DCS OpenXR Quickstart Guide for G2 and other WMR headsets

1 Like

Does it need to “see” it running once before it will work, or work correcdtly/optimally?

I’m getting a little corn-fuzed myself here (my fault): it’s all working, or at least it doesn’t crash, but I don’t get that icon. XRToolkit works, if that means anything. I don’t see any perf. improvement -BUT- SteamVR crashes are no more. Just wondering.

I think that I had both the Opencompostie Launcher and its Configure Window open. The cool thing about that configure is that you can designate which games use SteamVR API and which use the OpenXR.

Concerning the SteamVR crashes in DCS, they were getting so bad, maybe 50% of the time. I was over an hour in a Fear the Bones night campaign mission, had just left the tanker, got a pop-up group from Wizard, and crash. Mutha forker! Since switching over to Opencompostie/OpenXR, and that was like a month ago, I haven’t had a single one! Not one. I have turned up the contrast just a little in the Toolkit, but not much. It gets overly black in a hurry. I might look at reshaders again, but right now I’m really happy with a stable DCS VR experience.

1 Like

Same on both counts. NTTR looks better too, not so ‘muddy’…is a word for it?

1 Like

Considering the fact I’ve become pretty tired of VR in DCS due to the constant need to fiddle with it and it crashing, I might need to muster the focus to setup this Opencomposite thing once and fix all my quarrels with DCS VR.
Otterwise I am afraid my G2 will become an expensive dust collector.

For me, getting the thing right took some doing, but hey, PC gaming. Falcon 3.0 was way worse back in the DOS days. But now that it is running, it’s completely hassle free. I think ED would do well to integrate this into the game, it’s that good.

3 Likes

Did they fix the problem where you had to manually delete or replace D3DCompiler47.dll?

Oh man, yeah. I recall almost holding my breath every time I clicked the ‘go’ button, hoping it wouldn’t crash this time, again. Falcon 4 was worse if I recall, and both ran poorly (at least I can buy something that will run DCS over 20 FPS).

These things are terribly complicated as we are outside the throw-away type games. I can’t foresee us ever having other than the two current choices as the ROI must be un-attractive given the smaller customer base. Hoping to be proven wrong.

Oh, and OpenXR, while I see no performance improvement, has reduced my frustration level. At least in one area.

1 Like

The increased stability allowed me to focus my tweaking on getting a stable 45fps. It’s rock solid and I’m rocking almost full-on settings, including the snazziest of shadows.

The Super Carrier is the only thing I’ve noticed that takes some of the sass out of my new system. At least since the last update (where they added “stuff” to the SC). Hopefully they improve on this.

Oh----what the heck is the key combo to get into the SC Airboss position (or whatever it’s called)? I can get to the deck crew but I’ve seen pictures from up in the island somewhere.

It’s really worth it. I haven’t had a crash in DCS VR since moving to Opencomposite.

Yes, for DCS and Dirt Rally 2 if you want to use the Opencomposite launcer. See my link above for more detail.

What does this look like - is it same as SteamVR - ‘exploding star field-like-thing’, only blue instead of black & white? If so I’m good. If not…I’ve hosed something.

Thanks

Yes similar, and as you say blue instead of black, but no room afterward.

Room? Dang, think I’m off here. I plug the headset in and this:

1. WMR window pops up
  2. Double-click DCS
  3. After chewing on stuff the, now blue, star-field-explosion thing
  4. DCS hanger/main menu.

Been buggin me as I wasn’t quite 100% that I had it setup right. It doesn’t crash anymore (SteamVR) so I’m happy-ish :slight_smile:

1 Like

On a different note…DCS Performance drop oddity related to the canopy?

Scenary

• Hornet
  • Super Carrier
  • Dawn
  • Broken weather

So, when I’m looking through the canopy (after lowering it) at the SC Island the FPS drops, mostly it ‘jumps’ from ~ 20-35ms frametime, up & down. Tested this a few times.

This has been a ‘thing’ for me for some time but I always thought it was due to all the extra computations being done after I’ve fired the Hornet up (engines running, etc). Which always coincides with the canopy being lowered. But it seems to be an issue with the canopy texture, causing a drop that is more apparent in the above circumstances?

I run OpenXR Motion Repro = Always On and when not looking through the canopy it’s a steady 45 & smooth, no matter what I do (so far).

Canopy down, again looking at the island (which likely adds just enough work to bump it down) it drops to 30ms. Still mostly smooth I guess however.

Google’s on it…

Best I can come up with:
https://forum.dcs.world/topic/268000-massive-fps-drop-after-update-to-27/?do=findComment&comment=4714877

And I’ve been noticing this for a while so perhaps something to that post?

You’re good to go. I was refereeing to the SteamVR launch where you see this view inside a domed room before DCS loads.

1 Like

So I installed a new motherboard yesterday and reinstalled windows. I am getting 75+ fps now! I was only getting 45 before.

What are you guys using for your nvidia settings?

1 Like

Not sure how much this really matters in the end; I think have a clean system (gettting rid of all the junk Windows puts in there, etc) is what helped me get the most from my system. Talking DCS in VR here. So, here’s what I currently have:

A search should finds, somewhere in here, a thread (or three) about all this.

Thanks for the quick reply! I will try this out.

So I made a few tweaks and getting around 80fps now. Looks pretty good my only issue is when looking around in the cockpit at the left or right panel I notice it the most that I get a bit of studdering I guess you would call it. What settings might resolve this?