DCS F/A-18C

Is it a bug (pardon the pun), or is it me.

Flying around on “through the inferno” U.S. server today and noticed a problem when loading up with all A2A load

Firing the missiles, the stores page shows the correct amount remaining, but looking in external view, i still have most or all of my missiles visually on the rail. Only noticed that today…

Works fine for me, with max AMRAAMs or mix. What’s your loadout?

Tried it with
Asymetric 5 x 120c, 2 x aim 7 + 2 heaters
And
8 x 120c, 2 x aim 7, 2 x heaters

Wonder if its the server or my comp. My comp has become a tad dishevelled lately.

I can’t duplicate the issue at all, at least not in single player.

Only noticed it on multiplayer the last time i played.

2 posts were split to a new topic: DCS F/A-18C New Feature Poll

A post was merged into an existing topic: DCS F/A-18C New Feature Poll

here is the problem I am having. Happens some times and not others, but more often than not. only tested in multiplayer. problem only seems attached to aim 120c’s that I am using.
stores page showing only one missile should be on outer pylon

but visually there are two

here Is another after i fired off all missiles
Stores page shows that only an aim9x should be on the right hand wing tip pylon all else gone.

what I actually see.

testing with @Maclean last night in multiplayer. It was showing for him the correct visuals, but not for me.

4 Likes

I saw a report on Hoggit (I think). It is a known issue.

I bet an F-111 wouldn’t have that problem.

2 Likes

If the F-111 were in DCS, none of these problems would. Everybody would be hauling around massive loads of iron bombs, and weird missile problems would be a thing of the past.

2 Likes

Wow…for a few moments there @schurem was channelling @Bogusheadbox…spooky. :wink:

2 Likes

That must be the problem: need to put a couple bombs on there in addition to the missiles!

A funky IFF, and a lesson learned. (i.e. the radar needs urgent sorting)

I have really only noticed this since last patch (though i have shot @maclean) because IFF told me to. This is not an isolated incidence, and i have witnessed several similar events just today.

Anyhow onwards to the story.

Bogus is cruising towards an enemy about angles 25 ish. I have an enemy phantom locked up. He is a few thousand feet lower and another friendly f18 is also closing from his flank and in the conns. I am sure the other f18 is closer and i realise how wonderful TWS would be to up situational awareness.

However the phantom seems set on me and the 3 of us are all converging. The enemy is entering max range for my missile and as i thought, the other f18 was closer and launches. I am too far away to really tell, but on full zoom i can make out the f4 going into an almost verticle dive. The pixels merge of the missile and phantom and there is a faint black smoke.

A second later whilst in the vertical dive IFF changes from a diamond to a square. My spidey sense is fooled. A converging missile, a sudden vertical dive and a puff off smoke. Plus as we all know IFF shows as friendly when the enemy is toast.

By now, me tracking all of this on full zoom, sitting fat dumb and happy decided to watch a phantom lawn dart at impressive speed (of course assuming he is dead).

Imagine my surprise when i see the phantom pull up at the last moment with supersonic speed and misses the ground and starts a climb towards me. Then add more surprise when simultaneously i view the phantom nose up on me at the same time these two things happen.

1. IFF turns from friendly to hostile
  2. a bright flash and missile trail leaves the phantom and heads for me.

Despite a flurry of countermeasures, i bight the big one.

IFF is being a dick, and now i am spending more missiles ensuring things are dead, because they bloody well aren’t

5 Likes

So, IFF in the real world is never used as a 100% guarantee that it’s an enemy (we call this PID or positive ID) all IFF can ever give you is Lack of Friendly, and you should never trust it 100%
Real world we don’t shoot into merging situations BVR because of all of the issues you are running into and how difficult it is to tell what you are actually locked to. Even with link 16 we are very hesitant to do that because of network lag, scope errors etc.
Now not saying the radar is correct, but you can mitigate the IFF issues by having things that I always harp on about like having a clear leading edge of friendlies (knowing everyone in front of you is hostile) maintaining formation integrity, and having clearly defined areas of responsibility or “lanes” for different formations. It also helps to have a clear mission so you can then define how trigger happy you are going to be.

Long story short we have been very spoiled by super unrealistic implementations of IFF and as it gets more realistic if you operate utilizing the tactics we have always used you are going to have issues (reference blue flag and hornet frat issues due to none of the things I talked about)

4 Likes

The IFF definitely needs some issues worked out though. Sometimes it seems as though it assumes hostile unless proven otherwise instead of showing ambiguous until solved otherwise. The other day I did a short flight and was showing a diamond on a friendly the entire time I had him locked up.

This is one area that personally I’m ok with being on the more unrealistic “sim-light” side. Make the aircraft think about it momentarily to solve for IFF, and then solve it. We just don’t have a good or reliable enough implementation of AIC to not have it.

you are also not wrong, hopefully getting link may help alleviate alot of these issues especially if AWACS/GCI can populate PPLIs for non link players.

I played online for the first time last night and a friendly bug popped my Harrier without checking at all. Depending on where you’re at, I have a nagging suspicion that most folks won’t even use the IFF query! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think playing on servers such as blue flag makes people want to get it right. Those airframes are special and can take a while to replace.

1 Like

Pretty much this. There’s always the classic Air Quake brawl which is great for getting your fix of violence in, but the limited lives / persistent tactical situation servers are only getting more intricate and involved as assets expand and code stabilizes. It’ll be exciting to see how far they push the envelope when dedicated servers drop.