DCS F/A-18C (Open Beta) Initial Impressions AAR

Agreed fellas. Last night, I had the supreme pleasure of cold and dark starting my Hornet, taking off, navigating by TACAN and waypoints, RTBing when bingo fuel sounded, shooting a clean approach and touching down with ~ 700 lbs of go juice remaining. Everything worked as it should! Wonderful aircraft! Well done ED! Now to learn how to blow stuff up.

5 Likes

Look ma, I made it! (awesome skin, @SkateZilla!)

2 Likes

Sounds like a fun night. I got committed to a couple parties this weekend (work/social ones, not the fun throwdown ones)…so I’m not able to fly this weekend until Sunday night probably…

My first attempt at parking on deck.

Shots of @near_blind taking off.

And some of @near_blind landing.

6 Likes

Y’all tried setting the DCS desktop to hornet and turning the music on? It almost plays “America F yea” from the team america movie :smiley: Much fun was had composing that tune I guess.

It’s this one? DCS World F/A-18C Hornet Menu Theme - YouTube

yup and it reminds me of this (NSFW!):

2 Likes

In case you have not heard, Red Kite posted a video on how to populate the carrier. In said video he posted a populated carrier mission. Daddy Likes.
Because the editor does not work very well he posted this

What a guy!! Enjoy folks

1 Like

Getting in some practice tonight with the iron bombs.

So. Pretty. (yep, one of @SkateZilla’s skins)

Something wicked this way comes…

Inbound to the practice range (that skin tho)

Coming off the range safe, after expending two Mk-20’s, two Mk-82 Snakeyes, two Mk-82 slicks, and approximately 500 rounds of 20mm.

…and the results of my handiwork. Obviously, I still have a lot of learning to do.

This jet is purely a blast to fly! Well, provided you’re in a clean configuration and your speed is above about 160 knots. :wink:

Back to the books!

2 Likes

I got through all the training missions tonight. The navigation ones seemed kinda light. I dont feel like I really know how to use the ADF and TACAN that well.

And Holy crap! I’m having one hell of a time transitioning from the overhead break to on-speed AOA! Once I’m there, flying using the throttle is just dandy. But I seem to need about +/- 500 ft of altitude and +/- 40 kts to get there. Flaps seen to do some weird stuff…

1 Like

Ok…
Maybe. Just maybe, the Hornet has shown that I may perhaps not be just quite the sierra hotel DCS pilot that I may have though I was… :worried:

In flight refueling, or should I call it fencing with the bucket, is…difficult.
Getting down on the carrier is also quite the challenge.

But then it’s soooo satisfying when I succeed! :heart_eyes:

The Hornet is all that I love about flightsimming and has all of that «big sim» release feeling I had when I first tried Janes F-15E or Falcon4.

1 Like

Sorry for the wait.
Here goes.

Pixel Density 1.5

1 Like

I think I found a radar bug …

(be sure to turn on subtitles/closed captions)

2 Likes

Lol.

Yeah the radar has some very problematic issues. Not seen that one though.

Well i may as well add it in. Not sure if its correct, but both the 77 and 75th Aussie skins have a backwards flag on the right tail.

1 Like

I dropped some bombs today. Worked…nicely actually. I destroyed some APCs.
Just noticed some things I cannot explain and that might be bugs or not:

• the plane refuses to let me pick CCIP again if I have used AUTO to drop the same type of bomb before. It just switches back immediately. I tried undesignating, switching profiles, turning off A/G mode and turning it back on, doesn’t work.
  • the plane always drops two or three bombs although I set the QTY to 1.
  • Mk20 and CBU99 drop short every time.

I am pretty sure I am doing something wrong but I don’t know what.
Any hints?
(I will also read the manual again).

I think I’m also getting either early detonations, or very little dispersal when using the Rocks.

The altitude could be adjusted to have a better footprint, that’s OK.
But the dropping short is weird to me.
Basically I can tell pretty early that they will go very short if I watch them in the F6 view. As if their drag was way higher than computed.
Normally cluster bombs should fly as if they want to go wide, and then explode over the target.
The ones I dropped didn’t even go near the point the CCIP was on when I pressed the trigger.
I tried different angles and it only works decently when I go in very steep.
The normal 30-45 degrees angle for delivery doesn’t work at all.
So to me it sounds as if I was doing something wrong. I just don’t know what yet.

just dropped a full load of cluster bombs and every one went short … tried from low alt, high alt/ level and in a 15 degree dive. and finally tried auto mode…
is there a special fuse setting or height to drop them from… but with the getting back to ccip mode … you have to make sure you have no target designated and that the hud is not the sensor of interest thing

2 Likes

Pleased to here of this as it means I am not such a sh@t shot

3 Likes