BeachAV8R's live thoughts Dovetail Flight School

I’d imagine people who like deserts and changing settings in multiplayer. :kissing::notes:

3 Likes

Is that a thing now? I was under the impression that due to the way that DCS changed clientside settings that it still wouldn’t be possible.

It is most certainly a thing in the current 2.0 build.

Well, then. Make it so!

4 Likes

Well, I’m wondering if they are going to consider other products as stand-alone products or something (?). Thus, you might have Dovetail Flight School or Dovetail Corporate Pilot or Dovetail Helicopter pilot? Maybe they won’t make modules as small DLC and instead make whole products (?). I dunno…I was sort of hoping it would be like Train Sim and become very customizable with tons of ($) content…

Well still plenty of room for their “actual” flight sim to be chocked full of DLC. I don’t know their thinking, but on some level it makes sense, release a flight school to attempt to bring in some new blood before releasing their other Flight Sim. I’m not so sure they realized how many “veterans” were going to pick it up as well.

Train Sim does actually have a bunch of Standalone content as well.

Now this is all DLC you can also get in the main sim, but also with a standalone option, so maybe Dovetail Corporate Pilot standalone isn’t out of the question? Train Sim is chocked full of DLC, Euro Fishing has none to date. Flight School isn’t suppose to either. Their yet to be named Flight Sim, who knows lol. Guess all we can do is wait for more info on that later, though they probably could stand to make it all crystal clear at some point.

Yeah…I’m hoping that is the case…and that the other flight sim will be the one with DLC…

LOL…ah, the pitchfork wielding mob. I visited AVSIM for about 3 minutes yesterday to read the comments and (as usual) much of the community still doesn’t get that this isn’t a sim aimed at them. This (Dovetail Flight School) isn’t the next new thing at all… So the people that are heavily invested in their complaints are really just spinning their wheels (or props as it were)…

From Dovetail:

Greetings student pilots! Just a friendly reminder that the DA42 update is currently scheduled for next month (June 2016). Those of you who have pre-ordered Flight School will receive this update as soon as it is available. Customers who have not pre-ordered Flight School will receive this update 60 days afterwards.

The Out of Fuel mission at Ashe County is fun (takes only 5 minutes) (spoiler below):

I found that full throttle doesn’t work so well…but if you aggressively lean, pull it back to about 1500 RPM and fly at around 65…you’ll end up high and with plenty of energy…

PS - I have I mentioned recently how much I love this forum software where you can just drag and drop the images to embed them? Frog is The Man for suggesting we go this route…

3 Likes

Flew the “Over Powered” mission…landing Koblenz. Again a short (5 minute) and intense flight. I can see how these little missions would be entertaining for new flight simmers. Even for experienced simmers, getting back to stick and rudder and judgement is pretty fun…I crashed on the icing mission a couple times actually…so these aren’t “easy” missions necessarily…

Mission “Low & Slow” is a nice little scenic flight up the river to take an outdoorsman to his lodge area… I think the scenery looks pretty good. Again, most of the negative comments about DFS are probably coming from a user base that is soooo used to ORBX and Active Sky and a bunch of add-ons - so for $15, I’m actually liking this experience thus far. Is FSX still a better value? Probably…but the promise of more is tantalizing…

Yeah looks pretty good for 15$, perhaps my father will get a kick out of this. FSX has sort of lost his interest due to the constant array of problems it is nowadays(original 2006 disc). I’ve got him mostly addicted to virtual trucking nowadays though :wink:

Has anyone figured out how to move the fuel selector in the PA28? I don’t even see where you can select fuel load or anything anyway…but I keep running out on my “Free Flight” segments. Unless I’m getting engine damage from running full throttle… Can’t seem to find a map function either…except for the GPS…

OK…so loaded up some Free Flights today. Changed my preferences to “Unlimited Fuel” because (for some reason), my engine is quitting just short of all my destinations in Free Flight mode. I don’t know why. You can’t set fuel load…and the tanks appear to always be full on the gauges anyway.

Sedona looks OK. Low res mesh (probably default FSX I’d guess) but it looks good enough. Flew up Oak Creek Canyon and toward Flagstaff with the “Building Storms” weather condition. There is no option that I can see for realtime weather…

GPS showing the way…VORs work too…

Comms are taken directly from FSX and appear to work fine too…

Out of curiosity…loaded up starting in one of those FSX “Signature” airports that feature a bit of custom detailing…and sure enough, St. Maarten (TNCM) has the custom buildings and Maho Beach and all that. So this is stuff directly out of FSX again… The lighting and effects look good though. My flight to St. Barts was 10 minutes and it looks like St. Barts mesh is wrong though since the airport is supposed to have that steep hill and end in a bay…but that is the kind of stuff you’d fix with add-ons in FSX…

It really looks good actually…and the GUI is really nice. Still can’t hold back that niggling feeling though that you can really get all this and a lot, lot more in just default FSX. But I get the idea…don’t give a lot of options that appear overwhelming to the newb…sort of spoon feed them this stuff.

BeachAV8R

So wanted to check out what the night flying experience is like. Fair lighting of the cockpit…but the landing light doesn’t work…which is kind of odd. I also picked another of the “signature” locations from FSX…and yes, Vegas is there in all it’s FSX glory. Light textures are a bit odd…they are just little balls for stuff like runway lights and taxiway lights. And all around the city if you are ultra low, the city lights look way too big…like flare stacks from a massive refinery or a huge Chinese lantern factory. It looks better from up high (slew control does work).

Ah…you CAN hit ESC while in flight and go to the Flight Planner map… Making changes while in the Flight Planner to the weather did not appear to change it during the flight however.

You can make “round robin” flights by just entering your take-off and destination airfield as the same place. I wanted to try out the IFR capabilities. It was kind of heart warming to see an old style CDI / GS…no HSI or any of that fancy-dancy G1000 stuff. I dialed in the fog preset…which isn’t all that foggy actually. It’s practically VFR. I would have liked to have seen a 200 & 1/2 option…but once again, remembering the target audience, it probably isn’t necessary. Any-who…had fun just zooming in on the IFR panel and flying the “6-pack” down to minimums without peeking out the window. It did give me a wave of nostalgia over flying my first “true” IFR flight alone down to Charleston, SC and flying an approach to mins in a PA-28 a couple decades ago. I can still remember the awesome feeling of breaking out and seeing the rabbit and all those runway lights.

Again though, I am struck that all of this is doable in FSX, just without some of the updated GUI improvements…

It looks quite nice though, I do fancy how the cockpit looks of the PA-28.

But yeah, all doable in FSX, but how is the tutorials for IFR flying? That is I think the main feature. Not the free flying.

I dunno, I think the existence of this game by itself is a bit telling of exactly how many newbies aren’t willing to invest the time/money to make FSX do these same things. Is there normally training in FSX without adding any DLC or mods? On Steam at least only thing I see is FS Academy, which is a $20 add on.

Yeah, FSX actually has a very comprehensive set of training modules from Private all the way through IFR and Commercial…all included in the base product. They were written and created by Rod Machado…who is sort of the guru of GA pilot training…

And then you have the value added of a huge array of missions in stock FSX:

All for $4.99. If Dovetail’s product existed in a vacuum, it would be an easy sell. But there are so many people already indoctrinated into what FSX offers, that is hard to keep them (and me) quiet enough to let the discovery of Dovetail’s product to be a good starting point.

Don’t get me wrong though - I like what Dovetail has done and is doing…but that FSX bar is just soooooo high…

BeachAV8R

2 Likes