DCS F/A-18C

Could be an Air Force thing, IE we aren’t defending the fleet.

Also the prevalence of AMRAAM as the primary bvr weapon as opposed to sparrow for those situations, once it opens its eyes you don’t know what it’ll go after that it sees.

Just to add a little book knowledge. In the 1983 Bekaa Valley campaign, Israeli Air Force F-15 scored just one of 34 kills in a BVR engagement. They had a standing visual identification ROE that could only be overridden by ground controller clearance. There is even the story of one pilot getting clearance for a BVR shot, but pressing on to visually ID his target none the less, finding it to be a friendly IDF/AF aircraft.

2 Likes

This the tactical/operational/multi-service doctrine discussion that is, right now, being discussed at the Theater Fleet and Air Force level. I have been in many paper (computer) and actual flying exercises where different methods of effectively conducting an air campaign against a near-peer adversary (who also has excellent BVR capability) while minimizing the chances of fratricide, were tested. Obviously I’m not got to say what worked and what didn’t…and I left that aspect of my career in 2011 so who know what they are looking at now.

It is a tough problem. You can’t accept fratricide losses but if you move in to PID, you are toast.

The fact that we are having the same discussion, with varying degrees of expertise in the subject–to include people who are new to the subject who bring fresh ideas– says a lot about the fidelity of the FA-18…(one must mention “FA-18” at least every 10th post)

…what we need now is a Flanker with the same missile/weapons fidelity. :sunglasses:

They took away the Su-33’s capability of rocking a Kh-41. :slightly_frowning_face:

Otherwise, it’s got bombs and rockets, just like the bug currently does!

For one of the next updates, correct Pulse Repetition Frequency (PRF) affect will be included. Now in the internal test version, selection of High or Medium PRF will be a significant impact on target detection.

• High (HI) PRF will be able to detect targets at longer ranges, but must have a good Vc.

• Medium (MED) PRF will be better at detecting targets at low Vc values (receding to abeam).

• The Interleave (INTL) mode will alternate HI and MED bars in the scan.

In addition to antenna elevation, beam shape, azimuth, and range, this will be another important factor to consider when searching for targets on the radar.

Some other priority items in the cue:

1- AIM-7MH Home On Jam (HOJ) mode
2- A/A Bullseye on radar page indications
3- Radar BRA indication
4- Auto range scale adjustment
5- HARM
6- GBU-10/16/12
7- FPAS page
8- JHMCS
9- Correct radar lock loss and RTS
10- LTWS

Thanks!

6 Likes

Thank you NineLine, I believe you and the ED team are on the right track here with regards to priorities, particularly point 2 and 3.

P.S. Hello everybody, I’ve been reading this board for quite some time but never registered before. I have found this board is one of the saner places out there with regards to sim -and DCS-development discussions and if you’ll have me I’ll be happy to join in. :grin:

12 Likes

Hey there @Easy!

Welcome to Mudspike!

Yes, we do try to have a focus on the fact that we all enjoy flightsims and hanging out here. :slight_smile:

Have a look at the FAQ, or just ask, if there’s anything you want to know.

1 Like

Welcome @Easy !

Welcome aboard @Easy.

Welcome @Easy!

Glad you dropped by - welcome aboard. There is a good group here with lots of diverse experience.

Don’t candy coat it Beach. This is a bloody flight simmer’s wet dream. Where else can one fly an F-18C Hornet alongside a real Hornet driver? :grin: Same goes for major airline, corporate, aerobatic competitors, maintainers, defense contractors, intel officers, nuke officers, and other disciplines. I think that we’ve had a Harrier pilot dropping in on the AV-8B thread, as rare as that is.

And all for the price of a coffee mug.

Anyway, one would do well to keep their MUDSPIKE membership in good standing.

5 Likes

we just need to complete the list by getting an f111 pilot joining us for the upcoming f-111 module…… Because bogus is good with a baseball bat

5 Likes

Ah yes, @Deacon211

He popped in here a couple of times, had some great things to tell. We tried to ask him what he thought of the AV-8B, but I believe he signed an NDA with Raz. I suppose that can only mean good things!

You also forgot to mention everybody’s favorite F-15E WSO!

3 Likes

Hey you are forgetting a washed out philosopher turned out housekeeper :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Whats my community Label? Lmao.

1 Like

That son of a gun who posts all the sweet Super Hornet media before we can get our dirty mitts on it.

1 Like

Mod Master Supreme?

1 Like

I havent dont that in a while, might need to relapse.

6 Likes

Post some of that sweeet Flanker-C stuff as well while you’re at it :heart_eyes:

1 Like