Dale Earnhardt Jr discusses racing in iRacing vs. NASCAR during the COVID-19 crisis

after 2 years I left the Stockcar side and went to the road courses…

3 Likes

When you are a pro and still get banned from iRacing…

Ahahaha

4 Likes

I watched an irace this weekend, very cool

The race started with one of the drivers near the poll position glitching out causing ten or so cars to crash

1 Like

What happened?

he used racial slurs in a televised broadcasted events

Oof. I never would’ve thought it’d be NASCAR that shows more backbone on that than YouTube or Twitch.

iRacing doesnt belong to NASCAR.

and NASCAR didnt suspend him until after iRaving did.

Ah, didn’t catch the order there. And now it appears he’s been fired from his team?

And his sponsors cut him

Gotta be honest, I’ve been watching the last few iRacing events and really enjoy them. Even more than the real races. Seems more competitive and evenly matched.

< insert my long-winded rant asking why NASCAR is still relevant when the cars are all dinosaurs that aren’t in anyway based on actual production models, and the tracks are all boring large ovals that don’t encourage much in the way of outstanding driver skill, and the rules are written to keep the playing field exactly alike more than it is to encourage risk-taking or innovation, and actually encourages teams to push for races finished under caution. >

Same. I’ve watched a couple of the races here and there and actually enjoyed what I’ve seen. But I haven’t watched an actual NASCAR race since probably 2002.

2 Likes

The introduction of The Chase was the big start of the downward trend imo. I’ve not watched a full race since they made the 3 section, knick nack paddy wack, wtf is going on a thing.

1 Like

Nor have I. Once they started adjusting rules and removed non PC speech and sponsors, they lost me. With the far from stock cars, its boring.

This, on the other hand, is refreshing.

I’m stealing this for future use. I know a couple of old team guys who would love it.

1 Like

My interest in NASCAR was fading at the time but when Earnhardt got killed that really accelerated that lack of interest.

Wheels

2 Likes

Could you explain that, please?
I have never watched a single NASCAR race and I honestly have no clue what you are talking about.

1 Like

That one hurt- he was genuinely a good man, and NASCAR definitely was weaker for his loss. And I know his son has been less than thrilled with the direction the series has been going as well.

Before 2004, the championship and cup was based on points accrued through the season based on places finished in races. The year prior, Matt Kenseth won the championship by placing high consistently through the whole season and only winning a single race. The powers that be decided that didn’t make for "good racin’ " (same context as "good wrasslin’ " in the WWE), and came up with an elimination-style race series with a playoff thingy.

That’s all I can explain before I start getting confused myself, so I’ll let @Mudcat cover that.

2 Likes

I’ve only been to 3 NASCAR races, Darlington when I was a kid, Talladega pre-restrictor plate, and Charlotte post restrictor plate. I don’t remember much about Darlington, except that I thought that they were “stop” cars and not “stock” cars, because they were sliding and crashing a lot. Dad sorted me out on the way home. Then Talladega, which was with my dad about 30 years later. It was a completely awesome spectacle, when that pack of 30 brightly colored cars came roaring by at over 200 mph. After the race, dad and I were covered in rubber dust. Went to Lowes with my wife when she was on a job assignment with Coke and was really impressed with the facilities. All first class. But the race was rather boring. Still was a good time.

Talladega holds the lasting memory. that pre-restrictor plate racing was absolutely insane. But I understand why they had to slow the cars down.

Have been to 2 F1 races and Road Atlanta a bunch of times for IMSA. Enjoyed all of those.

Anyway, probably like most motorsports, other than Le Mans or other endurance races, they are probably best consumed in person.

3 Likes

I’ll let Wikipedia explain it. So I don’t vomit on myself. Basically it’s points for participating during the entire thing…

In NASCAR racing, starting with the 2017 season, races in the top three national touring series are completed in three stages, four in the case of the NASCAR Cup Series’s longest race, the Coca-Cola 600.[1] A stage consists of normal green flag racing followed by a stoppage on a designated lap signified by the waving of a green and white checkered flag, then a yellow flag.[2] The top-10 finishers in each of the first two stages are awarded bonus championship points. The points earned are added to a driver/owner’s regular season points total, while the winner of the stage receives an additional point that can be carried into the NASCAR playoffs.[3] The stage lengths vary by track, but the first two stages usually combine to equal about half of the race. The final stage (which still pays out the most championship points) usually equals the other half.[4] The first driver to win a National Series race under the stage race format was Camping World Truck Series driver Kaz Grala who won the season opener at Daytona International Speedway in February 2017.[5]

2 Likes