DCS F-14 Tomcat Launch Impressions MEGATHREAD

https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/DCS_func_getDetectedTargets

Enjoy! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Note: Since didn’t take the Tomcat plunge, I felt obligated to change my Avatar.

4 Likes

Found @near_blind’s house…

11 Likes

How about just ’ milestone in combat flightsims ’ ?

I mean is this that far beter than A2A Sims with their Accu-sim planes ?

The way I see it, it doesn’t have to be better than anything to be considered a ’milestone’.
By comparison, a milestone is just one of many, along the road, but it will remain for a long, long time and it shows us how far we’ve come.

I’m just saying that this module will be remembered and something we all will look back on, in years to come.

Others can do the bickering and quarreling about what piece of software is better or worse. :wink:

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Clear Cockpit Labels Mod

You look so similar to @Fridge now - it’s sort of mirror universe stuff. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agree. I used bad phrasing. More like is the Cat that revolutionary that it outshines Accu-sim planes ? Just a question.

I have no idea. Do they have AI crew?

1 Like

I just flew the most awesome couple of 1v1 gun duels vs the AI.
The first one was vs a Su-27 over Georgia. By the fifth or sixth turn Jester called out “come on man, do some of that pilot ■■■■!”. That was cool. I also gunned down the crane. Too easy comrade!

The second fight was a tough as nails losing scrap vs a viper. He was on my six. Only in a scissor just after a couple of yo-yo’s that left us both riding the burners on the edge of a stall did I get a passing squirt off. I missed.

Round and round we went, me defensive at least half the time. And every time I could go offensive, he’d just slip away. And then I glimpsed my fuel state! Time to turn the blowers off and knock it off. The AI does not understand ‘knock it off’ so he kept coming.
I turned, I twisted. Kicked the big ol’ cat all over the sky (at high AoA you roll with the pedals). And then the viper just bit the dust. Maneouver-kill.
Very carefully (only 2k in the tank) and with a huge hairy pair dangling in the wind I flew back and landed on Nellis.

1 Like

You certainly do have to keep an eye on the fuel state when you start turnin & burnin at low level…

Refueling

Watching @MBot during some pattern work

8 Likes

Beautiful screenshots miRage, looks almost real life.

I’m really, really starting to hate that hydraulic transfer pump switch.

1 Like

Hard to reach? I had issues with it the very first time I tried a cold start, then after that I’ve been able to shift my TrackIR view enough to press it easily.

Easy to reach are the on/off switches for HUD, VDI and TDI. Notice how they are neatly ordered to general uselessness: VDI, HUD, TDI. Wit the most useless one to the left and least useless to the right. Nothing is random in there. That pit was not just lovingly crafted by heatblur, the grumman guys knew and loved their gig too!

I need some tips on what controls to bind, I’ve been trying to find the view zoom binds but I cannot for the life of me find them for some reason. Where have they hidden that?

Axis Commands list

1 Like

For years I have laughed at F-14 fans girlishly anticipating what was to me a b.u.f.f. But just like in the past where I have ridiculed others I find that a sim version of Stockholm Syndrome kicks in and I get sucked in just as deep, maybe even deeper. The F-14 is a masterwork.

10 Likes

I meant the keyboard assignments you can use for view zoom, wide, normal, slow in, slow out. I like to bind those to my joystick

I too am guilty of this… now that I am sitting in it I wish nothing else anymore. Then I think of the Viggen and the Harrier and feel like taking those for a spin. I have a problem Smokinhole…

5 Likes