DCS: Spitfire Mk IX

Duxford is a magical place :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s unfortunatly been some time since we last saw him around here, but I know @Decibel_dB had the oppertunity to fly a LF Mk IXc. Or atleast, it was one before it got converted into a two seater :slight_smile:

A couple more. After adding some curves to the joystick axes and making sure I was at about 90mph over the threshold, I think I am starting to tame the beast.

Without a doubt the best simulated Spitfire I have flown. Absolutely marvelous in VR apart from the gunsight issue with ASW that Chipwich already mentioned.

4 Likes

Cool - thanks Paul. Looking forward to trying it over Xmas. A funny thing about the ASW for me is that on the gaming keyboard (clicky clicky!) I use at home I don’t have a numeric keypad so can’t quickly do the ASW off thing. :slight_smile: I guess I can set up a soft on-screen keyboard and click them like that? :vr:

Hi Sryan, you’re right I flew a MK IX, well had a ride on it more or like but I got the chance to hand fly it and I am really impress with the module. As a matter of fact if it wasn’t that difficult to buy a module for others in DCS I would have offer a few Spit for Xmas.

Real fast I can think of a few things are a bit off and need polishing.
Engine sound first, specially the “rattling” sound once at idle. It sound like something went loose.
I think we can distinguish the prop spinning a bit to much and I wish they could model the smell
and oh yeah, landing the real thing is way easier.

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Small practice sessions
trying to figure out best way to do touch and goes. Should I land on two points, raise flaps and then take off again. Or land on three points - full power , take off and then clean up.

Video flown using Oculus and then replay recorded using hauppauge hd pvr 2, Sound is a bit low due to user error. You can see rudder spiking all over.

1 Like

I couldn’t resist; I love Spitfires. Plus, it was $35.

3 Likes

Ecxuse me Mr MiG21bisFishbedL
can u come to cut grass in my yard too ??? :grin: :grin:

2 Likes

I know right?! That’s one way to kill a snake
! :airplane_arriving: :snake:

1 Like

A very funny way !!! :smile:

Right then! Let’s mow, in that case!

4 Likes

That’s the worst case of acrophobia I have ever seen
! :fearful:

2 Likes

It was magical. Got home and downloaded the Spitty. She is a handful to fly but I have not flown a WW2 bird in a while. Then it all comes together and I started to “get it”.
This is going to be a great Christmas.

2 Likes

Actually, I thought she felt easier than any other of the piston birds.

1 Like

The spitfire was know for being easy to fly and quick to master. Allowing the pilot to focus on what’s around him and not his plane.

1 Like

I just love this plane, I can wait for what Normandie will bring as immersion and gameplay, I know the Dora and the 109K wasn’t there but still that will so good. I like direction of DCS even if their fan base would have prefer them to continue there effort into modern jet, they are doing what they have said. Chapeau messieu great module

3 Likes

I think it’s important to keep in mind that they got stuck with the hot mess that was the WWII Kickstarter when those people gave up on it. They did it to retain faith in the product(DCS). I am pretty positive the whole WWII project caused significant delays with a lot of other projects along the way.

Take off + land.

2 minutes dogfight vs 190

2 Likes

My Spitfire MUST be broken. I expected her to be as easy as pie to fly and the easiest ground handler. The opposite is my experience.
Day One “I guess, I should not even try to fly it after ONE glass of wine”
Day Two “Uhmmm something must be wrong with my Warthog HOTAS”
12 hours later. “I can barely manage to take off but it sure is better than my landings”

Just to be sure I went into the 109’s pit right after. I landed just fine and I found it easier to ground handle.
This is due to the toe brakes.

Here is what I find wrong. (BTW, I am sure this is something wrong I AM doing)
The most annoying problem is the brakes. I owe the RAF about a dozen propellers. I keep tipping over because brakes are so sensitive.
My Spit rolls and weaves all over the place. My Roll control is jacked up bad. Banking is impossible. I end up nose down every time.
My Spit porpoises up and down. A stable platform it is not.
I end up scrapping the wings and crashing on almost every landing.

In time I will probably love this aircraft. For now it is really hard to fly

It is probably just be me, but my impression is that the rudder is overly sensitive. Like I can snap roll the aircraft with half rudder input. I’ve found success in taxing by keeping low boost and just constantly tapping the brakes and applying rapid, small differential adjustments, the plane demands attention on the ground. I’ll let you know how I land it when I manage to do it successfully :laughing:

Otherwise my overall impression is the aircraft is just twitchy. If I’m not smooth on the controls the thing loves uncoordinated itself. On the other hand when everything works, it’s agile enough I’m confident it can turn inside a hovering helicopter.

It’s definitely an awakening coming from my comparatively sedate and botherless mustang.