Civil Aviation Ministry of Information thread

There is zero reason to touch anything for a single engine failure during the approach scenario like that. In fact, in the sim, they’re not even wanting us to pull the checklist out below 1500’, just fly and either land (in this case) or climb (on departure). Even if there’s a fire, they’d prefer we let it burn until then, for what it’s worth. I see that as debatable and depending on circumstances, myself.

If the throttle quadrant’s in good shape, pretty difficult. That said, I have seen three separate sim sessions on two different types where the idle-cutoff gates were worn, or a cutoff lever spring broken.

This resulted in a dual engine failure once for a colleague when reducing to idle. Should have been fixed, but sims are sims… :expressionless:

Squawked it once on a real airplane, was fixed before return to service. I can’t imagine anyone would fly a real airplane in that kind of condition, so doubt it played a role here.

4 Likes

Plus the “boom” and post-crash fire seemed to indicate something more than just residual fuel.

4 Likes

I figured that was the case. Although it has happened and they discovered the error when trying to add thrust on the approach. But if that was the case this time, I guess the pilots would’ve called ATC about the engine failure, before realizing both were out…

Yeah, they get a lot of abuse.

2 Likes

I seem to recall a passenger plane landing (crashing) short of the runway at London Heathrow due to ice clogging the fuel lines and shutting down both engines on short final a few years ago? Miraculously, there were no fatalities. Could this be something similar?

1 Like

Yeah, that was a BA 777.

1 Like

I just saw an interesting video clip on a Challenger pilot FaceBook group. It showed that if the Co-Pilot reaches across the pedestal to arm the TR’s, and at the same time the Pilot pulls the thrust levers back to idle, the cutoff levers can ride up over the Co-Pilot’s forearm and the thrust levers can be brought all the way back to cutoff. That is definitely an eye opener for me.

Here is a still from the video (not mine):

It’s a plausible scenario. Exactly the same thing can happen if the airplane is being flown from the right seat and the left seat pilot reaches under the throttle to reach the flap lever.

6 Likes

Ooof… Surely not… :pensive:

On ours and every other light jet I’ve flown it takes a conscious, deliberate effort to lift the cutoff levers. Some of our guys still have to use both hands to do so simultaneously. I can’t imagine a design where it could be done accidentally with everything in working order. Wowza.

Nightmare fuel. Those crazy weird types of things are the things that keep me up at night…not the “mundane” emergencies. If that is what happened…good grief.

And today I learned that reversers on the CL have to be armed prior to landing?

2 Likes

I guess they are so worried about an uncommanded TR deployment that you have to turn them off after takeoff and back on again before landing. When I look at the Global Express, I see an airplane that obviously came from the Challenger, taking all the best parts and fixing the weaknesses. I miss the Global. :rofl:.

1 Like

This gave me chills…

4 Likes

Same. It was so preventable it approaches attempted murder. The initial mistake might have been understandable if it had been dark, but it was broad daylight when they took the runway, then they doubled-down and went ahead and departed knowing they couldn’t have enough… Unbelievable!

3 Likes

Yeah, I mean they aimed for D6, lined up D5, was made aware by TWR and offered a backtrack to D6… So many opportunities to do it right.

2 Likes

Comms spoofing… Yikes!

1 Like

It’s been happening for a couple of years now. Several groups, probably state groups are coming up on guard to declare that flights are approaching national boundaries and must turn away immediately or will be subject to interception or worse. Easy to do with a handheld and FlightAware. And also extremely easy not to be tricked by.

3 Likes

Up here we’ve only had GPS spoofing, so far. Of course, we can hear russians on guard quite often, but I have no idea what they are saying :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Preliminary Challenger dual engine failure NTSB report.

Prelim Report download: https://htv-prod-media.s3.amazonaws.com/files/naples-report-65de408e45066.pdf

(Still too early to pinpoint a probable root cause.)

Flight data recorder information revealed that the first of three master warnings was recorded less than a minute before both engines flamed out: first, “L Engine Oil Pressure,” then, “R Engine Oil Pressure,” and then “Engine.” The system alerted pilots with the illumination of a “Master Warning” light, a corresponding red message on the crew alerting system, and a triple chime voice advisory, “Engine oil.”

Twenty seconds later, at about 1,000 feet msl and 122 knots on a shallow intercept angle for the final approach course, the crew announced, “…lost both engines…emergency…making an emergency landing.”

2 Likes

Thought I’d share this for the rotor-heads

3 Likes

Nice…my big boss (over all of MCA Fixed Wing / Rotor) is attending…

1 Like

Flightradar24 visited Widerøe HQ in Bodø.
This is our main hub of operations and main tech base.

6 Likes

This happened a couple of days ago, seemingly with little fanfare (at least, I missed it)…

7 Likes