BeachAV8R's live thoughts Dovetail Flight School

Landing tutorial is very good. Hits all the right spots and the “missions” are well done with voiceovers and the little guiding arrows and highlighted instruments and corrective prodding…

The edges of the trees have a slightly odd definition…almost looks like Borderlands type art…LOL…not a big deal…but could be made to look better I’m sure.

Uh Oh…checkride time. Skills Test - Light Aircraft Pilot License. I think I’m gonna hurl…

Oh shoot…just read the bottom note there:

You will need to accrue 3 hours of solo flight time in Free Flight mode before you can attempt this lesson.

LOL…too bad the Cub doesn’t have an autopilot…

“You have unlocked the Light Aircraft Pilot License DLC, which you can now purchase for $13,500 USD! Note that this DLC requires the $40 Pilot E6B DLC, the $80 FAR/AIM DLC, the $500 David Clark Headset DLC, the $100 Flight Bag Headset DLC, the $800 Leather Bombadier Jacket DLC, and the $100 Monthly Jeppsen Charts Subscription DLC.”

2 Likes

Do the Missions count toward Free Flight time requirement for the checkrides? The missions look kind of cool… I could see Dovetail really making a mint on this if the missions are well designed, continue to evolve, have ever increasing difficulty and types of aircraft/challenges. This is where MS Flight failed - poor content…so far I’m way more impressed with this offering. They had better have follow on stuff in the pipeline though…otherwise people will put it down…they need a constant stream of reasons to buy DLC and get “invested” in your pilot career.

Probably gonna have to go to bed soon. My real life career beckons in the morning…LOL…

The Icing Mission is pretty cool. Short…but fun… Nice moody clouds and all and nice ice/frost effect on the cockpit windows…

Worth mentioning that the program was rock solid stable throughout my entire time playing. No menu crashes, no in-game crashes, everything worked fine…

It should be waiting for me when I get home. Preloaded it two days ago, but didn’t unlock until 2300 (China time) by which time I was sleeping the sleep of the righteous. Or at least getting ready for bed.

1 Like

For the money it looks pretty good so far. Seems decent value if you haven’t got FSX and are new to flying.

1 Like

Dead on. And I haven’t even explored the rest of the world yet in Free Flight. I mean, I’m sure the textures aren’t over the top good…but I’ll be curious how they look region to region. They might even BE FSX textures for all I know. Whatever the case…compared with the very limited and DLC areas of MS Flight - this is a way, way, way better package.

I’m actually pretty excited about it and the Diamond aircraft. Will be interested to see how they build this franchise. I hope it takes off like their train products did…

For giggles I tried to copy/paste the F/A-18 from FSX into the Dovetail directory structure (which is very close to the same as FSX) in the Simobjects folder…but it didn’t work… :stuck_out_tongue:

Looking forward to this:

Hoping that Dovetail makes something out of this - like multiple career modes or paths. Would be fun to have different pilot “modules” as it were (DLC):

Bush
Commuter
Airline
Seaplane
Air ambulance
Helicopter
Military

Etc…with custom aircraft and scenery…I’ll pay a bunch of money over time to have a sim with continuous content releases…I’m a sucker that way.

3 Likes

I would be interested in that, it sounds quite interesting really. Perhaps a better explanation for the start would be good though.

Maybe that is the way to think of this, as a platform for flight stories, with the training being the first one? Dovetail do put a lot of emphasis on the ‘missions’ on the Trains side of things (as let’s be honest, a ‘free-flight’ is literally on rails so there has to be some narrative to spice things up :train2:). A rescue or at the very least delivery set of scenarios would work well on this and scratch an itch for a few people if priced ok.

As I read about it not prompting you to setup your controls, I was reminded how Elite Dangerous starts out when you’re a new player (until you disable the setting in options).

It forces you to do a controls check before you can launch from the station. You literally go down the list checking binds for all the key functions in the sim. Not really necessary after your first couple times launching the game but certainly helpful the first time to make sure you’ve got everything bound.

Seems like something flight sims, especially those with complex controls (Looking at you DCS!), could learn from.

1 Like

I’d just want to be able to look at my control mapping without quiting a server in DCS, to be honest that interface is a massive trainwreck.

bro, do you even 2.0?

2 Likes

some info from their FAQ.

How many lessons are in Flight School and what do they cover?

At launch, there will be 15 lessons covering Light Aircraft Pilot’s Licence and Private Pilot’s License curriculum as well as your night flying certification. Once the Diamond DA42 update is released, you will automatically receive multi-engine training lessons as well.

Will there be DLC for Flight School?

No, Flight school is designed as a standalone experience, therefore no DLC will be made available.

So looks like other than the DA42 and lessons to go with it, that’s all they are doing for this. Good? Bad? I dunno.

@boomerang10 I thought the exact thing, about how Elite Dangerous actually does a “pre-flight check” and how flight sims don’t. Seems silly now thinking about it that it’s missing from regular old flight sims.

1 Like

Who cares about 2.0 when 1.5.3 is where everyone is at?!