Civil Aviation Ministry of Information thread

That is some gorgeous footage. But, a aircraft cheekily using trust reversers to move about a bit is not exactly a WTF moment. Especially with modern FADEC engines I wouldn’t worry too much.

I agree…but I sure wouldn’t want that call into the Chief Pilot’s office if FOD damage was found on the next leg…

1 Like

Fair point, but if there would be FOD lying about there the blame would definitely be partially shifted to the airport management. There’s a certain expectation of a FOD free environment.

Especially if an aircraft would be using TO power around that point, that’s when the damage most likely occurs inside the engine(all the components are at max stress level, FOD impact can badly stress them).

I’m torn…it could also go in the Russian thread…but there aren’t bombs on it…so…

2 Likes

Mmm…delicious crosswinds…

2 Likes

That looks fun to fly!

The back end of that q400 does not like big cross-winds. So brutal to control.

I’m just amazed at the engineering and continual maintenance that keeps airplanes fit to fly. That video just demonstrates the extreme forces that aircraft undergo (maybe not routinely THAT much…but still) and all of it continues to work together. I mean, you can see those structures flexing and bouncing and vibrating…and they do that for tens of thousands of cycles. And the tires…amazing technology.

As per Beeb today:

At least there is still rubber on the tyres.

3 Likes

I like the look of that little amphibian. It’s a he’ll of a lot prettier than the A5 🖒

Heck…I think we need civil aviation hard points and we can hang em’ from the wings too! Sort of like in ARMA 3… Sure would make unloading faster!

1 Like

I’m game.

http://s828.photobucket.com/user/warpig_2009/media/Gunpods/M9GunpodonF-16.jpg.html

2 Likes

Well. Played.

1 Like

I understand the physics behind it (basically, at that speed, the water is acting practically like pavement)…but it still always makes me squirm…

https://vimeo.com/224374525

2 Likes

Me too. Looks cool, but I have to ask the question, why take the risk?
I should add that I am a somewhat boring pilot. I get more than enough excitement out of a challenging approach to minimums, or from a strong and gusty crosswind landing.

2 Likes

fashion over function

1 Like

Saves MX some cleaning time? :wink:

1 Like

Yeah… And I wouldn’t do that on pavement either. Unless it had a purpose, like taking off or landing.

You, me and even Chris are paid to seek the lowest risk solution to every problem we encounter. Our passengers want to survive.
I say “even Chris” not because it’s surprising that someone actually pays him to fly, :wink: but because he hauls really sick people sometimes, and that this fact can cause an extra dimension to the search for the least risk solution.

1 Like

Absolutely. There is a definite self imposed pressure to get where you need to go if someone’s life is on the line. Of course, everyone ont he airplane has their life on the line whenever you advance the throttles and take to the air. My worst nightmare scenario started to form one night when I was flying an organ procurement team. Our team was harvesting a heart for transplant and the weather was deteriorating rapidly at Pittsburgh where the recipient patient was prepped waiting. Because of the short shelf life of a heart once it is removed from the donor, the Go/No Go decision had to be made just before they removed the heart from the deceased patient. To say that we were motivated to get them where they needed to go was an understatement. We managed to get there safely though. I did that kind of flying for about 5 years before circumstances forced me to move on to other opportunities (I was laid off when the recession hit in 2009). Sometimes I miss that kind of flying, although I do enjoy what I do now as well.

2 Likes