DCS Air-Ground Attack Script

Are you sick of the DCS AI doing stupid things? At least for Air-Ground, I tried to make some improvements:

5 Likes

Looks really interesting @MBot.

Do you think it would work with DCS Liberation? That has a number of plug-in scripts (Skynet IADS etc) and it could really do with some better AI ground attacks.

Well it would need to be integrated by liberation, i.e. liberation would have to use it when planning missions. But there would be nothing fundamentally difficult about it.

It looks like Liberation uses a plug-in structure for LUA, which is how they use the VEAF Mission Generator stuff for their missions, so I guess it would be a similar sort of deal:

As Liberation just builds regular DCS mission files, it is of course possible just to add the LUA reference and then a quick edit on the attack waypoint for a Do Script etc. Might play with it later.

1 Like

That is excellent man! ED should hire you on as a consultant on some of the AI work.

Nice! You have great patience.

I peeked down that bunny hole: getting them to do what you want them to do, when you want them to do it was a pain. In the end, the only reliable way (but not 100%) was to mess with (change) the ā€˜Missionā€™ task. Doing all the geometry and inserting points, etc.

Then I realized, ā€œthis stuff should be IN THERE alreadyā€ and surly theyā€™re about to drop it in anytime, right? That was a year or two ago.

Good job. Iā€™m gonna play with this tonight.

1 Like

Cool. Just ran a couple of the sample miz files.

I have a ā€˜thingā€™ Iā€™m pounding on that adds what I call ā€œatmosphereā€ to missions (DCS is kind of dead without a lot of work): you can build one (or more) large scale ā€˜templatesā€™ and it will randomly add stuff from that one file for variety. So far it helps.

Testing in the NTTR right now and Iā€™ve been wanting to include AI working over a bombing range; this will make it more pleasing to the eye (wonā€™t look like the standard DCS AI behavior).

1 Like

Seems the best place (real quick search) for thisā€¦

As per this post - response from @bignewy - Iā€™ve dug deeper in an attempt to simplify things and break it down to as concise a request (ā€œWish Listā€ item) as I can. But before I do Iā€™d like the opinions of those here that have more experience than I (@MBot comes to mind but I know there are others). There are related/similar requests going back a couple of years on the ED forum; the closest I can find concerns MP but the idea is the same:

Request
Store, or generate an event, when the PLAYER (in Single Player mode) identifies an arbitrary unit visually, allowing me to use that exact unit for some purpose. Note this is not a specific unit I know about ahead of time for pre-planned action(s).

Background
Currently the ā€œCockpit Visual Recon Modeā€ mechanism allows the player to ā€˜look atā€™ (point their head) and select a unit. This unit is, somehow, being used internally to make the AI aware of this object. However, it appears to have several dependencies based on the AI logic - they will only ā€˜seeā€™ the unit under certain circumstances (what sensors my wingman has; the number of units in the [target] group, etc).

Rationale & Benefits
As the ā€œFlight Leaderā€ if I can see the unit (single APC for instance, in a grove of trees perhaps) then it can be reasoned that my wingman should be able to see it also - imagine that I have ā€œtalked him onā€ to the target. Obviously I canā€™t talk to the AI as I would a human being.

IMO this one item will allow the Single Player, player, to get much more combat functionality from their AI wingmen and broaden the game play for air-to-ground missions from any era simulated in DCS World.

The existing API will allow me to expand on this selected unit: get the entire group; evaluate it (type/speed/weapons/relative position to my wingman/etc); decide actions allowed; etc.

Thanks
JR

1 Like