AV8B N/A Tips and tricks

Lol. No worries. The Harrier is pretty much my “go to” module now. It is wonderful to fly in VR and it makes you think about things that are not a factor in the other aircraft (landing weight being a big one).

2 Likes

Shouldn’t this sort of thing be covered in the manual or a video?
I might be wrong, but I don’t believe the USMC is in the habit of just giving its pilots planes and letting them figure out what is the right way to use it as they run up massive maintenance on the fleet. They tell them what is allowed and what is not.

Unless of course this is placeholder behavior and it’s going to be different later, in which case they should just tell us to be patient and it will make more sense when they’re done.

Aircraft Limitations begin on page 32 of the Pocket Guide. Our Harrier appears to still be in early release.

1 Like

hi y’all I finally got around to teaching myself some harrier. I can cold-start it and deliver CCIP. Is there still a bug with the mavericks? they don’t seem to cool down like ever

The Mavericks are broken right now unfortunately. The fix will be in the next update though. They will cool down for you though. From what I can tell, the only indication that they have cooled off sufficiently is a small RDY at the bottom of the stores page when you have the missiles selected. While cooling you will see STBY instead. It takes a good 3 minutes for them to cool, which can seem like an eternity.

There is. Don’t know about the cooling part but since 2.5.1 there is no way to make the mav the Sensor Of Interest and therefore no way to get it to lock on a target.

huh. ok. Well something different then; theres a stopwatch bolted to the lower left side of the cockpit but it does not seem to react to any button presses. I wanted to use it to time the mav cooldown.

Speaking of which, they should start cooling down as soon as you select and arm them, right?

In other news, trying vertical landings is hilarious.

1 Like

Yes, as soon as you select them the cooling process begins. It would be really useful if you could start them cooling and then select a different weapon such as the sidearm, but it is my understanding that you can’t do that without resetting the cooling clock.

You should be able to cool them and select other weapons. Selecting IRmav then selecting bombs will (or used to) keep cooling the mavs. I think the only weapon that stops cooling is the sidearms . No idea if that is accurate or not. But previous build did allow selection of other weapons whilst cooling IR mavs

ok just jumped back onto the harrier for some blue flag.

Is it my computer or is the weapon MFD AND mavericks still borked. Beta version.

Problem I have. If I go into A2A mode I can’t get out of it. No buttons on MFD. Only way to deselect it is using the physical station buttons to deselect that station.

Mavericks don’t work. I get weapon fail both times I tried to ready them. Tried D and K version. Granted I tested A2A mode first so unsure if that borked them.

Huh… I managed my first mav shot yesterday, same version as you have. The way to get out of AA mode is to punch the AG button on the left upper dashboard. I got a fail notice on the mavs too, but they worked joos’ fine sah!

1 Like

Guess its still a little buggy. I watched this video. Process to getting mavs off is slightly different than what it used to be.

1 Like

the IR mavs still seem to be a bit twitchy locking up targets … but the TGP works fine

I mean, the module is still in early development :wink:

Bit brave to see it in Blue Flag already, I remember people going nuts about the Mirage being overpowered in certain flight regimes back when!

OK got the mavs down. Not yet quite tactical with em because I take too long to get it right making me waste much of their range.

Next up landing on the boat. I fell off on my first try. almost made it, but I bounced and dropped overboard. The transition from wing born to jet born is the scariest thing I ever done in VR.

Flying the pattern #s will help tremendously.

I bet it will. No just-plop-it-down style flying with such a slim power margin eh

Gives you plenty of time to make it a smooth transition when you are abreast the boat. Also weight management. I also find a little rudder helps keep the nose on course when sliding over the deck.

IRMV is shot with 2.5.1. The TPOD was really bad a few days ago but the latest revision seems to have fixed that. I don’t carry mavs anymore in beta as it is too frustrating. I sorta wish Blue Flag would stay away from the beta branch. If something new and exciting came with it I’d understand.

I’m on beta branch and my IRMVS work as advertised. The only niggle is that the stores computer thinks these are fail weapons because it wants me to strap my man pants on and use unguided munitions :stuck_out_tongue: I just ignore it and zap things with extreme precision from ridicilous distances.