DCS VR - SteamVR has encountered a critical error

I think it’s just a case of a bad overclock rather than a bad card. I up’d the juice and it seems ok. I guess DCS has started to use the GPU more overtime (which is good) and it was enough to stress it out.

1 Like

I haven’t worked out how to take a screenshot or video that captures both fpsvr and the game window for the F16 mission you wanted testing

1 Like

Thanks for still thinking of it! (F/A-18C Hornet - Syria - Free Flight - Instant Action)

I was thinking maybe put the WMR mirror on and then just take a desktop snip with fpsVR in view or something?

This is a whole desktop cature so you can see Steam VR but not FPSVR

1 Like

Thanks for doing that. It looks like about 21-22ms with the orange there. Looks beautiful though!

It’s the GPU side that is the problem the CPU chugs along in the green it’s an 8600k currently running 4.9 on all cores. I had to dial it down due to the heat created by the 3090, it’s not so much it runs hotter than the 1080 it’s just there is more of it and my poor 10 year old water-cooling can’t keep up :blush:

What temps are you getting, @cib?

Looks like you have most settings on high in DCS?
What PD and Steam VR resolution settings do you use?

Send that 3090 to me.

obi wan kenobi these are not the droids youre looking for GIF by Star Wars

2 Likes

Temps are normally around 70c for the GPU , PD1.0 in game steam vr as 100%
In-game graphic settings

1 Like

Just to check: are you basing this on frametimes? I don’t see any fpsVR or even DCS (Ctrl-Alt-PauseBreak I guess?) measures of GPU/CPU timing in the video.

Because temperature or even load may not be good indications if the bottleneck is CPU- or GPU-related.

Yes frametimes it’s just I can’t seem to record fpsvr

1 Like

Just for any google searchers in the future, as I hate finding things on the web that then some doofus say’s they’ve solved it and then they don’t say how.

I think WMR reprojection was crashing because I had G-SYNC enabled on my 4K 60Hz monitor. When I turned that off the SteamVR crashes seemed to stop. Hope that helps someone else.

6 Likes

My temps I mentioned somewhere round here where getting rather high with the new GPU. I did some detective work and discovered my real exhaust fan was backwards pulling air in not pushing it out.
Changing it round gives a temp decrease of between 5 and 10 degrees C

1 Like

I am having serious VR crashing issues in DCS.

I changed from a 1080 to a 3080Ti and using a Reverb G2. On the 1080 I never crashed, but performance was just not comfortable. On the 3080Ti performance (when it lets me load in) is stellar, but I crash all the time… and no, not the virtual aircraft, the program itself. :slight_smile:

The only scenario that seems to work is Caucasus map based missions, like the Viper Free Flight. It load without a problem, but when I try to load Syria, for example, with DCS quits or SteamVR quits with a critical error.

When DCS crashes it’s usually after loading the map at ’ Waiting for pooled tasks’ and when SteamVR crashes its usually just when entering the pit after loading in.

I have WMR for Steam set to application controllerd.
SteamVR is set to motion smoothing per app.
Under DCS’s app settings in SteamVR I have Motion Smoothing enabled.

Still, I have fiddled with countless of combinations of the above settings and no different results.
For those wondering; I did do a clean driver install of the Nvidia drivers after swapping the GPU.

Any idea what might be causing this?

P.S. 2D mode in DCS runs flawlessly.

Steam VR beta or release version?

Did you install the GPU drivers since you swapped the 1080 for the 3080?

Try deleting your shaders. Caution, DCS will take ages to start up again as new shaders are compiled.

You could also try reinstalling WMR portal, Steam VR and WMR for Steam VR.

Thanks, but tried all that.
SteamVR and WMR latest stable, no beta.

If you’ve done all the usual things (turning off all reprojection on the WMR side, cleaned out fxo and metashader directories from your DCS saved games location etc etc) then one extra thing to try is to completely remove steam and reinstall. Follow the manual uninstall instructions here - Steam Support :: Uninstall Steam

1 Like

Yassy, Have you tried Stress Testing the new card? Is it a brand new card or was it a used card? it could be defective but I would run a stress test to check first

Its a new card, not a miner one.
I doubt it is faulty as DCS is the only thing that’s giving me problems, but its worth a check, thanks.

Yes, Well if is new might not be an issue but still best to check. Also have you verified the files for Steam VR and WMR for Steam VR? sometimes when Steam VR Errored out for me and I did that there was always a missing file when verifying.

3DMark and FurMark don’t throw errors.

Pretty sure its software that’s causing problems. Verify files also didn’t return any issues. Its driving me crazy.