once you finished the campaign. I keep coming back to see if anyone has made any more campaigns or cold war themed missions using the GM assets, as so far nothing. Hopefully Prarie Fire comes with more, and creators keep releasing mission content.

Unfortunately, based on their website, SP content is minimal and is mostly MP/Co-op focused. I think we would need to rely on mission makers to come up with significant SP content.

Of course, you could come up with your SP scenarios in the editor or in Zeus.

Congrats on the release!
Not sure when I’ll be able to download it but I bought it as soon as I saw it was available.
For less than €20 the amount of content is really impressive!

Cool trailer, with a surprising lack of Fortunate Son!

2 Likes

That looks like a lot of fun. If they are going to call it Prairie Fire, it will need the OV-10 (not seen in the videos). OV-10 Prairie Fire FACs usually operated as airborne commander for the air asset package for insertions and extractions of the reconnaissance teams. Best book on the subject, IMHO:

Question, if I don’t own ARMA3, do I just need the base game in order to purchase this DLC?

2 Likes

You just need the base game. No other DLCs are needed.

3 Likes

Prarie Fire is awesome. Very well done, great atmosphere in the missions so far. What I’m most impressed by is all the new animations for all the weapons; most mods/dlcs use the stock animations for pistols, these folks even created a new one for the 1911!

This is… simply outstanding. I ran two patrols with friends and it was the most fun I’ve had in ArmA 3.

I don’t have any complaints, just hopes for more.

More missions, more kit (where’s the Thompson? I know the 'gnards had a lot of M1A1 Tommies), and just more. Like, Aussie SASR ops, for example.

Either way, it’s an outstanding package.

4 Likes