Arma 3 Jets and Tanks DLC

Jets in the ArmA series can be good fun, if one has the right plan for a scenario behind them. Same for a lot of other stuff that is out of place, like tanks and helicopters; know the limitations of what can be done and work around them. For example, light attack aircraft and turboprops would work very well, even on the smaller maps. I’ve developed a scenario around a simple MiG-23 that’s basically a 3 way dogfight, right on the relatively small Tanoa map. I’ve even forward ported an old Su-17 and made some interesting scenarios just involving bomb trucking.

BI has problems when it comes to scenario design and story. Why, I don’t know, but ever since ArmA, they seem to have had a lot of trouble coming up with a coherent plot that draws the player in. This boggles the mind because it’s been a number one complaint a lot of people have: where’s the fun missions at?

ArmA could make a great battlefield aviation support sim. Attack & transport helos, drones, VTOL aircraft for insertion. The aviation assets already in the game are very impressive.

The Yak-130 single-seat clone already in the game seems ideal for ArmA, you wouldn’t want anything larger or faster. Advanced jet trainers pressed into the CAS role is right where ArmA needs to stop. Anything bigger or more complex, it would seem to me it would need more “running room” than ArmA3 can give.

Might Consider the Jets DLC…

Just Because…

3 Likes

Looks like it may be a Static object, but the word I would currently describe myself as is Moist.

Edit*

The USS Freedom is a nuclear-powered aircraft supercarrier, which serves as a naval main operating base and can carry various aircraft and helicopters on board. In terms of in-game functionality, the ship is a static object that can be positioned across the map via the 3D Scenario Editor, but cannot be ‘driven’. The carrier supports catapult take-offs and tailhook landings, and features functional autonomous defensive weapon systems.

static yes…not even mad…also free to players who do not have the jets DLC which is nice.

3 Likes

I like the Look of the F-181, I Liked the Wipeout too… but the F-181 being a naval fighter that looks like a F-22A and F/A-18E had a baby just makes me errrrrrr inside…

1 Like

I wonder if there’s a ladder out of the well deck… :thinking:

1 Like

Stern dock. It’s used for embarking and disembarking when the ship is at anchor.

There were plenty of ladders, an elevator, and three separate stair cases. You just couldn’t find them.

3 Likes

I needed a map.

3 Likes

Is that an escher puzzle? :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, that’s pretty accurate.

1 Like

Not gonna lie. That carrier looks pretty cool.

2 Likes

I’m thinking I may have to get this now. It’s got enough stuff that I could have some fun with it.

I’m still not playing MP with it. The community is just way too hardcore for me. If I wanted that much realism, I’d have enlisted and done the real thing.

The Jets DLC looks nice and I’m sure the carrier will be used a lot for embarking/debarking. I just don’t think jets are feasible in ARMA 3, unless they’re used as targets to blown up.

It’s still fun flying the A-10 during CAS during domination though.

So there are no flight model changes with this DLC?

There are I believe, but nothing like the RotorLib for the Helicopters.

Bummer. Even if they just fixed the stall and slow flight regime I’d be pretty happy.

If they havent changed the jet FMs, the cat and arresting gear will be entirely redundant. Current ARMA jets seem a bit STOL. I’ll buy just for pleasure of climbing heroically out of my jet, walking a few paces down the deck, and throwing grenades at it.

1 Like

The responses in this thread make me sad that I never finished my Su-17 project many years back. :frowning:

Planes new toys, well I like it and I think I might actually get more involved in ARMA I have played and joined UOAF but just didn’t follow it through, now looking at the much progress and with jets now its allot more entertaining.

I agree turbo props would be the best deal but younger crowds want fast jets but will give all a try soon and see how it all goes.