DCS F/A-18C

1 Like

https://i.imgur.com/Qusqko8

1 Like

…actually I think that is one of the signs of the apocalypse…its been a while since I studied the passage but remember part of it…“and lo, then I broke the sixth seal and another horseman appeared. He was riding a drab brown horse with swinging wings, a long snout and a long tongue that struck at the ground, smiting the tiniest of creatures. The rider held aloft a coffer, inside of which was a false crown. Twin tongues of flame shot out the back of the horse and all about him was blurred by heat…”

… or something like that.

5 Likes

Father is an ordained minister. Can confirm this is accurate.

5 Likes

Is it just me or does the bug AI only work on the Gulf map? In the Black Sea and Nevada, the bug wingmen seem real timid about engaging bandits, but on the Gulf they’re like bulldogs.

Did you tell am to turn on their radars?

No option to do so.

Guess the mission editor needs to do so then

11 Likes

I like it!

1 Like

Yeah…I think a couple things in the ME may have been changed in the latest release. I’mnotice I am being “hand cuffed” into certain specific Waypoint tasks depending on the overall mission and ME not allowing certain aircraft to carry out specific missions.

No I don’t want an AWACS doing CAS (it would look cool though) just the ability to pick any mission that is compatible with the aircraft.

For example, right now the Viggen won’t do Ground Attack, only CAS or Precision Strike (or whatever it’s called). That limits the special waypoint functions it can preform - possibly also some options (Just discovered last night - still have to explore it)

Is this the same in the FA-18? Does CAP assume their radars are on? But Fighter sweep assume they are off until you turn them on?

IIRC, the default behavior for any aircraft with a radar is to have the radar on regardless of task. You can check in the Set Options → Radar using tab, the default behavior should be the yellow/orange option.

How much ELINT I&W (Indicationsn and Warning) does DCS do?

In RL, timely, accurate I&W is the responsibility of the intel folks. At the Strategic and Operational level we use various national and service-specific systems. DCS is at the tactical level (with a bit of operational thrown in during campaigns).

At the tactical leveling RL, on land - for both Blue and Red - this means some type of funky van with a bunch of antennas, if possible a number spread around the battlefield and networked so as to get triangulation. (Set aside naval stuff because DCS ships have pretty basic air/sea search radars/ no ESM.)

I noticed that such vans are not in the DCS inventory. So aircraft are limited to their RWR gear. Absent this type of theater/battlefield ELINT I&W system, it probably does not matter when you turn on the Hornet’s / your wingmen Hornets’ radars. Yes?

Very little, from what I can tell. I do know that I’ve set up EWRs and they’ll vector enemy fighters to positions if they’re on CAP, but I can’t honestly call that ELINT I&W per se.

AI jets will automatically kick out flares if you fire IR missiles at them, so they already know what’s coming beforehand. Strangely enough, they won’t seem to defensively react to a Viggen loaded with Sidewinders and will happily let you blast them down one by one. :thinking:

9 Likes

I want to dogfight the read or yellow and red one…even these old eyes using TrackIR might be able to keep track of those!

3 Likes

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3629425&postcount=78

Time for a little update!

Much our Hornet work has been focused on an overhaul of the Hornet radar. As you might imagine, this has been a huge task, but it will be worth it for the Hornet and other aircraft. As of today, it’s near impossible to shake a lock with just ownship maneuvers. Now we just need to have the radar RTS after lock loss and MEM mode times out.

We’ve also started initial tests of the JHMCS in the simulation. The attached image is an image of the HMD at a VERY incomplete state. We are now adding more and more of its symboloy and functions.

MK-82YT Ballute and CBU-100 have been added internally.

Speaking of CBU, the destructive power of anti-armor sub-munitions have been significantly increased, as well as the coverage footprint.

The Flashing X on the radar has been when a person skips turning on the radar during a cold start has been fixed.

Target lock in MPRF against short range, high-aspect targets has been corrected.

AIM-7 HOJ is active development.

New interactive training missions for CASE I recovery, AIM-9, and AIM-120 are now being created.

Locked target HUD symbology jumping around has been addressed.

TCN symboloy on HSI when viewed from a duplicate display has been fixed.

Other items in the near-term cue:

• HARM
  • LGBs
  • FPAS page
  • Automatic range scale adjustment
  • A/A Waypoint, BRA, and Bullseye functions
  • LWTS

ATFLIR is also a high priority, but we first need to complete a an all new and improved FLIR rendering system.

15 Likes
5 Likes

Matt’s original post as linked states, “MK-82YT Ballute and CBU-100 have been added internally.”

Is that a late edit?

1 Like

Could be. Wags seems to have edited the post about 2 hours after he made it on the ED forums.