Chuck's Guide to the DCS F-14B Tomcat has been released

@Chuck_Owl has published another masterpiece guide, this time for the F-14B Tomcat!

https://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs-f-14b-tomcat/

The level of detail and love that he has put into these guides always … well, it makes me feel like the under-achiever that I am I guess :-). Great job Chuck and thank you for the time and effort that you put into this!

18 Likes

I was just about to announce it! :smile:

Awesome work, @Chuck_Owl!

3 Likes

Another piece of amazing work. :sunglasses:

Wheels

1 Like

Awesome work indeed. I only had time to skim it and it is his usual production-level quality.

And then there was glorious rejoicing heard through the land.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Wait what?! Did @Chuck_Owl get a clearance from his office or something?

Also: hallelujah!

1 Like

4 Likes

Maybe? There’s a very specific disclaimer in the intro.

1 Like

Yes yes YES!!! Thank you for another beautiful guide. Very grateful for your hard work!!

For Real this time! Will Download ASAP.

Yeah that reads as office-approved legalese indeed. Well bally good show!

I did a bit of research and asked a number of people in the know. The answers I had were pretty consistent across the board. The consensus was that:

• Writing a guide based solely on Heatblur’s wiki and other vanilla “open source” material does not pose a security threat as long as what I know about the F-14 comes from unofficial, unclassified sources only (which is currently the case).

• If someone had access to classified F-14 tactics manuals or OEM data, this person could not honestly separate in his own mind what he knows as coming from unofficial sources or classified documents.

• I haven’t been exposed to anything classified or restricted that is remotely related to the Tomcat or that may have some “crossover” to the Tomcat, therefore I should be “clean”.

• None of the stuff I wrote about comes even close to the “classified line” in terms of operational doctrines and tactics, which I deliberately stayed away from. A document providing detailed explanations on stuff like how to defeat missiles, notch, perform electronic warfare, plan a mission, etc. could cross that line, which is why I made sure to refrain from going into that level of detail.

• The bottom line is that if I focus on how the sim works and NOT on how the real aircraft works, I should be in the clear.

19 Likes

Fantastic! This was out of the blue, an early Christmas gift.

2 Likes

I’m glad you made the guide.
A DCS module just isn’t complete without a Chuckbook… :wink:

7 Likes

This, and the imminent arrival of my Virpil throttle makes it 100% more likely I’ll eventually buy the Tomcat in a DCS sale :thinking: :f14:

4 Likes

Thanks Chuck! Your guides are amazing assets for DCS fans.

1 Like

This arrow

Wheels

6 Likes

Wheelsup_cavu said it right, THANK YOU CHUCK!

4 Likes

That’s a very catchy nickname! :smiley:

5 Likes