DCS 2.5 in January 2018. A promise, not an estimate...

the weirdest thing when u compare 2.2 and 1.5.8 is the mirrors impact on FPS … 1.5.8 no mirrors 4K res 120 fps 1.5.8 mirrors on 4K res 45 frames xD 2.2 mirrors on or off 5 frames difference

1 Like

I had another go at 1.5 on my TV last night. It looks amazing.

1 Like

All this DCS talk made me leave the C172 in the hangar and jump in the Huey for a spin around Nevada…and man, it is such a fun bird to fly!

Few modules can keep me entertained just sneaking around the airfield buildings in and out of hover for an hour for no particular reason.

Needless to say this session did nothing to help with my impatience for 2.5…

2 Likes

Try it in the Normandy map. Except for the annoying trees, Normandy rocks and feels more retro like the Huey era…

2 Likes

I’ll have to get that map at some point when there’s sales on - I wasn’t super excited about it, but you’re not the first one to tell me about its merits for Huey stuff.

Now, if only we could get a Vietnam map. That would put some serious stress on my marriage. I guess jungle is demanding to compute, but hopefully this speedtrees business will make it possible. That theater would fit DCS so well. We already have a bunch of suitable aircraft with more in the pipeline.

1 Like

Some information from USSR_Rik on the ED Team over on the ED Forums (link: here)

Gentlemen, here is some explanations how your current 1.5 (and/or 2.2) will be converted to 2.5, please take a look the attached diagram. Transition will be made in 2 stages:

1 stage: Beta-version. 1.5.8 Open Beta will be updated to 2.5.0 Open Beta. Updater will check 2.2.0 (Alpha) and add necessary modules to 2.5.0. Then Open Alpha 2.2.0 will be uninstalled (user will be prompted about 2.2.0 removing).

1.5.8 release remains as is on this stage.

Some time (maybe one-two weeks, we hope no more) for wide test of this procedure.

2 stage: Release version. 1.5.8 release updated to 2.5.0. User will be prompted before update about saving 1.5.8 Final version in the separate directory.

Modules from 2.2.0 Open Alpha (or 2.5.0 beta - see 1st stage) version will be used for 2.5.0 installation, after that old 2.2.0 will be uninstalled (user prompted).

Open Alpha 2.2.0: this branch is no more supported. If user have only 2.2.0 Open Alpha, we will suggest to download 2.5 installer - it will install 2.5 release and remove 2.2.0 Open Alpha.

Home folders (Saved Games\DCS) remains the same (Saved Games\DCS and Saved Games\DCS.openbeta). New Saved Games\DCS.release_1_5 will be created for 1.5 Final version and all content will be copied into it from Saved Games\DCS. We also strongly suggest to remove Saved Games\DCS\Config\options.lua and make graphic tuning from scratch using DCS GUI because of 1.5 and 2.5 renders are significantly different.

DCS 2 Transition_a

1 Like

Not sure that helps, to be honest. I think there are bits lost in translation :slight_smile:

As I understand it,

• 1.5.8_Release will be copied to a 1.5.8_Final directory (no idea what the directory name will end up being), and then updated to 2.2, then it can be updated to 2.5 Open Beta;
  • 1.5.8_OpenBeta will get updated straight to 2.5_OpenBeta;
  • 2.2_OpenAlpha will also get updated straight to 2.5_OpenBeta;

I’m gonna back up my Save Games\DCS* folders first :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That very helpful Fridge. I’ve somehow flumuxed my 1.5.8 release/beta to be using the same profile folder and can’t seem to convince DCS that they are seperate entities. Probably in my case, I will flatten both of my 1.5.8 installs and hope that there is a path from 2.2 alpha to 2.5 release. Your chart appears to show that branch.

Or maybe revert 1.5.8 beta back to release and run with that into the 2.5 release. <—- tiny head explodes.

2 Likes

I think I’m just going to go with the flow and see what happens ;). I’m going to be in the road when this is released unfortunately. My job really interferes with my sim flying! Lol.

5 Likes

Just a thought … wonder if they will release the open beta tomorrow and then the stable branch next wed (if all goes well)

1 Like

I am going to go the update 1.5.8 OB and leave both versions in situ until its all downloaded and erase 2.2 once it is finished installing

2 Likes

the detailed notes on how the installer works seems to suggest so huh…

1 Like

But wouldn’t we want to opt to stay on open beta like now?

I assume all pre release modules will only be offered to beta first.

1 Like

So I was right. No more Alpha.

That’s nice. It was always confusing and now finally get’s sorted out.

I currently have converted my stable release to open beta via command line tool. I might roll back and make a copy of 1.5.8 stable and put it on HDD.
On the other hand I probably won’t touch it in the future once I have seen 2.5 Caucasus.

1 Like

from a Facebook post…

4 Likes

Hmmm,So they are going to wait till last day of the month…not much wiggle room.

3 Likes

I’m so excited that those trees are collidable. I mean…for us helo-pilot types…that just changes the game so much in that region. Super stoked for that.

6 Likes

please… we do still have a reputation.

4 Likes

It’s what I thought too, but…
I think it’s already there, they’re simply extra polishing it.

Nothing literally wrong with that…

1 Like

I’m just happy they waited until after my commander upgrade was finished! :slight_smile:

8 Likes