Civil Aviation Ministry of Information thread

Anybody got any info on the accident on Haneda today?

https://twitter.com/ShivAroor/status/1742123792053486004?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Only what I read in the news this morning. Apparently the JAL A350 collided with a ‘Coast Guard plane’.

Everybody got off the A350 safely and all the casualties were onboard the Coast Guard aircraft.

I read the Coast Guard plane was a Dash8 with stuff for the earthquake area. 14 dead. :frowning:

This is what I read?

There were 367 passengers and 12 crew members on board when the flight landed, NHK reported. All 379 safely left the plane after it landed, the airline said, according to NHK.

Five people were killed on board the coast guard aircraft, officials said. The Pilot survived.

Looks like the Dash8 was either at the Runway holding point or entering the runway, when the Airbus landed…
Great work evacuating the burning Airbus!

5 Likes

Yeah it has been corrected in my source now as well.

Great work indeed!

We pilots get much of the glory and most of the money. But when we screw up* it’s the cabin crew who clean up our mess. Asiana at KSFO is another recent example. In that case, dozens could reasonably have been expected to perish. Yes, modern design and materials made from hard lessons learned played huge roles. But really it was the humans who said “Release your seatbelts and come THIS WAY!” who saved those lives. In the case of JAL, I would wager they might have even chosen to block at least one exit due to fire and/or debris. We must step aside and applaud the life savers running that cabin today. They do sometimes pi** me off as I no doubt do them. Today they were heroes.

*Not assigning any blame here. I am clueless.

6 Likes

Well said Eric.

I have to say that every time I fly, I give the cabin crew my utmost attention, support and obedience. It pisses me off no end when my fellow passengers don’t do the same.

Besides they bring me snacks, and if I am nice, sometimes a row to myself… all you pilot types do is sit up the front and press buttons :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: the exception is loadmasters… some of you guys suck!

5 Likes

Obviously it’s still very early to determine the cause. The ATC transcripts and CVRs from each aircraft (if those survived undamaged) will be the most critical in this investigation.

The A350 was landing. A Dash 8 was on the runway… and why? Pilot error? ATC error? Again those recordings will likely pinpoint who said what and when. Ugh, it makes me sad to see another LAX 1991 accident. It could’ve ended MUCH worse but as everyone has said, the Japan Airlines cabin crew were on their A game.

4 Likes

Holy carp!
Evacuating with 3 out of 8 exits, a running engine and the aircraft on fire…

It will be interesting to hear what caused this. Looks like a runway incursion, but what caused that. A coast guard crew doing disaster relief? Fatigue? Just speculations of course, but the factors leading up to the accident are often more interesting than the accident itself…

3 Likes

Nothing short of a miracle they got everyone out. The cabin crew deserve medals.
Tragic about the crew of the Dash-8. I’m still not clear what actually occurred, a runway incursion or ATC dropped the ball. Time will tell.

2 Likes

Some extra info:

2 Likes

I just read about the Naples crash that happened a few days ago. I am really sad that the pilots died.

I watched a dashcam video and it seems that they did a fine job avoiding most of the cars and getting down in a way that gave the passengers a chance to survive. Everyone except the pilots got out and it seems that none of the motorists on the interstate was killed either. It just… feels wrong that they lost their lives after such a skillful emergency landing. Deadsticking a Challenger 600 surely is no small feat. I know that life isn’t supposed to be fair, but… this sucks.

I guess I am just rambling on now. I guess I just remembered that some of us fly planes like that, and when I read about that crash I guess just had to think about if it was one of y’all or something. Stay safe out there, friends.

6 Likes

I’m still here. I was at CAE in Dallas when this happened. Evidently the pilots trained there and were well regarded by the instructors.

4 Likes

Based on what I saw they did the best they could when handed a #%^@ sandwich. Really sad they didn’t get out, but they did the best they could have.

4 Likes

No we just need to know what pooped the motors.

3 Likes

Yeah… What kills both engines at the same time?
Fuel starvation is the obvious cause. But why? It’s not like that aircraft doesn’t have the legs for that flight. Bird ingestion…? Unlikely that it would take out both, but it happens.
@PaulRix how hard is it to accidentally shut down both engines?

2 Likes

Accidentally…. I’d say pretty hard. Also, I’m not convinced it was a fuel issue because they lost both engines simultaneously. While contamination can kill an engine, the chances of losing both at the same moment seem pretty slim to me. They had flown all the way from Ohio with, it seems, no problem at all.

5 Likes

Thought so…

Contamination should’ve hit earlier, no…? Fuelfilters have bypasses too.
And the engines have their own collector/feeder tanks, I guess, so yeah, pretty unlikely that both flamed out simultaneously.

So, birds then?

Edit. There’s always the wrong lever possibility… One flamed and they shut down the other.
In a prop, you need to act promptly to feather away the windmilling drag, but at that altitude, in a jet, would you do a shutdown procedure, or just land?

It’s going to be interesting to hear what caused it.

2 Likes