AV8B N/A Tips and tricks

I am just sitting in my Harrier here and am running some tests, but frankly I have no idea what is happening.
Selecting nozzles down, water injection on and going full power:

00:00 RPM 116.8; JPT 765
00:54 JPT starts to increase
00:57 JPT reaches and holds 780, now RPM starts to decrease
01:15 as RPM reaches 108, it suddenly jumps to 114; JPT remains 780
01:30 RPM is steadily decreasing again for 15 seconds and then jumps to 108 again. This 15s cycle repeats for as long as there is water left
02:50 water runs out; RPM stabilizes at 107, JPT remains 780

Can anyone make any sens out of this?

1 Like

Here is a test trying to establish when damage occurs. We are airborne with nozzles forward at full throttle. This gives us 109 RPM at 710 JPT, which is the Maximum Thrust rating which we should be allowed to hold 15 minutes. So far so good.

Now as we are in combat we start to do some thrust vectoring. Setting nozzles down, we get 113.5 RPM at 760 JPT, which seems to be the Short Lift Dry rating which is allowed for 15 seconds. As far as I can tell, the engine starts to show certain signs of power loss after 2 minutes, so 1:45 over the time limit. Beware that without sufficient off time in between occasions, the effect seems to accumulating. Even though the aircraft limitations chart above does not indicate that pilot action is required to maintain this limit (Note 2), the DECS will not limit Short Lift Dry.

Now letā€™s try to reduce power to Normal Lift Dry while VIFFing. We immediately reduce thrust from full power 113.5 RPM to 111 RPM. We should be allowed to use this for 2.5 minutes. As far as I can tell, damage starts to occur at 4.5 minutes, so about 2 minutes over the limit (its hard to tell at lower settings when the engine actually starts to degrade because of remaining power margins).

That is a very limited data set, so it is difficult to draw any conclusions yet. But I will formulate the theory that damage starts to occur after about 2 cumulative minutes over any limit, even with very small RPM exceeding. Considering the number of limits in place as per the limitations chart, this seems to be quite easy to collect unnoticeably during a mission.

Edit: Actually, as soon as you exceed your allowed 15 minutes at Maximum Thrust, damage to the engine occurs instantly!

From what I can see:

Assuming your water injection is ON:

0:00 the control law in effect of the DECS seems to be the Normal Lift Wet limit (116 % RPM). The DECS will try to maintain the maximum RPM allowable as long as JPT (Jet Pipe Temperature) does not exceed 780 deg C, which is currently the case.

0:54: JPT starts to increase due to engine degradation (youā€™re basically firewalling the throttle). Increase in JPT can be the way Razbam interpreted the engine degradation effects. Once the JPT limit of 780 deg C is hit (Normal Lift Wet limit enforced by the JPTL, Jet Pipe Temperature Limiter), a loss of RPM would typically be caused a few minutes after since the RPM cannot be maintained if it creates a JPT exceedance.

0:57: JPT seems to be controlled by the JPTL once again. Your normal lift wet limit is 780 deg C is exceeded since it should be roughly 15 seconds allowed max. Since the JPTL is seeing an increase in JPT, the engine controller will try to offset it by reducing RPM.

1:15: The Normal Lift Wet limit appears to have a combined time limit of 1.5 min. I would assume that once that limit is exceeded, the control law will control the engine to the next lower limit, which is Maximum Thrust (109 % RPM). Since JPT is increasing, the JPTL should control the RPM to decrease to maintain the max allowable JPT limit of 710 deg C.

For the rest, I donā€™t know why it decreases and jumps back again. I would assume it has something to do with the current logic implemented by Razbam (combined time limit A of 15 sec for Short Lift Wet limit). Maybe itā€™s a mistake (counter that resets when it shouldnā€™t).

I know one thing, that when Iā€™ve made continual passes on the range climbing out at full throttle without regarding JPT, the engine will degrade to the point that I can only make about 280 kts RTB. So, there is some sort of degradation going on if you donā€™t mind the temp.

Thank you for your analysis, but there are still things that donā€™t match up.

Why donā€™t I get Short Lift Wet first?

Since Normal Lift Wet has a limit of 1.5 minutes, why canā€™t it (116 RPM/780 JPT) be maintained after 57 seconds?

What I really donā€™t understand in the end is how such a computerized aircraft wonā€™t provide you with an indication on how much time you have left in the current power regime. This aircraft is packed with displays, flooding the pilot with all kind of useful and pointless information, but somehow McDonnell Douglas didnā€™t bother to add a thing on the HUD that says ā€œHey, in 7 seconds you exceed the current rating. You donā€™t need to throttle down if you donā€™t want to but we will add it to the maintenance logā€. The Power Margin indicator could have been such a thing, but it seems it is just a fancy RPM/JPT indicator, which there is already another one on the HUD and one on the front panel! I really donā€™t understand that piece, what is it good for? Is the RAZBAM implementation of the whole thing really correct?

Iā€™m just interpreting what the engine is currently doingā€¦ not what it SHOULD be doing. Big difference.

I donā€™t know how Razbam coded their DECS and JPTL. Typically for engines like that you have a bunch of control laws fighting each other to maintain adequate fuel scheduling and to respect engine limitations. There is no way in hell Razbam was able to gain access to 5000+ pages worth of wiring diagrams and logic SDDsā€¦ so at that point I can only try to figure out how they implemented it. What Iā€™d suggest is to record a video, note a couple of points (RPM & JPT) in relationship to time in an excel sheet and send that to Larry, Ron and CptSmiley directly so they can figure out if thereā€™s something not working as intended. Itā€™s highly possible. I canā€™t say Iā€™ve seen many modern FADECs coded in DCS at all. Most use old HMUs (Hydro-mechenical units) as fuel flow governors, which is in a way a bit simpler to implement.

In a modern FADEC, you have lots and lots of different logics involved. Thousands of pages of documentation. Some of the engines also have a predictive model included (think: a second FADEC, yikes!) to determine what fuel scheduling you would need, which makes things even MORE complicated.

2 Likes

When you are conducting these tests in the air, what is the JPT? I think you may be getting longer time limits because depending on altitude and speed, that would lower the JPT at any given RPM versus sitting on the deck.

In watching many DCS streams on Twitch it sure seems like the Harrier is the new ā€œgo toā€ ride for ground pounders now. Now that the A-10C has been out for YEARS Iā€™m sure people are glad to have something new.

Wait till the hornet is out. Might not be a stream in any other aircraft.

1 Like

True dat !

Oh Iā€™m totally expecting that :slight_smile:

Like most of us who havenā€™t actually flown the thing, I havenā€™t a clue. But my intuition is that the DEC would not reduce power to protect the engine without a very clear and timely warning to the pilot. The temperature limits in the graph above are probably not trmperatures above which components begin to quickly degrade. They are temperature and time limits which if followed will allow the engine to provide a reliability and length of service that was promised to the customer. I seriously doubt that the DEC is going to start reducing the fuel on a guy whoā€™s making an emergency return to the boat with a touch too much gas. The mechanic who downloads the exceedence might not be happy. But that is a completely different thing than an engine that starts tearing itself apart because a time/temp limit was exceded by two minutes.

3 Likes

Help us @Deacon211, you are our only hope! Que Star Wars musicā€¦

Seriously though, I (and I am sure everyone here) would be most interested in your observations if you have had a chance to fly the module?

3 Likes

Hey Paul,

Sorry my friend, but I signed an NDR last summer and have recused myself from commenting on it at all. Otherwise I would have been much more active in these discussions.

Pretty much anything I write from this point runs me down one road or another. :wink:

8 Likes

F-111 confirmedā€¦!!! Wootā€¦!

kirk

2 Likes

FYI, added a bit more meat to the Harrier guide, including Moving Map, radios & some other stuff. Still waiting for features like INS, mark points and waypoint input/edit, but itā€™s getting there slowly but surely.

http://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs-av-8b-harrier-ii/

13 Likes

Ah-ha. Understood. :sunglasses: Your involvement is very good news for those of us with the Harrier module, even though you canā€™t talk to us about it!

3 Likes

Chuck, thanks for all the time and effort you put into your guides!

5 Likes

Thanks Paul, but Iā€™d ask you to specifically not draw any conclusions about my involvement, which has been very limited.

I know thatā€™s like telling you to not think about a cat, it immediately makes you think of one.

The only way to not actually say anything here is to literally not. Say. Anything.

So I already failed! :smile:

4 Likes