Arma 3 Creator DLC: S.O.G. Prairie Fire is coming soon (Vietnam)

YES! I’ve been playing online with random strangers (all of my old Arma buddies have long tired of it, and I hadn’t played it in almost a year, so I understand), and am having an awesome time. The co-op campaign is great, some of the best gameplay I’ve ever had, especially on harder servers where the magic-map is turned off and it’s possible to get actually lost. Which, unfortunately happened to me tonight; rather embarrassing. It then spiraled into an impassioned argument between two TLs, which ended in the squad splitting into two factions ala Elias vs Barnes in Platoon, LOL. One went one way, the other went their way, and both came screaming back to rejoin, pursued by large numbers of angry VC. :joy:

We have M1/M2 Carbines, where are the M1 Garands? MAC-VN gave tens of thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of them to the ARVN, who used them throughout the war, it’d be really awesome to have one of those since they were rather ubiquitous.

4 Likes

Every patrol feels epic, every operation has those ‘moments.’ It’s incredible.

We had just found the NVA camp and were creeping around it. At some point, some poor commie spotted us and opened up on our marksman. His buddies gathered around him and I just happened to be on their flank with a clear line of fire.

I had taken El Cid’s RPD incase we needed to go loud. I must’ve put down four of them. We ran inside to grab the NVA officer of interest. He fragged himself, leaving us stranded on the roof top and calling in “PRAIRIE FIRE! PRAIRIE FIRE!” Cue a 10 minute long firefight. We really need to get out of there and since I was the best kitted for CQB? I proceed to slowly descend the stairs on point as I mowed down any NVA that popped up. During that whole exchange, I think I tallied 34 guys and was wounded thrice.

This is the best ArmA has to have, holy hell.

5 Likes

Done. Downloading now…

Picked it up and messed around for maybe 30 minutes. So far I’m digging it, I wish they had some attack helo or F-4 scenarios by default, but I’m sure those will come. I tried out the TDY mission, I may have bypassed some triggers on the patrol in the jungle, but the fire fight in the jungle was solid. So far no complaints and no buyers remorse.

4 Likes

Do you guys feel like it’s heavier on the PC compared to Vanilla Arma3?

Also, and this is purely speculative, if you were to really lower the details to a bare minimum - would that give you an unfair advantage?

If you remove the grass/undergrowth you’ll get a huge advantage as your line of sight is much enhanced. Especially in the jungle.
A guy in the PvP campaign I’m playing is known for playing at most minimal arma 3 settings on Livona and gets 70+ FPS on average , which definitely helps his 20+ kills per battle.

2 Likes

(this is the least sexual “biting lip” gif I could find…)

This looks so cool, cant wait to play it.

You guys need to start saying it’s awful. Lie if you have to.

I reallllllllly don’t want to re-install Arma.

It looks really good…

3 Likes

As long as there isn’t a Huey transporting a platoon I’ll be safe. (gulps)

2 Likes

Has anybody played in the editor? I’m trying to find the civilian vehicles, but I can’t seem to find them. I saw a release video and they looked like static objects and you can’t drive them. But I can’t even find them to place.

Anybody have any ideas?

Speaking of the Huey, anyone know how to start it? ARMA 3 default Left-Shift doesn’t work. TIA

Edit: Never mind. Found it in the mouse wheel menu while as PIC.

Here is a list of vehicles from the official site, cars are mentioned, though no detail. I suppose that you could create a mission and drop a car on a Saigon street (not that I have used the editor yet).

S.O.G. Prairie Fire features 4 asymmetric factions using vehicles to wage war in the jungles, mountains, cities, rivers, and islands of Vietnam.

• 5 new MACV helicopters (CH-34 and UH-1D transports, UH-1C and AH-1G gunships and OH-6A scout helicopter) versus 1 new PAVN helicopter (Mi-2 transport and gunships) with 24 variants. All helicopters have multiple armaments, textures and callsigns to further expand the variety of gameplay scenarios.
  • 2 new heavily-armed gunboats (Shantou class gunboat versus PTF Nasty class patrol boat).
  • 2 new light tanks (M-41 Walker Bulldog versus Type 63) with highly-detailed interiors.
  • 4 new cars and trucks (M54 and M151 versus Z-157 and BTR-40) with 27 authentically detailed variants.
  • 1 new airplane (F-4 Phantom II) with 22 weapons, in USAF, US Navy and USMC colours versus 2 new special air defence weapons (S-75 SAM missile and RSNA-75 radar).
  • 32 static weapons including light and heavy machine guns (M45, M2, M1919, M60, RPD, DP27, PK, ZPU4), mortars (M29, M2, Type 53, Type 63), howitzers (M101, D44) and late-war anti-tank missile launchers (TOW and 9M14).
  • 5 new small boats (2 wooden motorboats and 3 sampans), with many variants, some armed.
  • 2 new bicycle types for moving quietly on the Ho Chi Minh trail.

Edit: I went into the Eden editor and it looks like in the term cars is used in general for most any kind of road vehicle. So perhaps no civilian cars on this map. Can you tell that I’m an ARMA FNG?

1 Like

Thanks for looking. They would be in the civilian (purple) tab if they were drivable. But they weren’t advertised as drivable, but maybe static assets. But they’re not in the static tab (yellow) either. It’s disappointing that they are in the trailer and not in the DLC. I’m trying to create a scenario in Saigon / Hanoi with a patrol on the streets. I have nothing to put on the streets to flesh it out. Not the end of the world. Maybe it wasn’t ready to be properly released and is coming in a patch, or maybe not. Oh well. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @saghen,

the civilian cars are available as properties, best search for the term “car (” in there.

4 Likes

Great find!

WOW this is cool. I picked up Prairie Fire last night and I’m seriously impressed with the quantity and quality of the content. The vehicles, sounds and animations are just amazing. I just need some more single player content.

I didn’t think anyone could match the quality of the RHS mod but this is the best I’ve seen in the Arma series so far. I’ve been playing the series going back to when OFP was first released although I haven’t played much in the last 4-5 years.

Now, if we can just can an update to the core game to actually use my GPU we’d be all set. My 3090 sits at 30-40% utilization while my FPS plunges into the 40’s during heavy firefights. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Agreed with everything you said!

My performance on the new map is unbelievably good. Very few dips, and so much better than Tanoa, which apparently just isn’t well optimized. I don’t know what they did here, but on my gaming laptop with a 2070, I’m consistently getting 60 fps, that is fairly stable in combat. Sometimes it will dip to 40, but that’s pretty rare. I’m mostly playing the co-op campaign, and my view distance is something like 1400, so that might be part of it.

The value for $ of this DLC is really great, I’ve had more fun with it than any other Arma experience, and I’ve been playing the series as my perennial favorite since OFP came out in 2001, so I feel like that’s a pretty big thing to say!

ETA- I guess I do actually agree with what you’re saying, I’m just saying that the DLC’s map seems to run better than any of the others I’ve played. I’m getting even better performance than in Weferlingen, which was pretty good. Never could have imagined a jungle map would run this well!

2 Likes

I think I might have a performance issue with Arma then. If I throw down a couple squads in the editor performance is great (80-120 fps) until the bullets start flying and then instantly fps drops into the 40’s for me. That’s the same on any map though.

You should check out the RHSPKL Prei Khmaoch Luong map. Thats a great map to use with these units.

1 Like

Are you using blastcore, or a similar mod that is called for every tracer or grenade?