DCS F/A-18C

bleh

F-ARC that looks good.

1 Like

We Americans have long known our hat is secretly full of commies :colombia:

1 Like

Fluoridation of water. That’s how it started.

4 Likes

I’ve been doing my part…

10 Likes

Smoke On!

The stream is back up :slight_smile:

"Oh hey there mr Fulcrum"

1 Like

map looks pretty cool, the smoke effects are pretty nice also. Are these present in 2.5 already? And is it possible to get the smoke without 500ft towering infernos?

maybe something like that?

Yeah, absolutely. There are four different sizes, with or without the fire, already present in some campaigns. You can place them in the same way as a static object. This has all but the largest version:

Edit: Actually, this is a bit more like what you were looking for. Wind speed and direction interact with it nicely:

That automatic recovery function when the aircraft was getting close to departure was pretty slick too.

8 Likes

Thanks Bunyap, those effects are excellent.

1 Like

Scale of 1 to 10, how close to this video will the cat launches get?

2 Likes
  1. Never a 10 because they will probably not have all the shirts running about the deck in any forseeable generation of DCS. The game will be closer than the video in a big respect: 3D instead of 2.
3 Likes
  1. You’ll never get the smell of kerosene and the chemicals in the steam, or the feel of the shimmy through the landing gear when the holdback breaks, or the smooth acceleration, followed by the slight kick and drop when you get to the end of the stroke and then the edge of the deck.
2 Likes

eleventy eight

1 Like

5/7

3 Likes

111 as in f-111

Well you are all posting numbers.
:f111:

3 Likes

I’m interested to see how this plays out. I hope the DCS rendition is the best yet. The P3d version of carrier ops looks great, but I believe the crew are static. I realize there will have to be some amount of “slewing” into place, would just be nice to have the gear actually hook up with the cat, the JBD come up, and some steam. The F18 will be awesome to fly, but I’m really more interested in how it will interact with the carrier.

Also it may be unrealistic from a resource standpoint to want an animated crew of shooters at least, but I think a detailed cat launch sequence would put DCS over the top.

Oh and an elevator you can’t fall through.

3 Likes

No worries, no offense taken at all.

ED does have their SMEs, so who knows. I had some time to ponder, it could be that older lots didn’t have that switch electrically held and those lots are no longer accounted for in NATOPS. Or, perhaps export versions didn’t have that since they’re not carrier based. I don’t know. Ultimately it’s a consumer product not an official sim and they can model it however they see fit.

I wouldn’t have any real value as a SME since, as you mentioned, I don’t have legacy time. I also don’t want to play with the potential conflict of interest being active duty professionally advising on current hardware, especially given ED’s physical location.

8 Likes

If it makes you feel any better, you would be dealing directly with Wags, and he is in the US of A… but I can imagine you have to be careful, and he has active duty pilots as well, and I am sure there is no fly information. Anyways, if you ever feel like you could help, just shoot him a PM, I am not sure how he vets people and all that.

1 Like

We are very much in a sprint now to create a Hornet press preview, which will then fold into the Early Access release version.

As is probably a familiar mantra by now, much of the work is focused on the air-to-to air radar with implementation of STT, accurate gimbal limits in reference to the antenna frame, and SRPS scan being done “electronically” based on gimbal command to correct azimuth and elevation values. This results in the actual antenna maximum sweep azimuth varies with aircraft roll angle in RWS. The antenna servo electronics have additional scan limits applied to gimbals: 40 degrees of elevation at maximum azimuth, and 50 degrees of azimuth at maximum elevation. This results in the gimbal scan limit having the shape of octagon (gimbals physical limits + the limits applied by servo electronics). This can be observed by moving the antenna up or down using manual elevation control on the throttle. You’ll be able to observe this by not touching manual elevation and set the aircraft roll to 90 degrees.

In the attached image, you can see some of this new radar code now manifested on the HUD in regards to target range and Vc. A big push is now on auto-lock for the ACM modes and correct attack radar symbology on the HUD and radar display (AA Gun, AIM-9, and AIM-7).

Navigation is basically done for the Early Access, but we’ll return to this after Early Access release and add additional functions like the GPS, Mark Points, Offset Aim Points (OAP), and ICLS. For now though, you will have TACAN, ADF, and Waypoints.

With Early Access navigation ready, this part of the team has now moved to implement the AG bombing modes on the HUD and clean up the AG gun HUD mode. Once this is done, we’ll be able to create some pretty cool videos.

The flight models is undergoing continual refinements and tuning, and it’s already quite close. However, we strive to make it even better!

We have completed all the planned skins for actual F/A-18C squadrons and we’re now working on skins for F/A-18A/A+ squadrons. We have not forgotten about you Canadians, Australians and Spaniards!

We will have seven interactive training missions at the launch of the Early Access Hornet to include: Introduction, Cold Start, Taxi and Takeoff, TACAN and ADF Navigation, Waypoint Navigation, Straight In Landing, and Overhead Pattern Landing. More will come as Hornet systems come to completion!

The Early Access Hornet Guide is undergoing art creation, and it’s our hope that we can release this prior to the Early Access release of the game.

Thanks,
Matt “Wags” Wagner

12 Likes
4 Likes