DCS 2.5 in January 2018. A promise, not an estimate...

Also means that the Big Rush is over and he is confident of having it out in a timely manner. This Sim just keeps getting better… Next year I hope to see MiG-19, Phantom, Thunderbolt… WOW

1 Like

The Internets called it an F-111. The Internets is never wrong! I once saw an Airbus 747. So there.

6 Likes

so it would be a ф-111 :grinning:

3 Likes

So tech heads what will this mean regarding installs? Will I delete everything and download the entire new build or will I update open beta and delete 2.2
Space on SSD’s are the reason for my query I have 3 and they are all full of important stuff. Like windows, DCS and IL2 amongst other choice titles :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think I’ll delete and make a fresh install.
I have no ideas if there are any advantages besides keeping things simple…

1 Like

Me on Merge Day…

field1

4 Likes

Who are you kidding?
You know we’ll be far away from our computers, out flying somewhere or idling at some shoddy airport café.

3 Likes

That stands to historical precedent. Usually a major module or revision gets dropped the day I head out of town on a hiking trip or vacation or something. I’ll probably get a power surge that fries my CPU about 90 minutes prior to release.

4 Likes

I think for a bit we will have 3 installs and within a few weeks we will delete everything but 2.5
I HOPE

3 Likes

Will only have one install, the 2.5 beta. Alpha install will be useless, 1.5 will be trash. You could have the 2.5 release version, but I like getting updates sooner.

Undoubtedly it will run like a potato at first drop, so I wouldn’t delete anything until it’s out.

3 Likes

So what’s this going to do to our logbooks?

Well, with 2.5, all pilots are going to be reset to the beginning of their careers. So…

Pick one:

• L-39
  • Hawk
  • C-101

Now you must complete basic flight training…proving you can shoot a DME arc, ILS, NDB approach, circle to land, etc…

Then you go to rotor school in the Gazelle.

Then weapons school in the C-101CC and L-39.

From there…the sky is the limit.

(I’d genuinely pay for a career path campaign like this…)

7 Likes

Really doesn’t seem like it would be that hard to make, considering how advanced the current campaigns are. The Mirage campaign comes to mind as a great one.

Even better, you could start off as a crop duster in France, flying the Bi-Plane. Your grand dad teaches you the ropes, taking care of the farm. Then Iran starts a war, destroys your farm, and you join the Air Force to exact revenge over the Strait of Hormuz.

1 Like

I wish the Buckeye was still happening for this reason, or a Goshawk version of the Hawk…

2 Likes

Actually…can’t you drive the GAZ too? So you have to take a dead reckoning class and drive from Anapa to Batumi collecting scavenger items along the way.

3 Likes

I’m really Happy with the way DCS is proactively communicating with the community.Its fantastic for their employees to be able to enjoy the Holiday Season with their families instead of worrying about meeting an end of the year deadline.

4 Likes

I realy like the NTTR map, from pics and vids.

But when it was released I didnt have the SSD space for both 1.5 and 2.0 so decided to stick with the 1.5. Later with more SSD space I decided to wait for the 2.5.

Hope there will be sale with the release of 2.5, I somehow dont like to buy stuff in front. For the same reason I dont buy in pre-orders… I am always late to the party :slight_smile:

1 Like

Question for @SkateZilla
The file that DCS reads to copy files from one version to the next when updating?
When I update 1.5 it will just download files from torrent. When I update 2.1/2 it checks the 1.5 instal first and copies files.
My thoughts for the coming of 2.5 is to move my entire DCS to an external HDD and then point to it for copying any modules that are not changed when I download 2.5 and instal it onto the disk that currently holds all my DCS builds
Would that work ?
Cheers :slight_smile:

Or conceivably because it is 1.5 that will be replaced with 2.5 I could uninstal 1.5 and leave 2.2 in situ. That hopefully will not fill a 240Gb SSD?

1 Like

Btw new info regarding 2.5 instal

5 Likes

dcs_local_source.txt

containing just the path(s) to another or main install.

RELEASE BRANCH 1.5 BECOMES LEGACY / UNSUPPORTED / EOL
RELEASE BRANCH 2.5 IS LAUNCHED
OPEN BETA BRANCH 1.5 UPDATES TO OPEN BETA BRANCH 2.5
OPEN ALPHA BRANCH BECOMES EOL

AFAIK, looking at how things will end and start.

keeping 2.2 installed, then simply converting it to 2.5 Open Beta Branch would be the quickest, as you’d have all the updated modules and new lighting / shaders / graphics/ maps.

4 Likes