DCS OpenXR Quickstart Guide for G2 and other WMR headsets

I dont get what opencomposite is for.

To use OpenXR instead of SteamVR for games that otherwise don’t support it

@JJay03 To get DCS to show up in the Opencomposite UI, go all the way to a flight. Not just the main menu. At least that’s what seemed to work for me.

So then as I suspected I do not need it.

For me, setting reprojection to auto causes stutters.

This is probably because of motion reprojection. The G2 operates with 90 frames per sec. If DCS produces lower than this you’re going to miss frames. Motion reprojection fills in those missing frames by extrapolation, essentially faking a screen by comparing with previous frames. This often leads to wavy images when things are moving fast, like looking through a propeller arc or flying low and fast, etc.
VR certainly has its fair share of drawbacks and it isn’t for everyone. There’s a lot of tinkering with settings involved and if you get hung up on the visual limitations you may end up focusing on this, which exacerbates the problem.

Same here. Always/Force On and it’s fine.

1 Like

First, Welcome!

I don’t know if you’re new to DCS either so I’ll assume so…

DCS isn’t plug & play with VR (or really anything when compared to a lot of other games). A G2 will only be clear near the center. Just the way it is. The future is Foveated Rendering (headset tracks your eyes and makes the spot you’re looking hi-res). Maybe they can update the G2, but I doubt it.

VR is, to me, about adding another dimension (from 2D to 3D); it’s a different experience. In general, at G2 prices anyway, we are just not close to a 2D monitor in resolution at, say, 60 FPS in DCS with a lot of ‘stuff’ happening. I wish it were so.

I have a pretty good system and I still needed to do some work to run the G2 smoothly and at as high a res as was acceptable to me.

OpenXR didn’t give me any performance increase but it did remove the frequent crashes I got with SteamVR.

There are some posts here (site) on things to try to improve the performance for VR, which should allow you to bump up the resolution a bit.

Welcome again!

1 Like

I am computer illiterate. I followed instructions on this thread. Open XR does not pull in DCS as the instructions show when I click on configure tab. I run it through the oculus app. Is this the problem? DCS still starts and I am able to play it without problems however I don’t notice any change at all. I’ve never played it through the steam app. And I know the purpose of open XR is to bypass the steam app. Should I delete the oculus app? Not really sure I want to create more problems than it’s worth.

This whole OpenXR thing is mainly useful to people using an HP Reverb or other Windows Mixed Reality (WMR) headset. The standard rendering pipeline for WMR through SteamVR is bad.

If you are using an Oculus, don’t bother: DCS supports Oculus’ interface natively

5 Likes

Thanks. I have been playing DCS since February. I started out with a 1080p Ultrawide and a system I built in 2019. I have now upgraded everything 5800x, x570 msi mobo, 64GB of 3200mhz ram, 980 pro nvme, and EVGA 3080 FTW3 12GB. I just was want not expecting VR to be soo demanding on my PC. I did just order a 320mm aio to help cool my CPU.

I will be starting clean soon with a new install. All I should need then is openXR from the microsoft store? No open composite needed since I wont ever have steamVR. OpenXR tool kit also sounds like something I will want.

1 Like

If you have a G2, you’ll need Opencomposite too. I’m not trying to sound glib but in the OP with the link to the guide, will take you through the process as well as anyone can say it here. To quote that guide.

"You need 3 things

1. OpenComposite Release

2. OpenXR Tools

3. OpenXR Toolkit* [OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED], Sharpening Saturation and Contrast controls, Reprojection etc etc…"

1 Like

I have a G2 but I thought open composite was just so it uses Openxr and not steam? I have read the guide but it does not explain everything.

I think that I understand what you are asking. Even though you won’t need SteamVR to use your WMR headset in DCS, the sim will expect to see SteamVR as the OpenVR API. Opencomposite fools DCS into thinking that it is using SteamVR for OpenVR and allows DCS to be used with OpenXR, the open standard technology for accessing VR and AR. You need Opencomposite.

3 Likes

Thanks for explaining.

2 Likes

No problem JJay03. There is a lot to digest and the technology is constantly evolving.

FWIW, using the Opencomposite launcher makes the install fairly painless. It’s working pretty well for me. I’ve got DCS (with the mentioned DLL rename), IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad, Assetto Corsa, Assetto Corsa Competizione, and rFactor 2 working well.

Edit: I figured out why IL-2 wasn’t launching. It works fine with Opencomposite, but was hanging when OpenXR Toolkit initialized. Fortunately, there is a new version of the Companion app which allows you to select which sims that you want to use with OXRT.

1 Like

My opencomposite never showed the dcs icon. Its seems to work fine though.

I noticed that it doesn’t show a game on the Configure page until I run it once. If the OpenXR splash screen is showing when DCS starts in place of the SteamVR one, then you are good to go. But if it isn’t, try renaming the D3DCompiler_47.dll in the bin folder.

Mine looks like this now. I had to run these games once before they showed up.

“These games use an old version of D3DCompiler_47.dll that is incompatible with some OpenXR Runtimes. If you experience an error with OpenComposite resulting in a -2 error code then find the D3DCompiler_47.dll in the game install dir and rename to D3DCompiler_47.dll_orig. This will then use the one from your system path that should be the latest version if your system is up to date.”

3 Likes

Ive run dcs many times and renamed the D3DCompiler_47 file a few times and still no difference. Do you need to have opencomposite open when you run it? DCS is the only game I have on this PC.

I’m not sure. I think that I’ve probably had it running and had the Configure windows open too.

That’s dedication :smiley: :+1: