Civil Aviation Ministry of Information thread

Brilliant post @Scoop :clap:

1 Like

So would you say the BN-1XL is a good machine then?

3 Likes

@schurem. Absolutely. The description of the design is 100%. That many flaws is a work of genius

3 Likes

A guy I know who used to fly the Islander said that you really didn’t need a multi engine rating to fly it. If one engine died, you could just as well shut the other one off too, or it would just delay the inevitable… :wink:

2 Likes

I remember when I lost the right engine flying to Papa Stour in 2000. The same flight where the female sitting behind me molested me in flight with her lips (!) After landing I had to turn right with the left engine dead. Normally an Islander is taxied leading with about an inch or two of differential noise/power rather than just pressing on the rudder. With no engine assistance I found however much pressure I applied with my right boot, I could not get the aircraft to turn against the good engine. I had to shut down and get towed to the hangar.

5 Likes

I know the story. But you need to tell the story here. I’m not sure how well it will come over by text but its a bloody funny story :smile:

3 Likes

Since @Victork2 insists.

Papa Stour

The runway is at the south of the island,orientated NS with prevaling westerly winds.

Tingwall

All inter island flights in Shetland are flown VFR, there being no IFR nav aids. The cloud is usually below 500 feet and visibility well below 2,000m. We were allowed to fly visually below cloud in 1,000m for airline flying. Air Ambulance flight visibility could be at pilots discretion.

On approach to Papa Stour I checked the drift as I crossed the channel between Mainland and the island, ‘Ve Skerries’ of to the left. Mainland is the name of the largest Shetland Island. Papa gets a new windsock every year but they hoist it and leave it up as soon as it arrives. After about a week it makes its way in a gale to @troll in Norway so for the rest of the year we had to rely on Mk1 eyeball, there being no RT service. The wind is always max crosswind so its just a case of working out which runway has the most headwind component. The next task was to herd up the animals off the runway with the aircraft - a couple of low passes. They usually then stay away for a few minutes while the aircraft lands. Not always. Normally the last pass would finish with a 45 degree turn to the west followed by a steeper reversal to line up with the runway. All the excess speed would wash of in the steep turn requiring re-selection of power. Flap selection in stages and then put her down just after the boggy part of the runway.

On this day it was different. As I reversed the turn, reapplied power and selected flap two things happened unexpectedly. First the right engine started to show a large mismatch in manifold pressure compared with the left engine. I had the same thing happen the previous week that had stranded me on Fair Isle for five days as the left engine blew. I therefore raised the flap and climbed to about three hundred feet, shut down the offending engine and returned to my base at Tingwall. The second unexpected event that occurred while I was taking these actions/decisions, was caused by the female sitting directly behind me.

She stretched forward and pushed the left side of my headset, clear of my ear. She then ran her tongue around and inside my ear very amorously. As we transited for the ten minute sector back to Tingwall she did not give up. Her lips explored the back of my neck as well as my ears, to which she gave her full attention, to the great delight of both of the other passengers.

After landing single engine I disembarked the passengers on the runway. There were no other aircraft and it took a moment for the engineer to get the tractor. I decided i could not let the passenger get away with such behaviour and that I would have to speak sternly to her. I got out and went to the rear portside door that she was using. I went up to her and gave her a rub along her nose and a piece of biscuit from my uneaten lunch.

We were carrying a Shetland Pony.

You are not a real pilot until you cope with an engine failure and do a single engine landing with 18 inches of pony slobber sliding down the back of your neck.

For some reason when we moved onto the King AIr’ no one wanted to practice this in the sim.

fias_ponies

13 Likes

Ahahaha! Awesome story!

2 Likes

:joy: :rofl: :laughing:

I am not worthy!!

4 Likes

Tooooooo heavy…! I’m actually surprised they continued to push as long as they did…it would not take much for those wheels on the tug to catch fire from that kind of friction…then you have a tug on fire under a fully laden 777. Not worth the effort that was put in there…

3 Likes

Meanwhile…MD80 laughs…

2 Likes

Never a good idea to use the brakes having done a powerback

1 Like

Ha…yes…I’ve learned that in X-Plane…!

It’s tough when the ramp is cold and covered with type IV. That stuff is, by design, slick as snot. If he could go straight back without turning the nose-wheel I think he would have made it. But that would have interfered with the A1 turnoff. (Assuming the north end of concourse C at O’Hare.)

1 Like

Next time he just needs to get a running start at it…have a dude ready to throw the pin in…and let momentum work its magic…

What the blazes were they thinking? If that truck spun because it was slippery, what would the driver do if he suddenly hit bare concrete…?

Find out how many pieces of differential his face could hold.

3 Likes

Crazy story I hadn’t heard before … Flight 5390 …

3 Likes

Oh lordy that was badass

6 Likes

You just do not think of planes that size doing those types of tricks.

Wheels

2 Likes