DCS F/A-18C

“CRUDE” doesn’t begin to describe it! It was practically text! But like you I loved it. And I had completely forgotten about it until you just brought it up. Thank you!

one of the simple things I enjoy in FreeFalcon6.0 to this day is the ability to control the aircraft to the catapult and raise the jetblast deflector manually.

I still fly FF6.0 because of the single player theaters and campaigns :+1:

DCS will eventually have to implement allot more to carrier deck ops and strike group functionality and all its systems to some level or sim depth no doubt. Been on the back burner for sometime now. The A.i is what is letting it down, I was told it will eventually happen but not in the foreseeable future. Maybe now with the F-18 some speed is on the way.

Cross the fingers and pray hard :hugs:

Had a funny experience with that when playing the last Bug mini campaign mission; my wingman landed first and parked his fat butt right there on the landing area, so when I trapped I stopped about 5ft shy from his nose. I might have let out an expletive at him.

In the real world they have sailors that raise the JBDs for you…so you don’t have to climb out of the jet to do it. :wink:

2 Likes

In the real world they have sailors that raise the JBDs for you…so you don’t have to climb out of the jet to do it

:scream: LoL well that is the actual instruction given, I’m in the pit giving orders to the sailers via keyboard haha

1 Like

Emotes Mr. “Let’s play Falcon 4! Oh wait, you were thinking this decade? I meant it as more of an aspirational goal”

3 Likes

I had the WWI sim in FSII but I didn’t have FS1 so I don’t recall if it was in there.

I remember the other planes were basically sideways TIE fighters, two parallel horizontal lines with a square between them. It was the inverse of the division symbol. :slight_smile: I always wondered why the terrain was so much smaller than the regular terrain. It didn’t have more detail or anything!

That pair of mountain ranges were not just 2D, they were cardboard cutout thin and all white on the background so it honestly looked more like a kid had jigsawed the top of some foam core board to make it. As you flew the perspective would change to make it apparent just how fake they were.

All the flight sims looked about that bad in the 80s until the first one where I could tell what plane it was by its appearance, MPS F-19! Polygonal 3D models!! :astonished: F-19 also had carrier ops, even though it was a USAF jet!

We just need carrier ops like we had in the 90s again. F-14 FD was always my favorite.

It’s been so long, so how did we land F-15Es on carriers? I think I got shot down every time before finding out. :laughing:

You were lucky to have it 3D!

Beck in my day we had to fight in 2D both ways…

5 Likes

Oh man I played a lot of that back in the day.

2 Likes

For the upcoming 3 October 2018 update, we plan to further update the APG-73 radar for the Hornet. In the previous update, we greatly improved the ability of the radar to maintain a lock during hard ownship maneuvering. In next week’s update, we will further refine MEM (memory) mode, TDC location after a dropped lock (not move to stowed position), and B-Sweep behavior after a lost lock. The remaining item in this task is to adjust B-Sweep after an Undesignate Button track cancel. We are also now working on L&S auto-centering.

4 Likes

Great test! It held track to the limits of the scan.

Is this a new improvement or already in the latest build that we have?

If new, I might suggest another, very similar, realistic test.

A head on engagement with a highly maneuverable target. Co altitude. Using an AIM-7M (if you have the time you could test the F too).

When in range, center the dot and shoot. Immediately take a hard offset (left or right) putting the target near the limits of the scan but still illuminating it for the AIM-7, and steady up.

As i’m sure you are probably aware, this is a standard tactic to reduce Vc, giving the missile time to do its job and allowing you a bit mot time for a follow up he’d on shot if needed.

Not sure how the AI will react but in the real world you can expect the target to go defensive with a hard break and possibly a rapid altitude change.

If he breaks the “same” direction as you offset (i.e it’s a mirror image; you offset right and he breaks left) then it is easier to keep it in the scan. However, if he breaks opposite the offset (offset right; tgt break right), then it becomes more difficult to keep him in scan–you will have to “come back”.

That said, if this is already part of the current Mod, I know what I’m doing this afternoon. :sunglasses:

I think it’s in the latest build because I just tried what you said and my AIM-7 hit.

1 Like

The video is for the next update release.

4 Likes

Cool! Thanks!

1 Like

What new feature of the Hornet are you most looking forward to?

Thread Link - What new feature of the Hornet are you most looking forward to? - DCS: F/A-18C Hornet - ED Forums

How can anyone just choose one… ALL PLEASE! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Although these are defo must :

• Joint Helmet Mounted Cuing System (JHMCS)
  • ATFLIR Targeting Pod

As mentioned previously, one of our priority tasks for the Hornet is the introduction of the Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System (JHMCS).

https://www.rockwellcollins.com/Products-and-Services/Defense/Avionics/Displays-and-Controls/Helmet-Mounted-Displays/Joint-Helmet-Mounted-Cueing-System.aspx

This week we passed a key milestone with the completion of basic symbology, display blanking (most of the HMD is not displayed when looking at the HUD), and some of the related DDI pages.

Our next big task for the JHMCS will be AIM-9X integration.

Our intent is to bring the JHMCS to you later this month.

8 Likes

Looks sweet. Will the JHMCS display friendly datalink contacts? Like to help with spotting?

Oopsie…

6 Likes