DCS F/A-18C

TWS → Track While Scan, the radar will not show radar returns but tracks for contacts, that means that in between radar returns, it extrapolates the position based on last known speed and heading.

RWS → Range While Scan, the radar will show returns directly as blips on the screen that slowly fade away. This is the most basic A/A radar screen.

LTWS → Latent Track While Scan, basically a mixture of both. The radar will operate like in RWS, but when you move the radar cursor over a blip, you will get tracking like in TWS mode.

3 Likes

The AN/APG-73 is a mature late stage mechanically scanned radar, and has a number of… quality of life features intended to reduce the pilot work load in high stress situations.

Traditionally RWS or Range While Scan is displays radar contacts as “bricks”, contacts that are displayed in range and azimuth from the emitter. From successive radar hits, the radar operator might interpolate their rough heading and speed based off of how they move across the screen, but more accurate information is generally not available unless the contact is locked up in STT or another mode. Think RWS in the F-15, or RWS as it is now in the F/A-18 now.

TWS or Track While Scan is another layer on top of this. Using successive radar sweeps or “frames”, the a computer is able to interpolate the heading and speed of a contact based off it’s movement between each sweep. From this information it’s able to create “track”, which is a guess of where the contact will travel in between radar sweeps, and is updated every time the radar sees the target again.

LTWS, or Latent TWS is a mode in the Hornet that is a blend of the two. While in RWS with LTWS enabled, the radar will essentially perform TWS in the background. Radar contacts will still show up as bricks on the screen, however the radar is also creating tracks for what it considers the eight highest priority contacts it can see. As @sobek you can then quickly check the information about the contact (mach, altitude, heading) by hovering your cursor over it. You can also rapidly cycle between available tracks by hitting the “undesignated” button.

This is beneficial because it allows you the relatively rapid update ability of RWS, with the option of the greater situational awareness provided by TWS, without having to deal with the slow refresh time of TWS if time is critical.

Plus with TWS you can fire active missiles without switching to STT, which is a pretty sneaky way to gain an advantage in a BVR engagement.

There are pros and cons to that. The F-15C frankly over represents this capability and has given it an outsized reputation relative to its worth.

The achilles heel of TWS is that it is slow. Depending on your azimuth and bar settings and range, it can take two or four seconds to get a “hit” on a bandit. If the thing you’re shooting at maneuvers aggressively in the intervening time, it’s entirely possible he can either enter the notch, or reposition to a point far enough away that the radar doesn’t recognize the contact as being related to the track in which case the lock will be broken. I’m not entirely familiar with how the AN/APG-73 is meched, but there is a very real possibility that if the contact manages it just right, there can be four or eight seconds where the radar has lost the contact, but because of how long it takes to build frames, that information is not conveyed to the pilot.

You can say that they won’t maneuver if they don’t know they’ve been shot at, but if your opponent knows the general capabilities of your missile and radar, they can form a rough timeline on when you can shoot, and take action to counter that regardless of whether they know a missile is in the air or not.

Unless you’re shooting bombers, missiles, or someone whose capabilities you have a very low opinion of, you’re still probably going to want to shoot in STT.

For all you sports fans watching at home, this applies to the Tomcat too, as you will see.

1 Like

If he notches, you have no advantage in STT over TWS, but you’re right, it’s not an all-seeing eye.

The higher refresh rate means you can watch him maneuvering to enter it, and thus have a better idea of where he might have gone. In TWS there’s the potential that * poof *, he just disappears, in which case you are in for some very frantic MPRF RWS searching.

The bigger problem with TWS (again not properly shown in DCS so far) is the vast reduction in search volume in order to maintain higher fidelity tracks. That 60 degree four bar sweep you get in the F-15 right now is … optimistic to say the least.
It’s also not near as good data as STT in general, if they start modeling it appropriately (as they seem to be in the hornet) you may notice in STT right now it can actually be pretty tough to notch the hornet, because it goes into mem mode and then tries to re acquire, and so far in my experience has been doing a fairly good job of picking them back up unlike everything else which just drops immediately.

In TWS you are probly not going to get that capability because it can’t try and re-acq, while maintaining the sweep pattern.

The other factor that is not an issue right now but might be in the future as they are getting more in depth on radars is jamming, TWS by its nature can not resist jamming as well as STT just because it’s not focusing the radar on a particular target, it has to trust the little hits of information it gets, which are not going to be as high quality.

As far as them detecting a lock on in TWS, eh any flanker pilot worth his salt should assume they are getting shot at kinematically (based on range) regardless of hard spike status, and you’ve got the missile itself going active at 8 miles to the target which gives them plenty of time to react, so… essentially it’s a fun tactic to think about, but in practice it’s not really that effective.

5 Likes

Bit of a parallel to this discussion, but will we be able to track and engage multiple targets at the same time in the Bug?

In TWS yes you should be able to.

Not to get too off topic, but a question for @near_blind, how do the Tomcat’s radar modes differ from the Hornet?

1 Like

More than you’d expect, less than you’d hope.

The AWG-9 has two operational modes: Pulse Doppler and Pulse, and from a user perspective you can almost consider them two separate sets.

Pulse Doppler or PD encompasses your TWS modes, RWS, PD STT and “PD Search”. The first three act more or less like what you might have seen in the F/A-18, F-15, or F-16, just with information displayed a bit different. PD Search is analogous to a radar mode we don’t have yet in the F/A-18 called “Velocity Search”. It can’t tell range, but it can tell you if there is something out there moving at more or less than 0 relative knots out to ludicrous distances.

Pulse encompasses Pulse Search and PSTT. Pulse search is the raw returns of what the radar is seeing, without any filtering for terrain clouds, or whatever. It is closer to what you’d see in an F-4B than what you’d see in an Hornet. PSTT is STT sans any gain filtering, again, analogous to the F-4.

So why the two modes? Well the AWG-9 was developed in the 1960s, and was based off a radar developed in 1955 (the AN/ASG-18). There are a number of complex problems to be solved there, and the way the engineer sat Hughes managed to effect their solution was using HPRF for finding targets at long range, as it puts out large amounts of energy which the receiver can see. The issue is that this large amount of energy can also bounce off things that aren’t dread blobs of soviet bombers: mountains, hills, clouds, cars, birds, and due to the primitive nature of the computers that were responsible for controlling the speed gates which determine what is and is not a valid contact, the AWG-9 can struggle to see targets with lower relative velocity in look down situations, especially over land. HPRF also creates range ambiguities due to the the method by which it functions, these can be filtered out with sekrit blood magic, but those arcane tomes had not yet been discovered.

The solution to this lack of faith in the computers of the time was to add the option to remove the computer from the process and put the radar controls directly in the hands of the RIO. These are the pulse modes. They also use Low PRF, which results in a lower range, but it was hoped would help ameliorate the ambiguous range issue.

It works, sort of. Vaguely speaking pulse doppler works by allowing a computer to start playing with the gain of what your radar sees when it detects a bandit’s aspect changing, it is trying to keep a distinct target blip against the background clutter of the ground. At the time of introduction (1974), it was found that a good RIO could manipulate the gain values faster and with more sensitivity than a contemporary computer could. That is to say a RIO with an AWG-9 could a radar lock more reliably than say, an F-15 with an early APG-63. That combined with TWS was revolutionary and unheard of for the early 70s. Remember the Tomcat was going to be fighting MiG-21s and very early MiG-23s at this point.

However better computers happened, that lead to better radars and better modelling and thus better understanding of the forces at play. Algorithms that handled gain became more effective, new beam shaping techniques were developed, the newer generation of radars became digital and were able to be reprogrammed without having to be physically retrofitted. The AWG-9 still had limitless power but the APG-63 became a much more versatile and reliable radar. There is a reason that when the Navy was looking to replace the AWG-9, they chose a set that was largely derived from a derivative of the APG-63 (as is the APG-73 for that matter).

12 Likes

Damn NB, you talking about the Tomcat actually makes me excited for it!

I’m actually more excited for @near_blind to get the Tomcat than I am for the release of it… :upside_down_face: I think we should make him do a livestream product opening when he downloads it and fires it up for the first time.

10 Likes

Near Blind’s Tomcat guide instead of Chucks :wink:

3 Likes

I’m more excited to see @near_blind sweat after all the pre-release demo footage from @BeachAV8R :grin:

3 Likes

You are a bad, bad man but that’s funny as heck :smiley: You deserve to rot in no-:f111: land for another four years for that :stuck_out_tongue:

Oooouuuuuchhh. Thats ok, @komemiute s going to skin me an f111 skin for the tomcat…

If i squint hard enough, and drink enough, i could be fooled.

Though i guess he could skin an f-111 onto the tadpole… but the f-111 didn’t have a reverse gear :yum:

3 Likes

Related to that I think I read that @Chuck_Owl might have to sit this one out on doing a Tomcat guide, as it makes his life complicated in terms of job security clearances with an active milaircraft (that isn’t always from NATO).

So if Chuck isn’t planning on doing one, then I think this could be @near_blind’s magnum opus!

18 Likes

Part 1 LoL…of a 12 volume set

6 Likes

You have more power to expedite that than I do :wink: :bowing_man:

You fool! I’ve been slowly stock piling PS4 titles for just this occasion!

Yeah, about that. I’m not exactly clear of that myself. I’ll be leaving the training documents to HB, I’m more of a history and tactics guy anyways.

9 Likes