BeachAV8R's live thoughts Dovetail Flight School

UK company, guess they assumed everyone would want to start there first :smile:

Now I gotta retract all that I wrote about skipping fundamentals. Sigh. The point remains though…if someone picks Prescott as the first flight school location - they are gonna have a bad time. Why in the world did they allow me to pick that first? Derp…

1 Like

Well, in that case, they should have made a third location in St. Martin with a nudist beach under the final. Then we could be assured that EVERYONE would have picked St. Martin…

1 Like

Very true, but wholly agree that they should sort of lock you into UK first.

Alright…now he is harping on best glide speed and trim for 70 knots. That warms my heart. After this lesson, I’ll get in my Piper and fly all the way to England to primary flight school. Wonder how long that will take in my Piper?

I survived the Emergency Landing. Yay. Now off to England. (I’m packing my own food cough)

1 Like

OK…going flying in the Cub now!

And edited the second post to reflect:

Mudcat kindly pointed out that the initial lessons are supposed to be done from the England flight school location - why Dovetail allows you to go directly to Prescott is a mystery…but many of my rants above about the basics are (likely to be) retracted based on not having flown the England flights…which I’m doing now…

The cub actually looks really nice…on the outside anyway. Getting a good description of the basics (sighs with pleasure…OK…this is better…thank you Mudcat!)

Ah good…the instructor taxis us to the runway…this is actually quite good thus far. And English instructors sound very knowledgeable.

Actually quite very much liking this now! Saved…!! Again…from the perspective of a new student…this is right on message…

NP, I wouldn’t have known that ahead of time if I didn’t watch the froogle video posted on the other thread we had about it. Thought maybe they would have taken you through all those lessons too if you were going to do the PPL one but, guess not, think they assumed you’d do light first, i dunno, does seem like a bad decision in that regard. Like my decision to fly from KLHZ to 8NC8 and not realizing that it took your current time so I was staring into the darkness lol.

1 Like

I do wish they’d fix the aspect of the little round mission compass in the upper left corner. Since the early days of FSX they never managed to tweak it for widescreen monitors…so it always appears squashed…little pet peeve of mine…

1 Like

Thanks for the preview, Beach. I still feel fine about skipping this one.

Very nice little haze…grime layer on the windscreen of the Cub by the way…looks great. Instruments are still a bit CGI…but I’m loving the dirt runway environment for the first lesson…

1 Like

And I’m getting 25 FPS which seems smooth enough on max settings on my lowly GTX 760. I’m not seeing the tearing that Froogle was…

Is there a way to pause the sim without the GUI menus coming up?

The area around White Waltham (EGLM) looks quite good actually…with regards to the trees and autogen…

Lesson 1 passed…quick and painless. Nice and digestable too…just a short taxi and takeoff with no drama and good pointers. I totally approve.

I see Lesson 2 covers Straight and Level and focuses on trim and power. Nice…

They REALLY need to lock down those other missions until people pick these England flights…

Very good lesson on trim and airspeed with some very nice “by the numbers” teaching (RPM = this speed). Really well done.

1 Like

On to Lesson 3 - Climbs and Descents…aaaaaand…passed that…

On to Lesson 4 - Turns to Headings…

On to Lesson 5 - Approach and Landing…