BSOD since installing new graphics card

sigh nothing’s ever easy…
Firstly, everytime I boot my PC the first thing I see is a screen of blue vertical lines with a mass of differing blue blocks in the bottom left corner which seems to take over from where I would have seen the BIOS info.
When I first installed the card and drivers, part way through the installation it blue screened and then did so 3 more times in a loop until Windows did a recovery and I got into Windows. Uninstalled the driver and downloaded new and reinstalled. Everything went ok for a day then one blue screen at startup but then was ok and games were playing fine.
Last night (the blue lines are always there constantly at boot) had a blue screen whilst playing. Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, trying the newest one. Removed graphics card and tried in different PCIe slot. Tried a game and it ran at great FPS but had jerky movement giving the effect that it had terrible FPS but the FPS counter said 50-60… Restarted and tried another game, no problems ran fine. Mechwarrior 5 froze at the main menu but I could still alt-tab out…
Tried DCS and ran and has always throughout these tests run great, never crashed.
It seems very random and the BSOD error code is different most times and I’m stumped. It’s all started since adding this new card and I’ve never had a bsod in Windows 10 before.
Anyone have ideas what to try next?

Can you put the old card back and check for errors or a replication of the BSOD, my money would be a failing PSU, or some damage to the new card possibly

Vertical artifacts can be a sign of a faulty monitor connection, though they are usually red, not blue. This doesn’t explain the stability issues, however.

Or just the powercables to the card…

1 Like

I still have the old card yes, so I’ll try that tonight. The new card is less power intensive than the old one and I’ve never had any issues before.

I did find online someone else who was seeing the same thing but no one ever answered so can’t see what their issue was. It’s connected with a DVI at the moment but I have a HDMI port too so I could try that also.

I have another set of 8pin connectors so I will try those tonight. My initial thoughts were a bad card?..

With all the stability issues you have, I agree with the others, it’s either faulty firmware, hardware or a supply voltage problem. Is the TDP of your new card significantly higher than that of the old?

TDP? I have a Corsair TX650w PSU and I believe it’s less of a power drain than the GTX960 I had before.

Found this with someone having a similar problem RX 570 Windows 10 Driver Nightmare - AMD Community

Could it be that the motherboard is just too old?..

Also my BIOS is the oldest for my Mobo I found out last night. Should I flash the BIOS?
I’ve never done this before and everything I read seems to say don’t so it as it could fail and I’m screwed so is it worth trying?

What is your new card?

TDP = Thermal Design Power

It’s an RX 570 8gb Armor OC and the original card was a GTX960 2gb.

It’s actually 30-60Watts more for the new card, depending on the design. Still shouldn’t be an issue for your PSU.

1 Like

Unless this is a common issue for your make of motherboard and GPU(you’d find lots of hits on google) i’d hold off on flashing the BIOS. While many modern Mainboards have quite redundant failsafes if you bork the BIOS, but that depends heavily on the manufacturer and price range.

1 Like

I’d rather not flash it so I’ll go with that lol
It’s odd how I’m having problems in some games and not others. DCS is fine so far and I told myself I was just going to use my PC as a simming machine (DCS, iL2 etc) once I’d upgraded and use my PS4 for other games and I was just seeing how other games ran. If it’s running what I want okay do I have a problem? Lol this is a lazy comment I know…

What’s your MB? In older times some BIOS based MBs had Dual-BIOS feature (which saved me on one occasion) - you could bork your flash and the mobo would still self-restore its BIOS.

With new UEFI it’s a lot easier. You just enter UEFI and update from there - it should download latest version from the internet.

Does your new card was brand new? I had few cases, where the card I got (warranty replacement) failed after few days with different symptomps - artifacts in 3D (miscalculated vertices), artifacts in 2D (similar lines you described during POST), random shutdowns etc. In the end it was graphics cards - the guy that issued me the replacement cards used some after-repair models which were obvioulsy faulty. In the end I bought brand new card from different retailer and never had another issue.

It’s a Gigabyte ga-ex58-ud3r https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-EX58-UD3R-rev-10-11#ov and apparently it does have dual bios. I didn’t realise that’s what it meant. So I could try and do it and should be ok? Just to get that issue out of the way I guess and if it’s safe to do so I might as well…

Yeah it was a brand new card from Amazon, all sealed.

Yeah, I had older Gigabyte mobo back in 2003 that feature dual BIOS.

DualBIOS™ is a GIGABYTE patented technology that automatically recovers BIOS data when main BIOS has crashed or failed. Featuring 2 physical BIOS ROMs integrated onboard, GIGABYTE DualBIOS™ allows quick and seamless recovery from BIOS damage or failure due to viruses or improper BIOS updating.

I would try to update BIOS and see if that helps.

1 Like

I’ll try that first :slight_smile: