DCS: Spitfire Mk IX

What are you using for brakes?

Toe pedals.

1 Like

For the Spit, I use the slider on the Warthog throttle for brakes. Toe brakes are not precise enough for the Spit, at least in my experience.

3 Likes

I’ll give that a go, thanks for the tip mate!

1 Like

You are welcome. It still won’t be easy. A quote from a Spitfire pilot…’She was a Lady in the air, but a real B%$#* on the ground’. I think ED managed to capture that well… :smile:

1 Like

My ground handling improved a lot since I made the handbrake
These days I use the axis lever on the VPC stick.

3 Likes

nice @Troll!

The zoom wheel on the warthog throttle did the trick. It still went off the runway, but at least I managed to keep the spinny bits spinning until I was done with them, not they with me. Taxiing still is … exciting. But doable. Thanks @PaulRix!

2 Likes

I normally prefer IL2 props to DCS. But in the case of the Spit, I agree with @schurem. The perspective in IL2 seems off. The pit is too big. The IL2 also gets tailheavy in ground effect. 777 says that the real thing does that too. While that may be true, DCS Spit just handles better to me.

1 Like

Spent some fair time in the Spitfire recently, and really enjoying it. Although a bit of a thread resurrection, I was wondering if anyone knew the answers to these system questions?

• On a takeoff from an unpaved airfield, some campaign missions mention using the ‘Dirt Filter’. I am using the carb filter (under the throttle) lever and then turning it off once gear up, but I wonder if dust ingestion is even modeled? Has anyone had any evidence this is implemented?

• The Oxygen value seems to be just on/off, while I think in real life the option was more to turn it in variable decrees, as otherwise you’ll only get about 30-40 mins of flight time. I think hypoxia is modeled in DCS, so maybe I just turn it on/off when above 10k ft (or maybe a bit higher)? The @Chuck_Owl’s guide says to turn it on at takeoff, but I’m running out of air too soon.

• Does the windscreen deicing mechanism work? I took it up pretty high to test the super charger ‘gears’ but have never needed it. Is this in DCS or not implemented in the Spitfire? Same question for pitot heat I guess?

• Leaving the radiator open doesn’t seem to input drag that much - is it quite subtle, as from CloD etc I remember it making quite a big impact to performance?

Also, I have a weird desire to try out the underneath signal lamp with a morse switch - I bet @Franze know morse from his Army days, so something to try out on HPN. :slight_smile: :flashlight:

1 Like

I’ve always left the Oxygen alone until reaching an altitude where it could possibly be needed.

1 Like

I’ve seen no evidence of this. Perhaps part of a future plan?

The P-51D and Spitfire IX have the oxygen system automated. You can only control the emergency flow. I’ve had the emergency system off and suffered no ill effects at altitude, so it’s clearly automatic.

Never seen it actually do anything, nor have ice for it to remove.

I’ve honestly never noticed any drag issues with manually opening the radiators. I get more concerned about overcooling the engine when doing this.

Sadly, the morse key and lights are currently borked. I also don’t know morse… And would be surprised if anybody in Army Signal is even taught it these days!

2 Likes

Good info - thanks.

It’s funny, before diving into a bit in some detail than before (I flew it quite a bit at launch day time) I always thought of the DCS Spitfire as ‘done and dusted’ but now I really have an irrational desire to see it patched/updated. Funny how that works. :slight_smile:

--- ..- - .-. .- --. . --- ..- ...
1 Like

I wouldn’t call it irrational since ED charges $50 for it by default. That will net you IL-2 Battle of Bodenplatte. For the money, I’d expect ED to at least fix the various bugs that crop up, most of which are relatively minor ones.

I know, right?!

1 Like

So I got this lovely new stick grip from Virpil with this nice bike-handle type brake. Decided I’ll see if the spitfire now is any more doable. Le nope. Tried a instant action takeoff and pranged it ten times in a row. I run out of rudder authority in the third iteration of the PIO from hell.

Help me Obi Wan KeForum, you are my only hope! What is the secret to taking off with a spitfire (and landing it… brrr…)

1 Like

I just need to use the brakes when landing…
When taking off, set ruddertrim slightly to the right and don’t use full power and increase power slowly. No flaps. Keep back pressure on the stick and let it fly off.

4 Likes

Make sure auto-rudder and takeoff assist are off in the Spitfire’s special options, otherwise you’re fighting the system which always leads to a lack-of-authority situation.

5 Likes

Oh yes! Definitely turn off all that crap!

How embarrassing, turns out I already had auto rudder and takeoff assist turned off. With them on, my takeoff was much more… civilised. Turned them off again.

Tried it on a different airfield. Not pretty, but got airborne at once.

I think I shafted myself for trying to do the quickstart Nevada takeoff for the spitfire. It’s a tiny tiny runway, barely wide enough to accomodate the spitfires’ wingspan. With a little more room to play, I didn’t fall into the PIO trap as bad and managed to get airborne in a relatively airmanlike manner. Even managed a landing at Biggin hill that didn’t result in an immediate writeoff of the crate!

What a monster.

2 Likes

I watched the Collins Foundation display pilot talk through a Mustang takeoff and it was interesting how much he emphasized the importance of rudder trim and gradual increase of throttle on takeoff roll. I would image that the Spit has similar torque considerations, albeit with a narrower undercarriage. Need to try that mission you spoke off.

In the Spitfire a little nose down trim and making sure you roll straight for a little bit after lineup are important.
Stick back, run her up to 0 boost, brakes off, smoothly apply power up to 12 boost. The tail wheel will come up quickly at which point there’s not much to worry about