By the G pulling balls of Olds, why no F-4 in DCS?

So amidst your very thinly veiled outrage, I heard:

Echo’s don’t have catapult attachment gear. Hmm that is a problem.

See I can ignore the multiple variants thing, I am just trying to be practical. This is ED. There are many variants of the F-86, we got one. There are more versions of the 109 than patience, we got one. I am just playing the hand I am being dealt.

But taking off from the front of the boat is kinda a big deal.

Hmmm…

Can we put a Navy skin on the Air Force Rhino and land and take off from the Kusnetsov?

3 Likes

I feel like there’d be pretty minimal suspension of disbelief if you could flick a switch and magically get CATOBAR capability on whatever iteration of the E we get.

Even more so if slick Vietnam-era skins are included in the mix.

Didnt the F-4s use Briddles and not Launch Bars?

There was no Catapult Equipment in the Gear.

Correct, but it still needed bridle attachment points.

the amount of meh gusta…

SOON (plus or minus a few years)

I will lead a four ship of phantoms against the mig-21 hordes in DCS

IT WILL HAPPEN!!!

8 Likes

You might as well just get SF2.

Although, I don’t recommend it.

1 Like

I hope they bring us some napalm to serve with this baby. Deforesting LZs for hueys would be fun.

1 Like

Does anybody know whether they will release the Hind first and then start working on the F-4 or will it happen in parallel?

Anyway it will probably be a good exercise in regards to patience and expectation control :smiley:

It sounds like The M-24P has been in development for quite a while but then was shelved when ED called upon BelSimtek to work their Magic on the upcoming Hornet,I’m guessing The Hind is closer than The Phantom.

In the past Belsimtek seem to be quite tight lipped about what they are doing until its nearly ready to go out the door … well that is what I am hoping for :grin:

3 Likes

You called?

TEMPUS! @tempusmurphy Niiiice to see you here.
Even though my memory is not what it used to be and maybe you revealed yourself before and I forgot.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Good to see you as well mate …:smile:

2 Likes

https://instagram.com/p/BTWttzQDMcR/

3 Likes

A great addition. So many countries flew those.

There was this interesting post on the ED forum about capabilities:

[quote]

Early ones smoked, later ones didn’t. Smoke could be used tactically to deceive the enemy (the Navy) by running in in Mil (full smoke mode) then going Tac Burner (one in idle, one in min AB) which killed the smoke. A good posthole for ana altitude split would then allow an unobserved entry on doofuses who hadn’t seen that trick before.

F-4C/D/E radar A/G mapping was very basic - much like the Viggen (but reversed video - water was dark, land was bright). Good for finding islands, lakes, etc. NO terrain following capability (RF-4s had that, somewhat, different radar). On a cross country from Kadena to Osan I practiced a Nuke attack on Nagasaki using the radar mapping of the land water contrast (tone switch outboard, of course). It just had to be done…

Pre-ARN-101 F-4Es (and Ds) had a radar ranging based system called Dive Toss. When it worked, it was pretty good - much better in combat than anyone dropping manual bombs using the iron sight. If you wanted to win quarters with it on the range, you had to cultivate the radar and WRCS tech to tweak it a lot. WSO had to select DT mode, then lock on to the ground return at the beginning of the dive; then the pilot pressed and held the pickle button and flew his ass over the target - the bombs (usually 6 x MK 82s on TERs) came off at the computed range and angle.

ARN-101 - modded Es had a pretty good CCIP mode, except that the “HUD” did not have the CCIP predictor line. It was just the A/A gun reticle (with range bar for ranging - again off the radar) that continuously showed the impact point. Pilot had to fly the pipper to the target, in parameters, and pickle when it crossed the target. Pretty accurate with some practice, but I preferred the Dive Toss (CCRP) mode because you could maneuver more during the delivery.

Before ARN mod, carried Pave Spike TV pod to guide GBU-10/12s. Could use Mavericks but we only had As and Bs (no IR) and they were pretty much useless unless plinking tanks in the desert. ARN-101 jets could carry the Pave Truck (uh - Pave Tack) on the centerline - awesome TV/IR pod that was really just too big for the F-4 but perfect for the 111.

GBU-15s were fun - In training you would fly as a two ship taking turns being the guider and the bomb. The bomb jet would press in to the selected target (a local Prison , or Pedro’s truck stop on I-95) “being the bomb” following the guiders commands. Pissed off a few people pressing a bit too close… This was before the GPS aided EGBU-15s and AGM-130s that the F-15Es later carried, so you had to navigate and fly the bomb via visual landmarks all the way to the target. REAL easy to screw up!

USAF F-4s never carried AIM-7Fs or Ms - All we ever carried were AIM-7E-3s. Killed a few Firebee drones with those mothers - the “Great White Hope”. For heaters, we carried 9Js and 9Ps. It was interesting fighting the early German F-4Fs (before the radar/AMRAAM upgrade); they had smoking J-79s, we didn’t, they only had AIM-9Ls, we had AIM-7Es and AIM-9Ps. Totally different tactics to the merge!

Finally - if you are going to fly and fight an F-4 - better get REAL good with your rudders! At high AOA all rolling was via rudder with the ailerons neutral - or risk a departure. Hardwings were really bad, slats less violent but you still used rudder to roll (which still works on the F-15, by the way).

Yes, I still have my -1 and -34 somewhere…

Vulture[/quote]

8 Likes

Thanks @MBot for posting that. Lots of great info therein. I also remember dad talking about using the rudders in high AOA banks. Can’t wait to hit the ranges at Nellis.

Can’t wait to see complaits thread from self-entitled “Virtual Aces” clashing with the reality of a difficult Flight Model.
Schadenfreude.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m not sure it’s that difficult once you accept the fact that you shouldn’t get into a turn fight with a MiG-17 and don’t forget to use your rudders. Personally, I have a hard enough time keeping my feet off of them in jets.

Anyway, snake and nape, snake and nape, oh my!

Good discussion of using rudders in high AOA in the Phantom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6RcTtGfG3E

3 Likes

Dude!!! They have like “emteengazillion” Virtual Kills!! …show some respect…chill bro!! :grinning:

1 Like