Civil Aviation Ministry of Information thread

'Xactly…
I took off so many times from there in Flight Simulator 3 and 95… :frowning_face:

It’s a challenging airfield now… but doable :smiley:

3 Likes

This is a glass half full guy!

1 Like

Here’s where I break out my Meigs story: Ready kids? Just kidding. You guys have heard it a thousand times. I too am still bitter. May Mayor Daley soon rot in hell if he’s not there already.

3 Likes

to be fair…I haven’t heard it…or at least I cant remember it mate

6 Likes

BTW, I think I’ve just figured out the FlightAware X-wing thing. My airline wastes massive amounts of money on stupid Hollywood promotions. The current one (soon the whither one hopes) is for the latest Star Wars. When you order your coke here it comes with a napkin with a pair of X-Wings painted in United blue. And while you drink you will be tortured with a very bad SW-themed safety demo. So, somehow, we probably managed to pay off not just Disney but also the people at Flightaware. Or, equally likely, they are one and the same.

2 Likes

Meigs may be gone but it’s a park on a waterfront now. Better then some cordoned off fancy area for the rich that nobody ever gets to enjoy… That’s something…

2 Likes

That was one argument voiced for getting rid of the airport. I’m pretty sure I read that the park is under utilized by the general public.

I think they should bulldoze the park in the middle of the night and build something useful in it’s place…like like an airport maybe? :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Do you need Dash8 pilots? I’ll work for SW trinkets…

1 Like

YES we need Dash-8 pilots! But not to fly Dash-8s. We just need pilots who bring that skill-set with them here.

1 Like

Snark. I run in Chicago whenever I am there and the weather allows for it. I have never been to the park nor am I entirely certain how to get there. I make the run around Shedd aquarium and the planetarium dozens of times a year. But the old Meigs field has always been closed for me (coming from the north lakeshore). That’s not to say that it isn’t open to the public as I am sure it has been. But I know of no one who’s been there. It has been mostly a walled garden since 2003. Maybe its a park now. Maybe its a nice one. Chicagoans have no shortage of waterfront to play with. I doubt they were begging for more. Here’s some more of the ignominy surrounding its closure. Daley illegally destroyed the runway overnight. Later, when a plane bound for Oshkosh made an emergency landing in the grass adjacent to the runway. Mayor Daley wanted to have the pilot arrested and claimed that the landing was only a stunt to embarrass him. But that’s all bridge under the water (intended). From the poster above it looks like in another 5 years it will be a beautiful spot. But the history of its creation will forever be a stain on that city.

4 Likes

Oh absolutely, that mayor literally broke a whole bunch of laws including aviation. Why/how he was not strung up on the highest tree by the FAA baffles me!

3 Likes

:us:

4 Likes

point taken… alas.

1 Like

First question on the application: What is DME hold and when might you use it? LOL…I know for sure that @Troll and his pilot group know what it is…I’m not so sure about some of the younger generation here. :rofl:

1 Like

Not to mention that close access to airplanes inspires a lot of kids, teens, and sometimes even adults. Meigs was a showcase of aviation right on the doorstep of millions of people. And I guarantee it was an economic boon to the area. I’m a pretty dyed-in-the-wool tree-hugger, but what they did to Meigs was a tragedy. A perimeter park with bike trails, access points to watch airplanes, and public marina and stuff would have probably been a win/win.

Sadly, I never got to fly in there.

3 Likes

And who thought it would be a great idea to build a lake that covers a significant area on a man made ‘island’ that is on the edge of a huge lake… maybe they were trying to sink it? :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Future seaplane base!

1 Like

WOWZA!

Airbus Beluga XL enters service at long last

:slight_smile: So cute!

2 Likes