DCS 2.5.x Screenshots (2019)

Hmmmm… I think that pod below the fuselage is fairly new…w/I the last 5-10 years?

This is a SIGINT bird.

1 Like

Which means… SIGnals INTelligence right? It’s a listening bird, trying to record comms, radar and network signals in order for the boffins to hack into them and/or program jammers?

(I think I was fairly attentive when Will lectured us on this :slight_smile: )

Do the pilot intercepting such a thing operate on special procedures? Shut down the Link 16, things like that? I guess it’d be too late by the time you make VID (Visual IDentification) but you’d limit their take, especially if the rest of NATO hears about them being around and turns off their gadgets as well.

1 Like

Yes. Exactly correct.

Nope. That’s not stuff that they probably haven’t already seen. I don’t know what signals they are targeting but overall they are probably “vacuuming” the spectrum to see what they can get.

Some folks (In my former profession) look at this kind of collection as “panning for gold—hoping to capture a nugget or two. There is some of that. However I have always looked at it as building a structure out of bricks. Each SIGINT mission is another “Brick” to be analyzed and catalogued—patterns, locations, common frequencies, etc. Eventually you get enough bricks and you can make something out of it—a picture of your adversary’s signals structure. Once you have that…you can figure out how to hurt them. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Wait a minute…There’s some extra stuff on your plane. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I wish, I would have re-enacted it myself by now.

Took a break from the usual routine to do some skinning:

20 Likes

That’s very nice. Venezuela?

1 Like

Looks more like the Caucus map…oh you meant the airplane…:wink:

1 Like

You are correct! Not 100% accurate but based on the pattern and colors.

2 Likes

uhm… did this ever happen to anybody else as well?

My AMRAAM gave his life to save me.

15 Likes

Few months ago when I was flying Tomcat in the Gulf, my Phoenix targeted SAM coming my way.

2 Likes

I have had this happen before.

Another interesting case was a Flanker that shot at me in an A-10C from under 10nm head on. I shot the gun in rapid bursts without turning and successfully shot the incoming missile.

6 Likes

I once shot down an incoming SAM with an RB-05 :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve seen Russian naval SAMs shoot down HARMs in DCS. The unlikelyness of that happening is extreme.

I remember back in the day when flying A-10 in Lock On Modern Air Combat, SA-19 shotdown my Maverick with its missile, so I guess so occurences are nothing new in the series.

for real? The SAM operator must’ve been like…

I know some SAMs can target airborne munitions, there’s even an option to disable them from doing so. The SA-10 and SA-15 are notorious for shooting down a lot of stuff that gets sent their way. But this case is the first one I’ve ever seen a radar guided AAM shoot down another AAM.

1 Like

CWIS!

Now that is impressive. More importantly, how many attempts (and corresponding wrecked Viggens) did it take to achieve that feat? I’m sure @Troll is already going into shock just thinking about it…

I did lock incoming missile in Su33 once.
Unfortunately didn’t have time to sent my missile to meet that incoming threat :slight_smile:

1 Like

AMATEURS.

Blow up a T-72 with an AMRAAM, then we’ll talk.

3 Likes

Okay.

6 Likes