DCS 2.7.X Screenshots (2022)

(if you see an existing topic with > 1000 posts in it, feel free to create a [2022] version yourself, and we’ll link/lock the older one).

I needed a DCS screenshot, and I know I should be ashamed of the English pit, but I can’t manage it. :wink:

10 Likes

16 Likes

19 Likes

Just more testing of a mission I have finalized. Having some fun in and out of the clouds.

11 Likes

This is feeling like a module circa 2012, so I’m impressed.

6 Likes

I actually like the english Viggen pit just because I can pretend that we actually managed to export it… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I learnt the Viggen before when it came out and flew it quite a lot (guessing 2018 ish, dunno) but now I’ve sunk back in with a bit more time I can truly say I love it. It is such a nice functional ‘interface’ cockpit where everything makes sense, and feels different from both Soviet and West philosophies. The scope of how much to keep in my head is not overwhelming and the hand flying down low is so much fun. The lack of systems due to the age is a feature, not a problem. Before I sort of thought of it as a poor proxy for a Tornado mission profile, but now I think of it as an equal or (gasp) even better. Heatblur make good aircraft.

5 Likes

That they do… I couldn’t believe it, when the rumors about a DCS Viggen started.
Still, I had a lot of fun in DI Tornado. I’d be all over a DCS Tornado, if someone would do it justice.

5 Likes

We’ll soon have a strike eagle, that does what the F-111 used to do…

4 Likes

Now that I’m somewhat used to the Viggen’s switchology I’m having trouble with the tactics when mountains obscure the target, and there’s no identifiable landmarks around.

12 Likes

Selecting the best position for the pop-up isn’t easy…

1 Like

It’s really the hardest part about the Viggen, which could be the easiest airframe to learn in DCS. It’s got the Counter-Strike formula: Easy to pick up, hard to master.

It could just be a cultural thing; while I depend on freedom and liberty to guide my ARAKs, Swedes get mid-course guidance from Odin.

4 Likes

Is this more targets of opportunity or not a preplanned attack point? So far in my viggen revival I’ve only been hitting things where I had something I could turn into a target point (via that steampunk computer). Could you fly over it and make a mark point, or is that going to kill you?

As someone with :woozy_face: over 2000 hours in CSGO, I agree. Now I’ve done a lot of the campaigns and feel comfortable in it, I’m sort of running out of missions to do - just when I’m feeling less incompetent.

1 Like

This is with pre-planned attacks. With the elevation map I can’t tell exactly where valleys are unless there’s a clearly defined river there, so sometimes the PUP ends up on the side of a slope, messing up my heading in the pop. Often when I clear the mountain and start looking to acquire the target, I’ve extended too far or not extended far enough, with no room to correct.

2 Likes

So, I’ve started another side mission building venture again with the Harrier. I want to relearn this beautiful attack aircraft and all its features that are new to me since I have not really flown it for a few years. The first venture you all have seen is based at RAF Akrotiri on the Syria map. I continue to build missions for that venture but have also now begun relearning stuff on the Harrier flying off the Tarawa and of course I have to use the relatively new Marianas Map.

These screenshots show first test flight of first mission I built practicing taking off and landing on the Tarawa including a long route to the Marianas Weapons Range on Farallon de Medinilla. I’ve placed the Tarawa at the very edge of the Harrier’s combat radius, so you do need to practice air-2-air refueling.

When heading back to the Tarawa after practicing dropping dumb bombs, I wanted to hit the tanker in order to get some safety space in terms of fuel but the E-2D told me “no tanker available.” I assume that all the other AI Harriers I had in the mission took all the fuel so there was nothing left for me, and the tanker split back to home base.

So, there I was with dwindling fuel and out in the middle of the ocean between a rock and a hard place. I did some calculations with the onboard computers to determine how I could get back to Tarawa without having to take a swim.

The last screenshot shows me, the Harrier in the foreground parked up front. I just ran out of fuel as I was rolling to a stop at the parking space. I do love the Marianas map, gives one a slight bit of stress thinking there is nothing down there to assist you other than making it back to the carrier or LHA. This skin is one of my favorites for the Harrier.

11 Likes

15 Likes

20 Likes

Good lord the vapor on that Phantom is dope.

Scwhacked that SA-6 site that shot at me in an earlier mission.

17 Likes

Do you know the history of that skin/squadron?

I do not. If you know the history of that skin/squadron, I would love to hear about it.

1 Like