DCS Strait of Hormuz Map

Before I get into the rant, a lot of this is nakedly skewed by the fact one of my favorite books is set about 50 NM north of the edge of the map, and the fact I can’t make missions for it is maddening.

But in my head, this map is essentially going to be the Iran (and maybe Russia) vs the Gulf Cooperation Council ( and maybe the US, Maybier the UK, France and whoever). On the GCC side you have somewhere around 100 modern F-16Cs, Mirage 2000s and F-15s. On the Iranian side you have this:

and I’d take those numbers with a healthy grain of salt.

Further more, Iran has nine air bases. Four of them are located on islands that have runways of marginal length and are going to be entirely un-supportable once the red flag goes up anyhow. Of the remaining five three (Qeshm, Bandar Lengeh, Lars) are civilian fields that look like they could be knocked out of action with a single F/A-18s worth of GBU-31s. One (Handarya) looks to be a military field but mostly oriented towards supporting naval surveillance aircraft and helicopters. Finally Bandar Abbas looks to be a mixed use field, but is the only one that actually has bunkers, HASs and dispersed hangars.

In my lizard brain, I’m seeing the options of a red trying to push over the straights, blue trying to push over the straights, and some sort of neutral, unconventional conflict centered over the straights.

My concern is the majority of playable airfields (thus objectives) are on the “blue” side of the straight. Red is going to be attacking with a force consisting primarily of thirty year old aircraft into a wall of Patriots, AMRAAMs and MICAs. I don’t see how that’s anything but target practice for Blue. In a scenario where Blue is pushing into Iran, outside of the greatest IADs you’ve never seen, I can’t imagine where it would take more than five or so sorties to entirely knock the Red air force out of the fight. After which the music is over. That’s not to say Red automatically would lose, but it’s harder to craft a scenario where they don’t when their air bases are so fragile and clustered near the enemy. Chabahar or Shiraz create distance, and distance creates time, which with ambiguity creates tension. It’s harder to fit a pop-up threat in a smaller area and make it a surprise.

The most interesting of the three would be a neutral engagement. The geopolitical rub that makes Hormuz interesting in the first place is a disproportionate amount of Europe and Asia’s petrochemicals flow through a narrow body of water surrounded on three sides by an unfriendly country. The question is: can the US (and GCC) prevent a geographically better positioned but technologically inferior enemy from closing the straight and or causing unsustainable damage to civilian shipping?

Problem is. We don’t have the assets. We don’t have the proper US Warships save one, we don’t have any Iranian naval vessels or land based ASM and SSM sites, nor do we have Dhows, Tankers, Trawlers or civilian vessels required to create a mission more ambiguous than “sink tiny boats, protect bigger boats”.

This, to me, is a disappointment. I’m not ready to say the sky is falling. The recent announcements for the Hornet and the WWII stuff signal to me that ED seems to be set on expanding the list of assets again, and my complaints about size and arrangement of the terrain were eventually fixed marvelously on the NTTR. This can all be mitigated.

I’m just saying that in six months or a year when we’ve leveled Bandar Abbas for the fiftieth consecutive time, I better not hear @Tankerwade complaining about how all we seem to do is level Bandar Abbas.

7 Likes

Or, in a Dash 8, where we add power to taxi off the runway… :wink:

2 Likes

Alfred Complaint

7 Likes

Small Statement from Wags Concerning SoH…
_"To avoid any confusion and be as transparent as possible, this image shows most of the map.

The general operations area for the carrier groups would be in the Arabian Sea.

_

Posted a couple of msgs up already @Phantom88 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sooooooo,

Ooops:wink: Thank You Kind Sir.

1 Like

How would one close the straight? Mines? Nuke it from orbit? Traffic lights to red?

Broadly speaking: Sink enough ships (or present a convincing enough threat) to convince either the ship owners, or the companies that insure the ships, that it’s not worth the risk. No ships transit the straight, the oil from the Persian Gulf does not reach markets in Asian and Europe. Those countries catch a minor case of EXTREME MARKET PANIC, and eventually the effected governments are forced to either intervene militarily (ha!) or use their clout to broker a diplomatic solution to the conflict.

As for how to do it? Numerous options. Your obvious ones are the combined forces of the Iranian Air, Naval and Ground Forces. Aircraft can deliver bombs and missiles. The Iranians invested heavily in shore based anti-shipping missiles, and when in doubt big guns work well. The Iranian Navy has a small but relatively capable force of missile and gun armed frigates and corvettes, as well as a small force of Kilo class submarines.

Iran also operates a paramilitary force called the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, which have their own naval forces primarily built around small, fast, heavily armed fast attack craft. These aren’t going to be packing anything sophisticated, mostly heavy machine guns, recoilless rifles and RPGs, but that’s all you need to ruin the day of an unarmed ship with no maneuverability. In congested waters like the straights themselves, or in the vicinity near the Islands Tunb, Abu Musa and Sirri, vessels like these punch above their weight. There’s also your standard sneaky stuff like covertly arming civilian vessels for all-or-nothing attacks to disable ships, or your good ol’ fashion suicide boat.

Also Mines.

Again, sinking ships is good, but in reality you need to create the impression of danger. You don’t need a whole lot of dakka to do that, especially in waters as confined and traffic’d as Hormuz.

This has all happened before, albeit on a much lower intensity.

During the Mid-80s, with the war on land largely stalemated, both Iraq and Iran attempted to strategically defeat their enemies by undermining their economy, aka Oil Exports. So they both started attacking Tankers

Problem is when you just start killing any tankers, bad things happen. The US, both to protect petty things like the economy, pledged to protect friendly shipping (also gave us an excuse to mess with Iran, we were still very mad at them).

Shenanigans Happened

One Frigate Hit a Mine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Samuel_B.Roberts(FFG-58)

We very politely expressed our displeasure with that whole mining thing.

More Shenanigans

And finally we got fed up enough that we flipped the table.

Then we accidentally shot down an air liner and it all got terribly awkward, so everyone went home. For like six months.

Even today the occasional news story will pop up where a US military vessel is transiting the straight, and the Iranians will send out a flotilla of small ships to poke at the beehive and see what happens. It’s an area that’s fraught with tension, and with the proper assets and a little tweaking to the coalition system, could make tense missions the likes of which we have not seen in DCS. Just requires a bit of investment.

7 Likes

Here are some of my thoughts. Over the past 30 years, the USA has been able to concentrate an overwhelming superiority in military power against any nation anywhere on the globe. In addition, the Gulf States have built up considerable military strength as well. Therefore, most people will associate with the Hormuz map a modern scenario where a a vastly superior alliance led by the USA will club a hopeless outdated Iran into oblivion. In games, I do not find such one sided scenarios particularly enjoyable. I like to play the evenly matches scenarios, or even scenarios where you have to prevail against the odds. Therefore I like to dial back the time frame to eras with a more even balance of power.

I like to look at the Hormuz map in the context of a pre-1991 global conventional war between the USA and the USSR. What this means is that the considerable US resources are thinly spread over commitments all across the globe, from Germany to Norway, the Mediterranean, Israel, Japan, Korea, the Aleutians, Cuba, and many, many more places. With simultaneous global combat, any theater would have to make due with the limited forces available. Especially “minor” theaters. And contrary to what the historical engagement of the USA in the Gulf would make you belief, and despite its strategic importance, the Strait of Hormuz was considered a secondary theater in the context of a global war.

Maritime Strategy Presentation (for the Secretary of the Navy, 4 November 1982)
Basically, the SWA [South West Asia] SLOC [Sea Lines of Communication] protection mission would be deferred in favor of engaging Soviet Far East forces well forward.

The thought was, that while the oil supply from the Gulf was important for the Western economy (especially for Europe), supporting the defense and ensuring survival of Korea and Japan was even more important. So our Hormuz theater would probably only see a single CVBG at most, perhaps only for a very limited amount of time, and perhaps even none at all. While actual war plans are of course highly fluid and depend on the particular circumstances, USN doctrine foresaw one CVBG forward deployed to the Indian Ocean. At the outbreak of war it would quickly destroy the Soviet Indian Ocean Squadron (with its bases in Yemen), then swiftly move to the Pacific. In transit it would strike the Soviet naval base at Cam Ranh Bay in Vietnam, before joining the other 3 active Pacific Fleet carrier groups in the Pacific.

As for local forces, the air forces of the Gulf States were a lot less capable in the era up to Desert Storm, mostly consisting of small numbers of Mirage III and Mirage F1. In addition, a deployment of 1-2 squadrons of USAF or Marines fighters for support could be expected. Remember, any squadron put to the Gulf would be missing somewhere else.

As you can see, in the context of a global conventional war, the US side would have to cope with very sparse resources on the Hormuz map. I think this provides some very interesting opportunities, especially for multi role fighters. A campaign around the deployment of an USAF F-4E or Marines F/A-18C squadron would include strike, fighter and SEAD duties. Then of course there could be a campaign resolving around a single carrier in the Arabian Sea without any further support. I could also imagine a scenario, where in the absence of a CVBG, a squadron of AV-8B is put on the Tarrawa LHA to create a Sea Control Ship and provide limited fighter cover against minor threats (for example to cover mine clearing operations in the strait).

I am not quite sure though how to set up OPFOR with the small map we will get. Iran hostile (most convenient with the present map, but means western vs. western equipment), Iran neutral (most likely, but unsuitable for the map) or Iran occupied by USSR (works for the map, but would have invoked a much bigger response by the USA). Unfortunately we cannot use Iraq, which would have likely allied with the USSR in such a war.

5 Likes

I’m just going to let this rest right here…Like a Cherry Pie by an Open Window!!!:smile::smile::smile:

7 Likes

Remember when we complained that Ace Combat had better graphics than realistic sims yadda yadda?

There you have it. Happy now?

8 Likes

I’ll be in my bunk.

1 Like

oi! gtfo my bunk you bilge rat! it aint yours till 1800, so i have ten more minutes and thats all i need. now scram!

4 Likes

My brain initially took it as a seriously fancy photograph!

1 Like

What’s the source of the image @Phantom88?

1 Like

Wallpaper posted by ED on their FB page.
I know, I’m not @Phantom88:slight_smile:

3 Likes
3 Likes

Don’t worry, Ace Combat 7 is coming out next year, I think the bar will be raised once again.

1 Like

I honestly think the gap can now only be so big… and that gap is getting narrower.

1 Like