DCS Community A-4E-C Mod

jeremiah johnson nod GIF

3 Likes
5 Likes

It would be fun to have a (or, if I wasn’t aware, another) A4 Around-the-boat Mudspike session. Maybe blow some stuff up while we’re at it.

5 Likes

I’m in. That sounds fun. Maybe a bit of practise on the boat and some simple soft targets to mess with on tinian?

Had a great A-4 sesh with my squadron last night. I’ll be posting screens once we get a screenshot thread for this year.

4 Likes

Here you go - DCS 2.7.X Screenshots (2022)

1 Like

Hands down, by far the best Unlicensed module.
Needs to stay free for Licensing reasons, but… it should be helped along.

8 Likes

Truly incredible to read how far they went into hacking DCS to get the A-4’s radio and nav working without SDK access!

3 Likes

Exactly… I wish there was a way to allow them an SDK.

3 Likes

From the A-4E-C team (Discord)

A-4E-C and DCS OpenBeta 2.9 Update

Good afternoon, A-4E-C pilots. If you’re updating to DCS 2.9, be advised the A-4E-C’s radios are not compatible with this update, and using their functions will probably result in the client crashing. This can include using the communication radio, VOIP radios, TACAN and MCL (ILS) systems. We’ll be working on a fix to issue along with some other changes as soon as it is feasible to do so, so hang tight and have patience.
The issue is on the tracker here: DCS 2.9 OpenBeta Update breaks Radio functions · Issue #614 · heclak/community-a4e-c · GitHub

3 Likes

@jross you might want to hold off trying to cast your magic on the Scooter until this is fixed

1 Like

I can’t support the A4 without ED allowing normal use of the radios. I have to know the code for COMM1 (or however it’s referred to in a given module). Platforms I have and have managed to find values for are:

F-18/F16/AV8 = COMM1_FREQ
F15E = UHF1_FREQ (just added this one)

The desktop app injects these as appropriate inside the final miz file.

These values are sent from DCS when the user changes the frequency on that radio and as far as I know this functionality isn’t in the A4 cus it doesn’t have/have access to, the radio API…BUT, I haven’t looked at it yet.

About to root around inside the A-10C and Apache to find the values (code is there for supporting them in every other way though).

2 Likes

I imagine this sort of issue happens for all of the community add-ons after major releases as they don’t benefit from any advance notice of such changes as do the official teams. Give them a bit of time and the good folk working on the free A-4E will work their magic.

4 Likes

They’re quick:

8 Likes

Out of beta

6 Likes

And it still just might be the most awesome thing in DCS! Do a CAT 3 in the soup after an AAR and you feel like you’ve really earned your $600 (or whatever a Naval aviator’s monthly salary was back in the 60’s).

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s pretty impressive for a mod.

12 Likes

It’s pretty darn impressive. Has more love and character baked in than many of the paid modules. Compare it to the F-5E, for instance.

If I’d paid $60 for the A-4, I wouldn’t be disappointed. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Using your wrong M words.

Mod = a Modification of Core or 3rd Party Assets
Module = a complete, self contained, fully functional addon.

A-4E-C is a Module, Not a Mod.

It’s just an Unlicensed Module.

4 Likes