Assetto Corsa - Still a great game

5 Likes

I havenā€™t early accessā€™d the new one - is it any good, Assetto Competiiontiotio or something? :slight_smile:

Not tried it. Waiting for it to develop. But most likely I will get it, going by how good Assetto 1 was.

Itā€™s a global pandemic Saturday morning and what to do, but add some essential AC mods, like Content Manager, Crew Chief, SOL, and Horizon. If you only pick one, Content Manager, a GUI replacement, and mod configuration tool, is a must-have IMHO.

But once you have it and the night/weather mod SOL installed, you have access to a new shader mod and preset for Content Manager called Horizon. There was a recent discussion as to the lack of night driving, and how it limits endurance driving. Well have a look at this.

2 Likes

Testing the Race Sim Studio Formula 1990 V12 mod at Silverstone last night. With V12 powerplants, lots of aero grip, but without traction control or ABS, these cars are extremely fun and satisfying to drive. They have the RSS usual high attention to detail, including 3D modeling, physics modeling, and wonderful sound. A lot of return on your 4 Euro investment. I created a 1990 skin pack, but someone has already created a championship, including skins and tracks for Content Manager.

Some screens during an overcast day at Silverstone modern.

8 Likes

On the contrary, some of my best racing experiences have been in entry level racers and econoboxes, like a Golf series that @guod hosted at SimHQ one year. Flogging a slow car within an inch of its life in a desperate attempt at extracting every once of grip while maximizes energy retention, is hugely rewarding, especially with fixed setups, IMHO.

Having said that, this year Iā€™ve sort of enjoyed an F1 renaissance during lockdown. Other than Lewis, Kimmi, and perhaps Ricciardo, they are all new faces to me. Watching the young guns battle P4-P10 has been quite entertaining. F1 2020 and Assetto Corsa with the RSS Hybrid 2020 mod (to cover all tracks of the shortened COVID season), has allowed me to practice and run a short race prior to qualifying, which makes the view infinitely more enjoyable. This version of Portimeo is amazing!

3 Likes

@chipwich Thanks for pointing out the RSS 1990 formula 1 car!

2 Likes

I really really like this car

1 Like

Some Skip Barber racing! Iā€™ve recently been allowed to participate in an open beta of a new community driven racing event website and itā€™s a blast so far. Think Race Department style of organization in a sleek interface that works with a few different racing simulators. Quite possible a strong contender to iRacingā€™s model.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never really been able to get into this game. Like many so-called realistic racers I find the driving is more like a technical exercise than anything I would actually like to do for fun

2 Likes

Itā€™s kinda what racing is yeah! You are constantly balancing grip on the tires and the forces acting upon them, itā€™s not that different from having to take into account all the factors when flying an aircraft. Then you get a ton of extra ways to change how the car reacts to balance changes. And then you need to find the right points on the track to enact all of these changes, which are not even static if you are trying to race and overtake other cars.

Oh, and then you add some fun tire degradation! :wink:

But yes, itā€™s quite technical but I find it extremely fun to do!

But, you HAVE to be racing against other drivers donā€™t you? :smiley: ā€¦

1 Like

HOLY.
S#!T.

I saw it and I still canā€™t believe it.

Yeah that one was quite a show. Would have been absolutely deadly just a few years ago.

If you imagine how many people would be still alive if that kind of technology would have been available some years backā€¦

1 Like

If anyone wants to try the new Miami F1 track before the weekend, a mod has been released on Race Dept. Make sure that you have the latest Custom Shaders Pack.

1 Like

Does anyone know how to adjust the dead zone for a wheel? I had a very frustrating test with the game yesterday. Iā€™ve given up on trying to get VR working in it for now, but on screen I canā€™t enjoy it because for some reason itā€™s given me a huge dead zone.

I donā€™t think itā€™s the dead zone alone, either - I had numerous cases that clearly were dead zone related - trying small adjustments and so on, but sometimes the car just kept turning when I straightened the wheel.
Didnā€™t have that issue with the other titles, but then I can adjust dead zone in most - couldnā€™t find it for AC.

Johnny, which wheel do you have?

This is what Fanatec recommendsā€¦

Assetto Corsa Game Settings
Vibration & Feedback: On
Self Aligning Torque: 65
Wheel Friction: 15
Tyre Friction: 30
Suspension: 65
Collision: 40
Soft Lock: 40
Steering Centre Force Enabled: On
Steering Centre Force: 40

I found thisā€¦

So essentially to change the deadzone it seems you have to tweak thisā€¦ ā€œgamma steeringā€

1 Like

Thank you both.

I wondered what on earth this ā€œGammaā€ setting was all about for a wheel when going through the options - never heard of such a thing!

Itā€™s a G29.

Iā€™m not sure ā€˜less sensitiveā€™ would be ideal - itā€™s already not doing what I want it to. The wheel/driver has no self-control activated such as centering spring etc - thereā€™s the option to have the game do everything and thatā€™s what I selected.

Self aligning torque looks interesting. Donā€™t remember seeing that, but Iā€™ll give it another look and see if that will help.

:+1:

1 Like

So about the G29. It was my last hobby grade wheel/pedal combo. Itā€™s a really well made piece of kit and will last for years. I had the G25, G27, and G29 over about maybe 15 years, and they were all good. There is one small issue though. Due to the design, you will always have a little dead zone in the center. Perhaps itā€™s because they are belt gear driven by a single motor. Iā€™m not sure how Fanatec deals with this in their belt drive wheel bases, because they have absolutely no slop in the center, maybe two motors. I never took time to research it. You can tune most of it out with game and FFB settings, but there will always be a tiny bit of movement on center. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Having said that, there have been virtual world championship won on G29s, so some folks figure out how to deal with it. Far better drivers than I, so I hesitate to mention it.

1 Like