DCS: Normandy WW2

At the end of the day, i guess all want to know the answer to the biggest question…

When is the f111 being released?

5 Likes

One thought occurred when I asked that before, is that they might not know - or rather if it’s just a loose plan at the moment, depending on how well things go, then it might be worse to guess and then commit. Luckily the customer-base is fairly forgiving on evolving plans changing and won’t all jump off a cliff in protest if the commitment changes etc. :slight_smile:

I mean, if we get all ‘Ken Starr’ on this, then what’s an ‘Asset’ and what’s a ‘Pack’ :slight_smile:

I could imagine a Korean Assets pack, but wouldn’t that just be a 1950’s one? I’m thinking there aren’t that many periods to assetize? Given that, then it comes down to ‘stuff that needs lots of detail/work’, so that the Carrier Asset Pack might be a thing (I’m not up to speed on the info/rumors on that)?

4 Likes

The f111 would need two asset packs…

1. for the sheer amount of bombs it can carry
  2. for the world to stop revolving over such an awesome aircraft
2 Likes

I’m not asking for much. but repeatedly hearing our concerns are silly, isn’t reassuring in the slightest bit.

3 Likes

I don’t think anyone here is calling your questions/concerns silly, or rather that’s not how I’m reading it. It looks like a Sith/sobek tiff/joke/cuddle/deathgrip I think.

As for the ‘plans, no plans, don’t know’ choice, then each answer can be used to inflame at least someone on the planet. While I too would like more info I can see why they might wait and see.

The upcoming livestream might reveal more as well…

3 Likes

I am just warning you all now - I am only buying the asset pack and NOT the map.

Then I am building a five mission multiplayer server recreating the German invasion of the Caucasus using period assets and Russian lend lease spits and mustangs.

Then I am going to constantly complain that you all are snobs for flying around in Normandy when my server is ready to go.

I will show you all the power of an a la carte pricing model!

11 Likes

For the record, not a single person joined my Bf 109 K-4 Kurfürst vs AJS-37 Viggen deathmatch server. Not one.

:wink:

8 Likes

Maybe it wasn’t the choice of aircraft. <3 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Plus I can’t see how port forwarding on my router is my problem. The server runs great for me.

2 Likes

I didn’t know about it Fearless! That sounds awesome…You ran it in the beta didn’t you? That might be why NOOOOOBODY saw it.

Speaking of which - If you are enjoying @near_blind’s concerns over this, let me tell you, we are only two months away from my over the top meltdown at the map and pack being released in Beta (or as I like to call it, the third fricking version) and everyone telling me that it’s really not a big deal and it doesn’t split the community. Don’t think I haven’t been watching this little dust up with a bemused expression. Mark your calendars.

2 Likes

Holy, snappin duckpoo batman, how many asset packs do you need for that !

1 Like

It wasn’t the beta, it was my special ‘DCS epsilon’ build, just for Nvidia v378.78 DX12 that enforced VR (Vive only, firmware XVI) using a server-side enforced ‘fog of war’ rule-set that used the NTTR map, C-101 Aviojets (v1.3) and upuaut’s Seafort mods assets.

Sadly unpopular. The trouble with MP is that people just don’t make the effort to play nowadays :wink:

5 Likes

Feels like it nestled into that nowhere zone - too much for me, too simplistic for everyone else…

3 Likes

I think that’s the road that’s leading to a lot of deliberation. We know there’s 2 very popular Naval modules coming in the (hopefully) near future, so…

Say the F/A-18C comes out first at $59.95. You can get the Carrier-add-on for $29.95 a la cart or the bundle for $74.95. Now 6 months later the F-14A/B comes out, also for $59.95. Is it going to be compatible with the carrier released with the F/A-18? Will there be a similar bundle deal for the F-14 and the carrier?

If I buy the carrier assets pack is that a guarantee that I’ve bought the fruits of whatever ED’s work into simulating Naval Ops is going to be, present and future? Or am I going to need to buy the Carriers: Vietnam asset pack if I want to appropriately fly my A-4/A-6/A-7/A-8/F-4 in the future?

Point is, with the new asset packs, I have no idea what the heck I’m buying. For a module I expect I’m buying use of that virtual aircraft, documentation, and funding continuing support and (if the devs are generous) more features as the sim becomes more versatile. For a map I expect I’m buying the use of that terrain and continuing support for the functionality of that terrain with supported DCS modules.

With the WW2 Asset pack I’m buying… what exactly?

Just that set of vehicles and continuing support for their AI and models? Is this a promise ED will continue to add to that collection of vehicles or adjust the AI to act period appropriately (bomber formations, flak, etc)? At what point does that get cut off in favor of a new map pack, say, DCS: WW2: Eastern Front?

I’m going get called back as being ‘pathetically naive’ for this (we have a badge for it, PM to ask) but I don’t think they will do another 2.0 branch for this map. It’ll either come out with NTTR as part of the ‘switchable maps’ work or it won’t. Shirley?!

3 Likes

If you’re serious, I’m serious.
I’d love to provide for the Russian liveries for western vehicles. All of them.

2 Likes

Here? Not quite…

[quote=“sithspawn”][quote=“sobek”]
I find it extremely bad form to label warranted customer concerns as silly.

It is not unreasonable for people to ask where ED is going with their business model. That is nothing untoward.
[/quote]
That’s your opinion of course. To assume everything is going to be sold in packs now even though we have gotten so much free in the development of 2.0 is in my very humble opinion… silly. Comparing to the adding of many new high quality models… silly. Sorry, its the best word I can think of.
[/quote]

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3075593&postcount=36

but I’m not exactly feeling the love either.

One hopes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nope, we operate under the ‘Forum Multiverse’ parallel universe concept here - that’s a different reality so doesn’t count, and evidence is mounting that it doesn’t even exist. The near_blind and sithspawn over there is just the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, where they are waiting to collapse into a single eigenstate here. Until then it’s hard to understand the context. It’s all in the terms of service (see section: Schrödinger) . :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thank you Komemiute, you would always be the first person I would call for a project like that.

Truth be told though, I will be flying and squirming like a kid at Christmas over the Norman countryside like everyone else.

But that doesn’t let you off the hook. No sir. The P-47 is justifiably famous for it’s varied liveries and sometimes very ribald nose-art. There are several that I would like to see done so you may be very busy when that is released.

I’m building this next one right now -

4 Likes

3 Likes