Civil Aviation Ministry of Information thread

That whole inner cylinder is just gone from the outer cylinder.A big chunky gland nut keeps them mated together. Perhaps the whole cylinder broke(HSLA degradation), the gland nut gave away or some other issue developed. Sometimes these gland nuts are painted yellow which means they are a matched oversize set, that too could have been a factor.

Interesting incident, never seen anything like this.

5 Likes

Don’t forget I’m a pilot… Do you have any illustration that can help me understand?

Also, don’t know if you watched the video by Browne, but he mentions this airframe had an accident where this very landinggear bounced of the roof of a van. He also points out that the boogie hangs lower than the rest, in the video. Does this tell you anything?

5 Likes

I have not, that sounds bizarre, I shall look it up!

There’s the diagram of an oleo strut which IIRC is what the 747 has, I am a bit rusty on the type so would need to look into it more this weekend if you have any specific questions.

You can see how big the body landing gear is when full extended. I don’t recall if the 74 has a shortening mechanism or not. I don’t think so. The A330 for example has a mechanism at the top of the piston(inner cylinder) inside the outer cylinder that allows it to shorten the gear thus having it take up less space inside the wheel well. The 747 doesn’t sit that high so it probably never needed it.

EDIT: Checked out the video you mentioned of the gear hitting a van and I doubt it’s relevant given that that happened 2 D-checks ago or there abouts, I wanna bet that truck has long since been replaced.

Anyway, this incident could be similar to this:

3 Likes

Isn’t this the cutest little airplane you ever saw?

5 Likes

I think the drone doing the filming was faster! :grin:

3 Likes

The Dingo can almost hover with your Heli… :wink:

3 Likes

Aaaand someone proved @smokinhole’s point…

5 Likes

Fortunately, speed and fun are only proportional to one another in film and TV.

6 Likes

This looks fun…

3 Likes

Judging by the funny looking dollar sign, this must be in :uk:. Does look fun.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Nothing sounds quite like it! Looks like he’s carrying a notch of flaps. Or maybe it’s an illusion created by all the shininess.

3 Likes

Didn’t @BeachAV8R have a catastrophic failure of a PT-6 too?

4 Likes

Yep, great and terribly scary story he told us

4 Likes

I had the prop governor fail on one. C90B departing out of DCA. Still, it’s hard to imagine a more dependable motor that isn’t a jet. Anyway, I would much prefer two piston engines over a slick-looking SE turboprop for flying at night or IFR—even if it is much slower.

1 Like

Was unsure whether to post this or not… didn’t want to sensationalise a terrible accident … but it highlights how brave these pilots are doing this dangerous job

2 Likes

I was aware of it. I haven’t watched it.

My heart goes out to their families.

1 Like

I watched a close up and it looks like a float clipped a tree and got torn off possibly damaging the aileron. Those poor brave heroes. Absolutely breaks my heart

2 Likes

Absolutely agree lee they should be remembered for their sacrifice

2 Likes