DCS F-16: why I like/dis-like the next ED module

APG-68 v5 had a Manual DTOS (Dive Toss) mode.

Designate target, fly low, pull up and it will auto release.

Scorching the tires, or melting them if you will, and even with 2 MAVs you cant have anything important or explosive of Sta 2 or 10.

Thats pretty much on point.

That sounds right. I now we tested some in 2004 or 2005 for F-15E models. Never really paid attention to 16s or when they got them as I switched to 15Cā€™s and then eventually A-10Cā€™s

I would be interested in what that 2007 TO says about AIM-7ā€™sā€¦

1 Like

Yup.

Nope - inner rack has a nasty habit of bursting the rear landing gear and damaging the wheel pod.

Turns out forcibly ejecting several hundred pounds of explosives and rocket fuel directly towards your intakes, landing gear, and fuselage is a bad idea.

4 Likes

Think I have seen it mentioned on a forum but not listed as a limitation in the manual.

F-16 issue is with the inner Mav scorching the Elevon so was a war time only loadout.

AIM-7 not listed unsurprisingly.

Even though the APG-68 could support AIM-7 pretty much natively using a Pulse Doppler waveform, the AMRAAM came along anyway so the USAF never bothered outside of the ADF it would appear.

Egypt, and Iraq are some of the few F-16C users with AIM-7 - probably because they were not allowed AMRAAM - or saying that the Iraqi FMS requested about 300 Sparrows but have not seen any live ones being carried.

I do believe guard units carried them as well. I know active didnā€™t but I didnā€™t know when it was phased out.

That extra large pylon looks unique for the AIM-7 and you can only carry 2 of them at the cost of a lot of drag and weight.

1 Like

F-16Cs? - any photos.

The F-16A Block 15 OCU (non ADF) was supposed to be setup for AMRAAM and AIM-7 also.

So I think the C never carried it,

There is or was, an F-16 on a stick at Ellington Field in Houston TX with Aim-7s on it.

This one ?

Imgur

General Dynamics F-16A Block 15K ADF - 82-0930, Ellington Field (KEFD), Houston Texas

2008 but looks like it has the AIM-7 pylons.

USAF F-16A ADF #82-0930 is painted in the colors of the 111th FS. It acts as a gate guard at Ellington ANGB when photographed there on September 8th, 1999. [Photo by Ohrchen]

2 Likes

Yeppers thatā€™s the one. So A model it is.

This is pretty cool.

(source: https://twitter.com/e_amyna/status/954305970146078720?lang=en)

7 Likes

I never meant that in a way that validates childish forum discussions. All Iā€™m saying is that there is an active community playing BMS, and that if they produce something on a current tech base that renders BMS rather obsolete or redundant, they will have more action on their software base and servers and be more relevant. Iā€™m sure most people donā€™t play favorites and fly lotā€™s of different flightsims so they can enjoy the strengths of eachā€¦

Iā€™m not really excited for a DCS Viper. We lost many aircraft projects, to have this pushed ahead.
But given my opinion, a mid-life A-model would have been cool. CCIP only with early Mavs. Fits a Cold War Europe scenario perfectly.

1 Like

I really looking forward to flying the Harrier somedayā€¦

spacey1

5 Likes

That is a good point. Think about the Bug. All it was really missing at its release was a couple of A2A modes and Maverick (an over simplification to be sure but you know what I mean). An a model would be greatā€“all the fun of a complete Lawn Dartā€¦sorryā€¦Viper ā€¦they could release the C later onā€¦heck, Iā€™d pay for the upgrade.

4 Likes

Iā€™m looking forward to it, the 16 is just a beautiful design.

I think a point being missed is that for those of you that wish for an A: you can build missions to restrict payloads to that capability - obviously avionics are still modern, which would still be a downside to you. However, everyone else can still go crazy.

If they make an A, nobody can enjoy the more modern capabilities until those models are made, if ever. I think EDā€™s choice will do best as a business decision, since a module has to earn its keep through sales to be made in the first place.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s eventually where the bread is buttered (emphasis mine). So itā€™s all good. Also plenty time for the sim world to mature to accomodate the Mighty Phantom when that grand old thing gets its turn :smiley:

4 Likes

Love it!