DCS Free Month: Heads Up, Folks!

I find that the 109 has a more tricky takeoff process; I did some experimenting and found that it prefers you to give it full power before rolling in order to get air over the rudder. Still very hard to takeoff, though landing isn’t too bad. The 190A though is very nice in takeoff and landing, but it takes a different overall finesse in the air compared to the 109. I found that against the DCS AI, the 109 offers more advantages than the 190A and shot opportunities are easier to take in the 109.

I was thinking about trying out the I-16 but I’m on Steam so can’t try it. Maybe I’ll buy that one this summer, but my WWII money is earmarked for the P-47 next month.

@schurem you’ll be disappointed to know that said WWII scenario running on HPN has Finnish I-16s on the axis side, to make up for limited axis A/G capability. On top of this, you can imagine yourself as the true underdogs: Finnish pilots fighting off the Soviet invasion in the 1939 Winter War!

3 Likes

Yes. Yes we do.
6f64579136c79f62a268f25107b0d590

I have the spit. But I dont have Normandy, the ww2 asset pack or any ability…
I really need to get a server set up on my wifes pc…

5 Likes

Free to try for a month! Except ability, that part will cost you.

3 Likes

How about a very simple airquake scenario on HP? No fancy scripts, tons of triggers and ground targets, just some client units to get at it.

I’d love to get the excrement kicked out of me in a rata vs a messer, then see how I fare in a kitty vs vic in his happy plastic bug :rainbow_flag:

Or perhaps I oughta find out how to host a flight myself. Call it schurem’s fight club. Do I need to do fancy things to my router or anything?

4 Likes

@Wes explained it very thoroughly to me a while ago. It seems pretty simple to set up.
My wife has “her” PC inside and I have “mine” outside. I think hers is more than capable of running a server on it. But again…I havent had chance to fiddle around yet.

Schurem’s fight club sounds badass!!! Plastic bug or not I wouldn’t mind that particular duel!! Cat on cat would be awesome as well. I’m digressing again…

Hey how about we give it a shot tomorrow evening when the kids are gone :fist:

2 Likes

A simple airstart mission would probably do the trick but randoms might give some problems with that scenario.

:salute: :vr:

2 Likes

You’re still missing the Hawk…

:tomato:

1 Like

hawk is dead…

Ok I’ll let you know when I’m home from work (slight possibility I may be sleeping in the truck) and the wife has green lit me :grin:

I flew an i16 last night as I failed in the 109. I crashed it while winding the landing gear up :disappointed:

2 Likes

Is it me or is the C101 totally underpowered? At 98% max weight, it took the whole runway and then some…hitting the ILS antenna brought that flight to an abrupt end (and brought me flashbacks of Viggen landings).

In her flight attendant days, my wife had occasion to fly 747s on long haul flights. On those long take off rolls, she recalls “rocking” in the flight attendant jump seat, to “help the jet get int the air.”…I might have to try that.

Speaking of underpowered…is it me or are the rockets that the L-39 uses more like strong firecrackers? When I put a bunch of them into a group of trucks, I’m lucky to get one kill. Hit the merchant tanker? Nice primary effect but no fires…after repeated hits!

It also seems to have a some yaw and pitch fluctuations that makes proper aiming a bit daunting. When rolling in on a target, even the tiniest bit of corrective rudder or stick will cause swaying or rocking respectively. Is that just the aircraft? Out is it an issue?

I like the cockpits of both mods and they seem very functional without the idiosyncrasies of the MiG-21 and MiG-19 mods. I’ll do some more flying in them but so far they have both left me a bit flat.

Which version of the C101 are you flying? The armed one (the B? don’t quote me on that) has a bit more umph, but compared to pretty much everything else in DCS that carries ordinance it’s underpowered. Pay attention to your weight and the amount of drag you trying to fly with too. The 19 rocket pods are nice, but very draggy. Over all it’s a fun bird once you get used to it being a lot less of a hotrod.

1 Like

Ahhhhh… :thinking: That needs some consideration that I have not been giving it. For example I noticed that both gun pods have the same weight (218 Kg IIRC)…so heck! Two barrels for the same weight as 1! But maybe more drag? Hmmmmm….

I do like mods that “make you think” about what you are loading compared to what you want to do with the jet. The ones that, IMHO, make you do this a lot are the MiG-19 (because you have such few A2G choices and its fuel consumption), the MiG-21 (lots of choices A2A and A2G but you run into weight issues real quick), the Viggen (with one exception only one type of weapon at a time and if you want CMs you really need pods) and Mi-8 (you can have lots of fuel or lots of weapons…but not both).

So the C101 is in the same category? Things just became interesting .

Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

Sort of, it has a very stores limit compared to most of our choices, so to accomplish the mission you probably need to be selective. As mentioned the engine isn’t the highest powered, AND you don’t have any countermeasures. So it really pays to study the mission, study the route, and be smart how you go about things. It’s a great little COIN bird, and I’ve been working on a series of missions in that vein that are more decision making based than pure bombing accuracy.

On a different topic, any one else getting a “Unknown module DEKA_JF-17” when trying to DL the JF?

2 Likes

If you’re on stable, you’ll get this message. I had thought the JF-17 was put on stable at the end of December but apparently I was wrong. Beta only for it.

@jenrick said it well re the amount of available power.

Interestingly, the C101 for some reason “feels” less powerful than the L-39 when I fly it…but it actually has substantially better climbing performance than the L-39, I tried it in a few scenarios and it came out winning every time.

As to the L-39 rockets - yes, you need a few hits on most targets to score a kill and don’t bother with anything more than lightly armoured. On the plus side, doing a Viggen rocket run after getting used to L-39 rockets will make you feel like you’re the god of Thunder, raining hell upon earth :grin:

1 Like

I’ll take a C-101 over a L-39 any day (it is one of my favourite planes in the sim actually), but yeah, it still feels a tad slow.

2 Likes