DCS 2.5.x Screenshots (2020)

Paging @Troll, urgent attention needed for the Mudspike emoji list!

4 Likes

I’d say @TheAlmightySnark’s screenie would make a fine emoji lol. Or the heatblur wireframe logo.

1 Like

Someone asked that very same question :wink:

2 Likes

Cool shot, you should ‘czech-out’ its home country livery :+1:

I have been once in the factory in which this bird is manufactured (work related trip) and had a chat about the NG version. I was also impressed to see the line - guys running around and airframes growing under their hands :open_mouth:

Believe it, or not, I walked away from this landing. And promptly went to the fridge for another beer.

11 Likes

We should be in the same squadron piper :rofl:

3 Likes

@AndyE learn from this example.
Always cleared to fly! :rofl:

2 Likes

Testing @Franze’s Divine Falcon update.

@Franze makes use of the Mirage’s 30mm cannon to take a 2-for-1 offer on Havocs, Today Only!

6 Likes

Behold! A missile that doesn’t know where it is!

13 Likes

:ajs37:

10 Likes

Is that the new way to summon @Troll?

5 Likes

:ajs37: :sweden:
Awesome, @Fridge!!

6 Likes

Hmmm
that is a Silkworm
it is flying way too high and banking way too much. It is either as you say “lost” or was fired outside of suitable parameters.

It was fired from ~50nmi away at a destroyer that was already damaged and by the time the missile reached the area, the destroyer sunk. The missile AI doesn’t know what to do at that point, thus the above behavior. It eventually straightened out and went off somewhere else.

1 Like

The missile knows where it is. But it doesn’t any longer know where it isn’t. So it goes off to the pub to have a beer.

8 Likes

#Relatable

I’ve kept finding myself back in the Mi-8 a bit despite my best efforts
making a bit of progress on the Oilfields campaign. Getting comfortable with the doppler nav and having a great time.

8 Likes

The Doppler Nav
I have found that a good set up and accurate start are everything when it comes to the Doppler Nav. Every now and then I will miss something or get a bad start and find myself waaaaaaaayyyyyy of course. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Yes
and the size of your target matters too.

If you’re heading for an airfield, setting up the nav in flight is fine
but the small oil rigs can be hard to spot, so setting up the nav while on the ground for max accuracy is a lot more reliable.

Also what kind of clicked with me this week: its very much a navigation aid - emphasis on aid: it doesn’t do your navigation for you.

I check the route and landmarks on the map, set up the nav and HSI needle on the ground and take note of the wind direction (“which way will it push me”). I also think about my takeoff direction and visualise what side of the track a takeoff into the wind will take me.

As soon as airborne and on course, I pick a visual landmark for heading (if VMC). This gives me a mental picture / visualisation of where the track is (e.g. “the track is heading towards that mountain top and sits 200m to my right, across this valley here”).

This way, reading the drift and the needle and applying it to your track is easy because you mostly know where you are and where you’re going - you’re just using the nav for distance and drift.

Once en route and at altitude, I do the coarse drift adjustment manually, then engage all 3 AP channels and fine tune the drift with the heading AP button. You can pretty much stop the drift altogether or at least maintain a track within 100-200m of the desired track quite easily this way.

2 Likes

Truer words
etc. :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t know if you tried the Persepolis Problem mission I posted during “Mi-8 March”. It has a long leg that you fly at very low altitude.

Being that low, there are only a few prominent landmarks you can really see on that leg - the RR track to your left and the end of a moderate ridge along your track
that’s about it. That said, you are heading for an SA-10 site and I found that if, just before you start the run, you bump your altitude up a bit, the SAM site will fire at you
giving you a nice smoke trail to pinpoint your destination! :open_mouth:

1 Like