DCS Open Alpha NTTR Available!

Still downloading here too… I’m normally a very patient man, especially when it comes to anything Eagle Dynamics related, but they’re really, REALLY pushing that…

I’ve got about 10 people with big internet upload capability so far adding to the ED download speeds, so I’m hopeful it’ll get better in the next couple of hours or so.

If you’re using the dcs_updater and its torrent ability then you should just carry on with that - that’s the bit we’re trying to make faster with community seeding.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2578693#post2578693

Well I’m finally in the final steps, sad thing is it took 36 hours to get here. Thank god for Battlefront and COD BOPSIII for allowing me to vent my anger. Lol

I’m curious, does this include the revamped ATC or has that been pushed back to some later release?

I think it’s the normal ATC so far, but don’t know for sure. On doing some flying I’ve not noticed anything new in that area.

After a few days I finally got this installed and I have to say I have never seen anything like it in my life!

How can I ever go back to FSX after this?!

DCS: any interest in talking with PMDG and sharing maps!?

1 Like

New ATC is not in the sim yet.

I’m in! I’m in! But… where are Excalibur and The Venetian? There were a lot of things that definitely never happened according to the official record at those two hotels over many weekend trips from San Diego.

Also, are there no heliports on the roofs of any of the hotels here? I tried landing on the flat spot in the middle of the roof of the Bellagio, and sort of fell through the building. Definitely wasn’t all because of my lack of skills when it comes to landing helicopters, either.

Remember, the focus is NTTR, so things like helipads on certain buildings might not be working, whether that changes in the future is unknown right now…

2 Likes

It’ll be interesting to see how many more ‘Hey, my pool is about 20 yards in the wrong location’ sort of ‘bug’ (lol) fix requests now the map is in Vegas. I’m not sure many Batumi residents through the years complained :smile:

It’s still remarkable to me how ‘urban’ so much of the map is, as when people say ‘NTTR’ then I think of a big slab o’ yellow , while actually Las Vegas is a big city and modelled in quite some detail. Miles and miles of houses, malls, interstate etc.

PS I love the US style trucks - makes a huge difference for immersion for me. The little things…

1 Like

To round this off, especially as we now have a better community way of seeding ED releases in the future, I wanted to leave final instructions incase anyone downloaded this and didn’t know what to do. While there are peers I’ll seed, but do plan to drip it down and do the ED ones 100% soon. Thanks to all that helped, as hopefully we did help some people get their NTTR sooner.

Instructions If You Use the NTTR Pack Called ‘NEVADA_terrain.common.zip’

What you do is unzip the contents into here (I’ve put spaces around the slashes otherwise the forum software does something to them):

DCS World 2 OpenAlpha \ _downloads \ .torrents

…so you have a folder containing all those numbered directories like this:

DCS World 2 OpenAlpha \ _downloads \ .torrents \ NEVADA_terrain.common \ (those numbered directories)

Then you use the shell command (cmd as administrator in your open alpha 2 install location)

bin \ dcs_updater install NEVADA_terrain

This will then see all those files in the .torrent directory under downloads, check them all with a ED verify and download any updates it needs. It’ll then unpack them into the correct mods directory automatically.

So just to repeat, don’t have anything in the /mods/terrains directory already if you used the NEVADA_terrain.common.zip.

If you used gregecslo’s pack and then not this one then that’s different I think.

In the future we’re moving to this rather than triage with individual torrents again (it was useful at first, but now we can help out the official dcs_updater method).

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=153903

I’m planning on cruising down the strip again tonight- I didn’t see the In N’ Out on Sahara last night when I was flying over.

1 Like

For trademark reasons look out for ‘Out N’ In’s’ instead :smile:

1 Like

HOLY CRAP YOU MEAN ITS IN THERE?!?!?!?!

Time to hop in an Abrams and recreate my first time in Vegas!

Oh, I feel bad now - I don’t think so. But do look out for impermarco Froggy - it’s the best store to CBU apparently. :smile:

PS because I feel bad about making a bad in-and-out gag, did you see the hanger at Groom yet? There is a secret there (not joking this time).

1 Like

I haven’t been out to Groom Lake yet, but I’ve been planning on heading that way- looks like I’m taking a Flanker up there either tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up!

You know every forum I’ve visited regarding NTTR release and observations seems to be euphoria. People are just absolutely overwhelmingly positive about this release. I’m seeing old players (usernames) I’ve not seen in ages posting on the forums again. Seems ED and DCS have finally arrived big-time! :+1:

2 Likes

@fearlessfrog Preview of next module? Maybe that means we’ll get an Intrepid class with working flight ops.

2 Likes

OK, that was rather brilliant. The under construction signs were also a nice touch.

1 Like

A couple of off the cuff thoughts…

I think it would be great to be able to somewhat more easily mod the terrain with regards to making the theater whatever it is to whoever it is that plays it. For me (for instance), I would be totally fine with playing a 10 or 20 mission campaign that was soley based on being a SAR helicopter based out of Vegas or a satellite area that did medevac, rescue, or searches all over the map (within helo flying distances anyway). I know there is a reluctance by some to embrace non-combat type flying in DCS (C = Combat), but it really is a win/win for civil aviation users and the combat users. If civil type flying adds more vehicles (targets), structures (targets), and objects (targets)…well…you see what I’m getting at. Detailed objects and scenarios that work for civil units can translate well to additional content for combat pilots. You’d have to have a really closed minded view to not understand that opening up DCS World to a wider audience will only enhance the combat world you might specifically want to fly in.

Heck, for that matter, NTTR would be fine for practicing pilotage and dead reckoning in something like DCS Cessna 172 for that matter. As I’ve said time and time again…DCS has a huge potential since it is a sim that is going through continuous upgrades and development. FSX and P3D are definitely the standard, but there is no reason why DCS couldn’t shave a bit of that enormous market share.

BeachAV8R

2 Likes