DCS: Spitfire Mk IX

For Taking off, I am doing better just ignoring the rudder advice and instead hold an almost full deflection on the stick to anticipate the torque roll kick. With a smooth push up of power the thing practically leaps off the tarmac. @Maico - try that?

I once read a Hurricaneā€™s pilot method of taking off, that was applying 40% power, letting go of the brakes, and once the aircraft was rolling gently increase it to 100%.

Itā€™s probably a tricky affair in the Spitfire for sure. Perhaps look at the actual manual? I noticed @Chuck_Owl also has a guide out now!

1 Like

I tried that method for my first take-off, as I do the same with the P-51, i either gave it too much boost or the spitā€™s nose goes down a heck of a lot faster

Hmm, donā€™t have it myself but I am curious on how the engine response is nowā€¦ Should I buy it?!.. No.Stay Strong for the VIGGGEEEEN!

4 Likes

iā€™ll see if i still have the track, probably deleted that one :smiley:

*yup deleted, I didnā€™t put in a whole lot of time with it yet, but on the ground the entire seemed to do 2 things, stop or roar, finding an appropriate taxi speed was hard at first, for me at least. Iā€™d buy it, certainly nice to have the power to take out a 109 or 190 far more easily. Only time I managed to kill the engine was when i dropped altitude and forgot to adjust the boostā€¦ whoops

Fearless,
Thanks a mil. I am at work now but itching to get home and give it another go. I will try what you said. I have been watching some vids on youtube and that seems to be the trick.

two posts by tail draggers instructor explaining things. Good read.

3 Likes

Fearless,

I took your advice and my takeoffs are now a breeze. Still I scrape the wing on landing, but its getting better.

THANKS ALL.

2 Likes

I was having the same wing scrape issue. As someone with at least a few hundred hours in the Dcs mustang this was extremely frustrating.
I developed a technique for my self of applying aileron in the same direction any time I use the rudders on the ground. If Iā€™m using the breaks then I add aft stick and aileron. Sounds like a lot to think about, but itā€™s just about automatic for me now in the spit and my landings have been pretty consistent.
Iā€™m also still using the rudder pedals for breaks. Might not be realistic but it has made the process feel much more natural.

2 Likes

Whatever woks best for you, no ā€œrightā€ answer. For landing, a lot easier to just dance on the rudder until speed slow and then use gentle braking.

3 Likes

Not right, but more correct. And yes, dancing helps.

Thing, is, you canā€™t learn to takeoff and land by reading about it. Itā€™s a technique that must be learned by hands on training.
Some say itā€™s a lot like witchcraft and wizzardry, that only certain superior humans can accomplish. These superior beings are usually called pilots, or sometimes ā€˜aviatorsā€™. :wink:

Dancing on the pedals is something that goes against my own instincts, but it works.

1 Like

This is Sooo funny. Yesterday I was watching wagmattā€™s video and saying, ā€œWhatā€™s He MEAN Dance on the pedals!ā€ But today I totally got it. I had to ā€œDanceā€ my butt off and this kept my wing tips off the tarmac. It was a great day of ā€œtrainingā€. Fearless Frogs advice of a little right stick, neutral elevator trim and judicious ā€œdancingā€ on the pedals got me off the ground consistently. I also curved the pitch and roll to +10. I had gone the other wayā€¦ wrong! Inputs are now telepathic. Just think where you want her and she GOES!
Now that I have ā€œearnedā€ flying the module I began to beat up the field. OMG!!! You can literally make a circle small as a clown car. She sings, she dances, she makes Julian fries. I understand why everyone is flying so low. Simply put, its an incredible aircraft. German aircraft pilots need to brush up our skills. My initial thought that the 109 was better was Wrong, Wrong, WRONG.
Next I went up against the 2 109s. While she donā€™t climb like the K, she makes up for it in so many ways. That cannon sound is as addictive as Sugar. I cant wait to fly against the Fw.

Thanks for the advice and thanks ED for a such a fun bird to fly this holiday season.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve missed most of the upset over the MiG-23 from Razbam due to the Spitfire.

Iā€™m quite partial to this blue as itā€™s similar to what USAAF photo reconnaissance Spitfires had painted up in. Wrong mark of Spitfire, but oh well. No sense in nitpicking that, when we have the Kurfurst.

7 Likes

I do believe that color is called Photo Recon BLUE for a reasonā€¦

PRU Blue for the official US Military designation, since they adore acronyms.

Maybe we need another thread but for now Iā€™ll stick this here

drool

we have a thread for the spitfire Mk XIV

1 Like

Those are some really good essays. Part three on landing was already published:

1 Like