DCS 2.5 in January 2018. A promise, not an estimate...

Its the Final countdown
The Final countdown…

Its the Final Countdown Whoa Whoaaaaaa!

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

duhuduhduh duuuuuu duhudhudtuduuuuuuuuu

*shakes huge hair>

2 Likes
2 Likes

more hype than the ED forums, 5 more sleeps :astonished:

3 Likes

RockPaperShotgun has a simulation oriented series they run every once in awhile called “The Flare Path” … one of today’s features is an interview with Wags about 2.5

4 Likes

For comments on the Flare Path article, please post over here: Article at Rock, Paper, Shotgun - #2 by Fridge

2 Likes

My apologies if this has already been answered, but with all the discussion of how 2.5 is going to be installed and what directories it will pull data from, do you know if I will have the option to install 2.5 in a different directory than my current 1.5 and 2.0?

Back story, I currently have 1.5 and 2.0 installed on my C: drive but would like to install 2.5 on D:. Is 2.5 going to automatically install to the same directory as 1.5 or 2.0, and if I tell it to install to a different directory, will that force it to download 100% of the required data, or will it still copy from locally installed versions?

1 Like

This post explains it in detail.

2 Likes

Hmm, armed with that knowledge, and of y’all had any experience simply moving your DCS folder to a different location? Guess I’ll try today and see if it borks my DCS setup.

2 Likes

You’ll need/want to edit dcs’ registry entry to point to the new location, but otherwise I remember it being pretty easy

1 Like

Scenario: 1.5 OB and 2.2 are on a 250gb SSD that is nearly full. Have a third SSD with plenty of space. Will the updater pull 2.2 and 1.5 files if they are located on different drives? Or should I just delete it all and put it on the 500gb SSD?

2 Likes

The updater for 1.5 OB will update it to 2.5 OB in the location the program is when you run it. There is no option to tell it to update to another location. There may be a command line that does it but that is beyond my comment here.

So you will need to either move the 1.5 to the other drive, update the registry entries so Windows and DCS knows where it is, and then run the updater. Or Uninstall and reinstall to the new location. It should pull the common files from 2.2 regardless of drive location. The registry is what tells the updater where the 2.2 files are.

If it were me, on the day of I would confirm that there is a download for 2.5 OB posted, and then I would install it on the bigger drive, and then get rid of whatever it didn’t automatically uninstall off of the old one.

2 Likes

Another option is to move current install folder to a drive with lots of space and then work with symbolic links. Once the upgrade is finished you can clean up SSD, check if there is enough space, move it back to it’s original place, and remove the symlinks.

Follow @fearlessfrog’s guide:

Pro:

• No uninstall / reinstall
  • No registry hax

Con:

• Upgrade might be slow if your “lots of space” drive is no SSD
  • There is no “fresh new installation” smell
5 Likes

So prior to tonight, I had two versions installed:

DCS Release Build 1.5.X (or something)
DCS Open Alpha 2.2.0.12843

Tonight I’m changing my stable release build to the Open Beta with the understanding that that is the install that is going to be updated to Open Beta 2.5.X correct?

As well, I’ve only been using a few modules with my old installs, so I’m going ahead now (before the servers get pounded) and installing ALL of my modules and campaigns…figuring that the Open Beta 2.5.X install will be able to borrow from my other installs. Do I have all this correct?

4 Likes

Another interview with Matt Wagner…

5 Likes

That’s how I understand it. Fingers crossed :smile:

2 Likes

I cant belive Magz didn’t ask about an f-111. And he calls himself an Aussie :wink:

7 Likes

He has something called… taste, man. That’s why.
Now, the real problem is he didn’t ask for the Intruder release date, which is really odd.

4 Likes

5 Likes

2 Likes